Trainspotting in Nottm in the 50's and 60's and the ECML

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And the front view

Groan, you all say, another bloody train thread, fair enough. For us keen types, and there are several on here, it was a way of life during this period, quite innocent and promoted by kids programmes

• 7 years later...

All the pictures seem to have either disappeared or are blurred.

Remember talking my parents into travelling via Grantham for our holidays on the South coast. I wanted to be pulled by a nice green shiny Pacific locomotive.

On this occasion, St Simon glides into the platform, pleased my plan is working we board the train.

Shock! Horror! Having just settled into our seats, St Simon glides past light engine having been detached from our train.

Worse was about to happen: a brand new shiny diesel (D 1502) backs onto our train.

"Can we get off and wait for the next one? " says I.

That suggestion didn't go down too well, and we stayed on board.

I realised that it would soon be goodnight to these marvellous elegant beasts, and disillusionment set in.

A couple of years before, I had again eagerly awaited the arrival of one of these wonderful behemoths, only to be disappointed when the blue Deltic turned up. I must have been the only one disappointed at this development, as all the trainspotters were wild with excitement.

Not I. It was like waking up Christmas morning expecting a nice shiny new bicycle, only to be confronted with a trumpet!

The writing being on the wall for these dinasaurs as the rot took hold and they were allowed to deteriorate, before disappearing to that train set in the sky.

I didn't need to stand on a cold platform to watch the Lincoln mail train. I sat on my bed in a warm bedroom to watch it.

until the final throw of the dice, the loco was always an Eastern region one, often a named B1. Geoffrey Gibbs seemed to haul it more than most. It always seemed to be kept in fairly good condition at the time.

The final days before diesels took over, black 5's had a go.

As modernity took over, train spotting lost its allure. Couldn't get excited watching boxes on wheels.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Dark Angel said:

All the pictures seem to have either disappeared or are blurred.

It's Photobucket being awkward. When the photos were first posted, use of PB was free. A couple of years ago they decided to charge people for the service. Fair enough if that was for new customers, but they applied it in retrospect to everything which had been posted in the past, and if you don't pay up they blur your photos.

It's all over Nottstalgia and there's not much can be done about it unless people are prepared to re-post, using a different system.

Cliff Ton ... Thank you for your response.

I do have a query: I seem to have got some hearts and arrows, I assume the hearts are people liking what I have written.

Do the arrows indicate that it's my round for the cider?

Sorry, as I think this is maybe in the wrong place.

• 4 months later...

Until looking at all the different photos of the steam trains, i didn't realise that there were so many different versions ! To me, a steam train was just a steam train. Amazing how you view things differently when you get older, or is it just me ?