Things we did as Kids

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I used  to go scrumping with the kids next door,we would cook the apples in an old tin on a little fire we had made,they tasted bloody awful and we had terrible belly ache.

Don't think Mam or Dad ever hit me....but the way Mam looked at me sometimes i thought 'ey-up' here it comes,,,Dad used to threaten me, but i knew he'd never do it,,,,Always remember when i was about

Here's my "Gadder or Galley" KatyJay.  I've had it since I was a teenager - it is now looking a trifle sad and in need of some new elastic and sling:      

I wasn't going to admit to this , but when I was a lad, a mate and I got 'done' for "Stealing 14 pence worth of public electricity"

He's in one phone box , I'm in the other at the bottom of the road , ring the operator and reverse the charges to the other phone box !!! works brill but it's abit bad when a copper pulls up and nicks you , (A terrified 11 year old !!)

• Upvote 1

Some great stories of the misuse of phone boxes here.

Fynger, I recall during the big freeze of 1962/63 we filled one of the old red telephone boxes right up to the roof with snow, really packing it solid, I'm sure it was the phone box in Strelley village, probably during the night when no-one was about, I seem to remember that it was like it for days as it froze into a block of ice.

I seem to think that tapping out a call was only possible on STD phones rather than the old 'push button B' type, remember them. When my ex-missus moved down to Braintree in 1975, we discovered to our amazement that the town was one of the last in the country to convert to STD and still had push button phone boxes, including the one outside her flat, it had been obviously converted to take new pence, a couple of 2p's I recall rather than 4d, the same box is still there, not far from here, could be a good candidate for an influx of snow if tonights weather forecast is correct.

The problem with STD boxes was that the line was open when you struggled to get your 6d in. Not realising this, I phoned one of my few friends with a home phone, his mother answered it, and as I struggled to get the money in, I was effing and blinding profusely. Eventually I got through and politely asked for Derek, she politely responded that Derek was out, paused and said equally politely,'An interesting use of the English language there'. I didn't dare go round her house for weeks afterwards.

Another thing about STD boxes, Lambretta TV175 keys were supposed to fit the coin boxes, I never tried it or saw it first hand, but I was informed of various incidents where this happened, what did the Mods do with a bagful of 6d's, take them to the bank?

Craig will perhaps know!!

I do remember using one of the two phone boxes in Carlton Square many moons ago, and saw the drawer was slightly open, I cannot tell a lie but I had an inquisitive mind !!! and pulled it to see what would happen , to my (Genuine) suprise I was on the floor of said phone booth covered in 10p and 2p coins, more 10s than 2s IMMSC of course I put them back in the box and replaced it from whence it came !!!!

I went to the pictures an awful lot of times around then too , and got a new Notts scarf and sat in the stands for a few games too. Complete and utter coincidence of course!!!

cheers.gif

• Upvote 1
  • 9 months later...

The first colour TV we ever saw was on the 'new' estate up chilwell....we used so sit part way up an electric pylon and watch it in the nearest house.....looked pretty...till we got closer and discovered it was a 'fish tank'....

Cheers , it's actually in my favourites already but you've jogged my memory to have a browse later.

• 5 years later...
  • 6 months later...

There's a long-shot coincidence! I just posted a new topic about boys toys.  Included is the old metal alloy spud gun - with photo :)

• 1 year later...
On 12/8/2009 at 1:30 PM, katyjay said:

Just going back to the catapult. The alternate word gadder or gaddy comes to mind, does that ring any bells with anyone else?

Here's my "Gadder or Galley" KatyJay.  I've had it since I was a teenager - it is now looking a trifle sad and in need of some new elastic and sling:

31093382426_dfeb759bf5_h.jpg

• Like 3

This is Salisbury Street...pulling it down.

Common sight for us kids late 60's and early 70's..we'd strip vacant houses and flog the gear..didn't stray this far though.

Rich pickings in our and St.Anns areas.

Water tanks, lead flashing etc..

Watts blokes tolerated us...to a point..until the Ruston Buscyrus kicked in.d686541cd21fefc16e9f6354a83c99d80dd4e923

I used  to go scrumping with the kids next door,we would cook the apples in an old tin on a little fire we had made,they tasted bloody awful and we had terrible belly ache.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1