Things we did as Kids

Anyone know where the Beeston Lido was situated ? I've heard of it, but I believe it closed in the late 40's. 

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I used  to go scrumping with the kids next door,we would cook the apples in an old tin on a little fire we had made,they tasted bloody awful and we had terrible belly ache.

Don't think Mam or Dad ever hit me....but the way Mam looked at me sometimes i thought 'ey-up' here it comes,,,Dad used to threaten me, but i knew he'd never do it,,,,Always remember when i was about

Here's my "Gadder or Galley" KatyJay.  I've had it since I was a teenager - it is now looking a trifle sad and in need of some new elastic and sling:      

• 8 months later...
On 12/11/2009 at 11:54 AM, Fynger said:

And how many out there had one of them balsa wood planes with the laggy band wind up propellors that lived past its first landing ??

then we had them solid plastic delta shaped planes that you fired by laggy band....hurt when they hit ya.

Dad & myself made one of these wind up elastic band powered planes, Dad launched it down the garden: it turned round & crashed into the house wall smashing into match wood, cue Mam doing lots of shouting, lol...

Kids used to run up & down the entry at the back of our house on Glapton Road, this annoyed me: I knelt on the wall & wee'd on them as they ran past, I got every single one, oh how I laughed. Irate Mam's with their wet kids turned up telling Mam what I'd done. I received a severe good hiding, oh how I cried...

• Like 1

I think the parents & wet kids were happy seeing & hearing me get my good hiding. If anyone came to the door grassing me up Mam'd make a point of biffing me in front in the of the grass's = they'd see that I'd been punished & were usually satisfied. Word's I dreaded were "I've told your Mam what you did," as I knew what was coming...

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I accidentally re-discovered this old thread while randomly trawling around. Most of the posts were made before I even joined Nottstalgia, and a number of those who posted are no longer around.

It's a bit of nostalgia within Nottstalgia; how it used to be.

I had a van & was going to run my mates & their tent to Peterborough for a fishing trip, one of them asked me to look after his maggots "put them in the fridge overnight" he said.  Next morning Mam came stomping up the stairs in a rage & biffed me wile I was still in bed: She'd opened the fridge door & maggots were everywhere, she wasn't happy bunny. When my mate came round later she biffed him as well, he still tells people about it even now 40'odd years later, lol. She stood for no nonsense from anyone...

• Like 2

Colly, I think your mam would have got on well with my paternal grandma, Kate. Clout first, ask questions later...or maybe no need to ask questions!  Kate often biffed with a saucepan or other kitchen implement, or so I'm told. She threw knives too and for a southpaw was amazingly accurate!

• Like 1

Mam used to put a shilling (5 pence piece) on the mantle piece for the gas or electric meter: One day I nicked the bob & spent it on sweets, Mam said "where's that bob gone?" I said "I've put it in the electric meter" & she was happy with that. Then the flipping electric did run out, I was questioned & my crime came to light. We then sat in the dark with no telly, me with a very sore bum, waiting for Dad to come home from work. Don't do crime kids, especially if you get caught like me...

• Like 2

Don't think Mam or Dad ever hit me....but the way Mam looked at me sometimes i thought 'ey-up' here it comes,,,Dad used to threaten me, but i knew he'd never do it,,,,Always remember when i was about 8 on the Beach in Rhyl on holiday,,,i'd been right cheeky to my Dad,,and he looked really angry,,he said sumat like ''come here you little sod i'm going to knock your head off''  for once i thought he meant it,,,and i started to run over the 'Sand-dunes' with Dad in pursuit wearing his suit collar and Tie.........then after about 5 minutes he fell and rolled down the Dunes and hardly stopped laughing the rest of the day..........my Dad my lovely Dad ,wish i could tell him how much i loved him,,,,

• Like 4

You can, Ben. All you have to do is say it! I suspect he already knows.

Colly, the problem these days is the way some parents speak to their offspring, from being babies. They grow up hearing it and, being great imitators, they give it back and probably get thumped for it, but it's the parents' own fault!

My mum's maxim was that politeness costs nothing and we were never spoken to impolitely by her. Yes, I got the occasional smack but never without a warning. I soon learned not to ignore the warning!

• Like 1

So it was your dad who started that saying! My mam, when given something that was just OK, would say, well I suppose it's better than a smack round the chops with a wet kipper. 

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...