We've just eaten what I'd call 'a transport caff' meal, for lunch. Daughter bought us some back bacon up at Thanksgiving, from her local Fresh and Easy [Tesco] in Phoenix, [can't find it anywhere else] and I'd got English bangers from the health store in Flagstaff, so we had bangers, baked beans, fried eggs, back bacon and chips. Heart attack on a plate, but we loved it for a change. We do tend to eat very British despite being over here a long time, roasts on Sundays etc [or joints as we call them, which makes the Americans sit up and take notice!]

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With 30+ years in France, I have pretty much adopted a French lifestyle – including their way of eating. There are a few English things I do miss though, the main one being a decent cup of tea. The Fr

We seem all to have this problem, not finding the food that we yearn for in a "foreign " land. A lot of things I can't get here so I make out an order for the British corner shop. Order £100 of goodie

I live in LA and have for the last 30 odd years. Any of you remember the chip shop across the street from the front of the Fire Station and police hq where I used to work? Their minced beef pie and c

Bangers from a 'health food store' now there's an oxymoron if ever there was one ........LOL

Yeah, doesn't sound right does it. This huge health food store has a butchers, deli, fish counter, cheese counter and cafe, besides all the organic stuff [Flagstaff is renowned as a tree-hugger town, kind of Birkenstock wearing, granola eating folks] The butcher makes wonderful sausages.

I could do with some decent black pudding. The stuff here in Oz is a bit ordinary. In our town there is a eatery which serves aussie food, but on the menu is liver, bacon, onions, mash & gravy. Food of the gods. Although not British I fell in love with grape jelly jam in New York. There's a American shop across the other side of Melbourne so I'll have to go and stock up.

Problem I have is we can't get "proper" Bovril! The stuff they sell here is the vegetarian variety! Fortunately, Marmite is stocked at the local supermarket - although a little on the expensive side!

A recent thread on the MG bbs I frequent proudly professed to have found a new British food at the supermarket - "Spotted Dick"! Actually, it has been around for years, so it gave me a bit of a laff!

I bought Bovril back with me last month, haven't had it since I was a kid, and forgot how beefy it is. We had spotted dick for pud after thanksgiving dinner last week, that and steamed syrup sponge and blackberry and apple crumble, all with Bird's custard. The Americans we had as guests loved it all.

When we lived in California, we found Albertsons carried a full line of imported English cheeses, found they also sold crumpets too! Locally baked near Sacramento. The wife was hooked on crumpets with lashings of butter and topped with a spreading of Bovril! Delicious. Opposite the airforce base on Watt Avenue was a little restaurant called "Touch of Britain, run by two ex pat Brit ladies, speciality??? You guessed it Fish and Chips! They also run a shop selling all Brit food imports. Do a Google for Touch of Britain. Pier 9 also sold some Brit foods like Jacobs Cream Crackers. But Sacramento has a large ex pat Brit community.

Are your crumpets what I'd call "Pyklets" ? If so SWMBO has Marmite on them , me I love Marmite on toast.

I started reading this thread at about 8.30 am (Before my breaky ,) and it made me peckish so I volunteered to take the kids to school, and come back via the local 'Morrisons', Walls bacon and sausages, large pack of each £3 for the pair!! and (going all continental on you now) Moules marriannara (Mussels in cream and garlic sauce) £1.75 (special offer)along with a French 'farmhouse' loaf. FOR BREAKFAST!!!! I hear you scream, it's an old habit I picked up during my 4 years in Ibiza, all washed down with a litre of coffee.

Keep me going till the cows come home !!!

(It'll be one or the other by the way , Moules and bread, or Bacon , egg , sausage,!!!!) ...........................Honest !!!!

Blimey, do you have a death wish Beefsteak, I wouldn't survive trying to eat that lot for breakfast. Quite fancy it myself for tea though, except only outdoor reared bacon and sausages allowed in this house, though how you prove all that is beyond me, except it seems to have a better taste, or is that simply a psycological thing.

Pyklets, quite right, ask for them down here and you get a blank look.

That's them Ian, but piklets are a Midland terminogy, probably just around Nottingham, crumpets are the correct name. I have tried making my own, but they never get as thick as the store bought ones. And Steve, you'll get hooked on them with Bovril, it's like a narcotic!

Actually, there is really no shortage of British stuff around here - probably our proximity to Canada and the number of Brits that come over with the car companies (especially Ford) helps. Most supermarkets have Marmite, TyPhoo Tea (and PG Tips), pickled onions, Branston Pickle, Salad Cream, Chocolate Digestives (they seem smaller), Hob Nobs and a selection of sweets (candy). Pretty amazing really - when I first came to the States, it was rare to find Bass or Guinness in bottles - now it is draught in most bars!

So, if TyPhoo put the "T" in Britain, who put the.... oh, never mind! :blush:

2 Grilled sausages , 2 grilled bacon rashers, 1 dry fried egg, (No extra fat involved whatsoever), two plum tomatoes, noggin of French Farmhouse bread, mug of coffee, no health risk there AFAIC

2 Grilled sausages , 2 grilled bacon rashers, 1 dry fried egg, (No extra fat involved whatsoever), two plum tomatoes, noggin of French Farmhouse bread, mug of coffee, no health risk there AFAIC

Is that your lunch in addition to breakfast!

Never tried pikelets with Marmite, sounds a great idea, I just nipped up to Sainsburies to get some bits and try marmite pikelets for lunch, parking was out of the question, got in a panic because I ended up in a permit zone next to the police station, ended up buying the essentials and forgot the pikelets. I'll try that tomorrow, I'm not going back now.

The most over the top breakfasts I ever had was when I worked at Butlins when I was a skinny youth in the 60's. We were supposed to have breakfast in the staff cafe, and we could have as much as we wanted, but I used to have mine in the self catering restaurant where I worked. Every other week I used to do the 3:00am floor polishing job in the restaurant, 4 times the normal hourly rate, it was a tradition that the management served breakfast to us afterwards, fresh kippers to start with then everything fried going, in multiple, plus baked beans, you had to sit down for a bit after that, if you could.

Incidentally, can you get kippers in the USA, oh exiled one's, I wouldn't have thought that you could, you can have them sent on from Loch Fynne, but I think that Greene King have taken the company over now, so I won't be bothering in future, purely on a point of principle of course.

I have to say that I love a nice fresh kipper for breakfast, not those tasteless things in plastic bags with a nob of butter included mind.

Sure when you know where to find them, but had to give up the kippers, give me terrible acid indigestion later on.

Errr breakfast in the pit canteen with a meal ticket was about the biggest breakfast I ever ate and regretted. I don't know what the canteen staff used to add to those, but believe me constipation never occurred! There was also a rumour that there were timed capsules of the strongest laxatives added to the beans or tomatoes, as it worked just as you put the key in the lock of the door on arriving home!! WHOOPS!!!

My missus loves mushy peas!! She turns her nose up at bread and dripping and cheese and onion though, although she's not fond of onions unless they are cooked.