Trainspotting in Nottm in the 50's and 60's and the ECML

memories from my boyhood at Bulwell kiss gates in the 50s and Doncaster..

I used to go to Ruddington station bridge from Clifton, .... Grantham of course from Nottingham Victoria and Newark from Nottingham Midland to Newark Castle then a walk across town to the LNER station,
all mine was done in Basford area

If you haven't come across it before, take a look at this site http://www.rcts.org....ia&srch=&page=0 and scroll down a little way

I've set the location to Nottingham Victoria, but if you click on the "Location" box you'll see all the other options available. Hundreds of photos which will keep you occupied for hours

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And the front view

Groan, you all say, another bloody train thread, fair enough. For us keen types, and there are several on here, it was a way of life during this period, quite innocent and promoted by kids programmes

"Namers" made me smile! I'd forgotten some of the terms we used, how about "streaks" "jubes" & "pates". Never thought to google the numbers, would have come to me eventualy, Thanks for the tip Ash. Had a look at the pictures of the old victoria station but it's to long ago I think to jog any recognition

Have posted a new photo in "Old roads into Basford" topic, maybe of interest to ex trainspotters or railway fans, and here,s another, a rare view of GCR and GNR mainlines plus Basford Tunnel ( the rathole) note the GNR name slab, original poster suggests although the tunnel was a joint venture by the GCR and GNR the tunnel was probably paid for by the latter as it profited them more hence "their tunnel"

66-72-15780rathole.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes we would spot at Derby station just for the train ride and somwhere different, I remember that on the platform there was what I can only describe as a "victorian dynotape machine" For 1d you would move the dial round and the press the pedal and what you printed out would be on aluminium strip. Never knew if it had any practical use or if it was just for kids to play with. Anyone remember it and any ideas.

• Upvote 1

Wasn't the Nottingham Midland one on the access to the platforms bridge? there was also one at Hull Paragon Station early 1950's, and a "recording studio"! about size of a phone box you your money in the slot then stood there thinking of something to say! the recording came out on a floppy square piece of vinyl that you had to trim to fit a record player,

There was a recording booth in Bournemouth station. We used it in around 1972. I probably still have the record somewhere.

IMMSC the audio goes something like :-

My dads voice,

"Hello this is the Sheppard family, we're having a wonderfull holiday, except"........ and the next bit was totally unrehearsed, all of us together, "It's piddling down with rain"

"This is George Sheppard , the father"

My mum, giggling,

"This is Sylvia , his daft wife"

"This is Ian the middle sized lad "

next my sister in a silly squeeky voice

"This is me Jackie"

My dad is then heard to chastise her ("Now come on , do it properly")

Finally my brother (In a babyish voice)

"And this is the little one "

We are then heard to discuss what to say next when my dad bursts into song

"We're all going on a"... and we all join in on the .... "Summer holiday" Only to be told by mum to stop as it always rains when we sing that song (It did too) my father is then heard saying "Bit bloody late for that"

He then starts singing

"Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away........."

We all joinewd in till the record finishes.......!!

Ah memories !

Stupid at the time, but priceless now Eh Beefsteak.

I do have some poor recordings of my father on one of those tiny dictating cassettes.

I wonder if they can be cleaned up digitally?

I never knew Bulwell in the days when it was full of railways so it's fascinating to see all those places. It's like seeing all the still photos on Nottstalgia, but moving.

And if you play it right through to the end, check out some of the other videos which are "advertised"

I was one of those watching on Bulwell Forest when Flying Scotsman came up the GN/GC connection with the Crosti held on the main line. I do have still photos of the occasion. I must look at the film again to see if I can see myself.

Some great footage there! We have every right to be nostalgic. There were thousands of them and it makes you wonder where they all went to be dismantled and scraped. How many bits are in some enthusiasts collection somewhere. How many were sold off to other countries.

• 1 month later...

Just taken delivery (via ebay) of 2 Book Law publications - Steam memories 1950s - 1960s: No. 31 Around Nottingham and No 43 East Coast Main Line 2.

Each comprises 70 b&w photos supplying shed loads of nostalgia. Rekindling memories, especially Attenborough, Kimberley (putting pennies on the line to see who could get the largest, flattest one), and glorious days at Grantham. Highly recommended.

living so near the sheds in netherfield i used to sit on the sleeper fence at the bottom of our terace and watch all the trains come and go to the sheds the mallard the flying scottsman and many other well known trains used to pass by us once a year the sheds had a open day and people use to come from all over as there was always a special train on displayalso once went in queens coach when it came in for some kind of repairs, but the one thing that is unforgetable is the smells that went along with the trains and the sheds.

Hi P&B

I was fortunate to work at Colwick loco in 1962 when I left school They actually used to pay me to be around engines all day got to fire them and even got to drive some. Little did they know that as an avid spotter I would have paid them for the pleasure. However the 49 shillings they gave me helped to fund my away days to York Doncaster Crewe Tamworth etc they even gave me free travel passes to help me get there. These were headyt days the sounds and smells of a busy loconever leave you. Unfortunately Dr Beeching had already begun to swing his axe so mine and Colwicks days were numbered so in February 1963 having worked through that atrocious winter I left to join the Navy and then the submarine service but thats another story (anybody want to hear it )

• Upvote 1