I think Jaswant Singh had a younger brother there at the same time. I don't remember any other children of an ethnic or immigrant background - well, apart from Brian Nowicke (spelling?) who may have been of a Polish family, although I don't remember him having an accent.

I visited the `Golden Temple' in Amritsar in February this year and the other huge Sikh temple in New Delhi also. In New Delhi the Sikhs fed 100,000 meals a day to the poor and homeless(ANY person regardless of colour or creed). I found them an amazing sect,their beliefs and practices akin to Christianity without a messiah. Tall,strong and intelligent. I met one Sikh family at the Golden Temple,who explained some of their thinking to me in a broad Scottish accent! He was from Glasgow. Since the visit my opinion of Sikhs has rocketed.(the ones who fully follow their teaching) Not so the average Indian (less said less chance of me offending the P.C. brigade)

• Upvote 1

There was a girl in my junior class at Blue Bell Hill by the name Nowicki (sp) I'm sure her family migrated to Australia, can't recall her Christian name, maybe Janet.....A long time ago...

There was a girl in my junior class at Blue Bell Hill by the name Nowicki (sp) I'm sure her family migrated to Australia, can't recall her Christian name, maybe Janet.....A long time ago...

Very likely related to Brian then I would say..

• 1 year later...

Ayupmeducks,

Bit late l know but just spotted this one.There was a Janet Knowicki who lived on the next street to me Ferrers st which was close to Blue Bell Hill,she did have brothers,Brian rings a bell, last time I saw her in the 90's she worked at Nottingham Playhouse ticket office.

I wonder if her parents didn't like Oz, so they returned to Nottingham???

• 2 months later...

As I've mentioned on another posting in the St Anns thread recently, I was at Blue Bell Hill from the autumn of 1959 until leaving, aged 11 in the summer of 1961.

Below is the photo of Class 4 taken, I think, in spring 1960. Miss Woods was the class teacher. For the last year we then moved up to Mr Lowe's class, a gentleman with a withered hand. The headmaster was Mr S. P. Leigh. Other teachers I can remember were Mr Tennyson, Miss Barker, who took the infants, and Miss Gascoigne, who became Mrs Watson during my time there.

We also had a visiting music teacher who was blind, but who had no trouble playing the piano during lessons.

I can't remember all the names on the photo, but I've put those I can.

BlueBellHillSchoolPhoto_zps56d0e595.jpg

Left to right:

Back row:- Ronald Glover, Kenny Watts, Brian Nowicke (spelling?), Gordon Whittaker, Keith Hill (?), Jaswant Singh, Keith Radmal (?), ?, ?, ?, Geoffre, y Gibson

Middle row - Me, Alan Crabtree, ?, Janice Farrell, Hilda(?) ?, ?, Margaret Taylor (only we didn't call her Margaret - I won't give her nickname), Helen ?, Jennifer ?, Harold Fowler, David Chillman

Front row - ?, ?, Denise Winter, ?, Karen Marshall, Lesley ?, Maxine Griggs, ?, ?, Diane Winter, Christine ?, ?

Denise and Diane Winter were twins. Although they didn't really look alike (different hairstyles, and Diane wore glasses, which she's removed for the photo) they always dressed the same.

Michael Gosling was evidently absent as usual.

Just to let you know GOSSLING is how my name is spelt, I was absent because I used to have to do lots of errands and stuff in those days, unlike some of the luckier kids, but I do remember lots of the names on there, Helen King, is one of those missing, the Blind Music Teacher was Mr Saunders, the girls all loved him, I remember Dancing the Polka as well as other dances in his lessons in the new building, it was also used for P.E. I remember the ropes and other equipment in there, also the Dinner Hall, my Wife was the Caretaker there for many years after it became the Blue Bell Hill Community Centre.

• 2 years later...

I remember Maxine Griggs. She went to school with me at Haywood School in Sherwood. I also remenber Denise Minta. Her Sister Diane went to a different secondary School. met Karen Marshall too, but only once or .

Does anyone remember the Murfins? There was Patsy, Barbara and Marilyn. I think their mother was German. The y all used to have really long hair and have it in a plait round their head.. I can remember when patsy was an Angel in the Nativity play. The first time anyone had seen her with her hair down. she looked beautiful..Also remember Christine  Daykin who lived on Bluebell Hill Road. She was a very tall girl with and  had a friend who was also very tall called Christine . Used to see them down at Jepsons on a Saturday night  for dancing. Lovely memories. 

• 4 years later...
On 12/2/2009 at 4:44 AM, Stan said:

Nottingham schools in top 100

Click here to read their views.CITY schools have been ranked among the country's best for the development of their pupils.

Blue Bell Hill Primary in St Ann's has been named the number one school in the country for the value it adds to its pupils' education.

It scored 105 for contextual value added (CVA) – a measure which takes account of a school's circumstances and compares it with how well its children do.

Head teacher Jo Bradley said: "We believe in allowing our children to make as much progress as they should, or are able to."

As an ex pupil of Blue Bell Hill School this sounds like good news ,but what the heck is CVA? Can the kids read ,write,and do maths better,to equip them for better jobs.

Still its a good effort,I remember not so long ago BBH was right at the bottom of the heap.

Just had another thought.

In my day we did not have CVA . Music was the sop which the kids were fed. However the education was good if VERY tough( wow were the teachers quick with the cane and strap) but everyone could read,they could do arithmetic in their heads,and could Speel!

Blue bell hill used to call it donkey hill !