Pulled Out Of Radio Retirement

Having decided to retire myself from radio for numerous reasons, round journeys of 100+ miles, dropping rates of pay, networking meaning less jobs etc, I recently had a call from someone I know who has a radio station in Ripley.

It was "one off" cover for their soul show, which I did, and then last week, did it again.

Due to some internal changes there, I was offered the gig on a regular basis, which I accepted, and started last night.

The show is broadcast Tuesday evening 9 till 12, first hour 80's through to current, Luther Vandross, Atlantic Starr etc,

second hour is all Motown, mainly from the 60's, and the third hour is northern soul.

Now, whilst the fm signal is powerful, its easier to listen online, just Google amber sound fm.

I hope you will give it a listen!

"I were Hawking and Gobbing like an 'owd man" was the expression used 'dahn pit , to describe the function of clearing ones throat!!

Good luck Craig me and the vespa will be listening in next Tuesday...any chance you can play Barbara Lewis Hello Stranger..rather apt

pete c....still riding a vespa

See what I can do Pete, although it is a tad slow.............

Pete, 2 things, first I didnt see the Impresssions track on "the system" what I will endeavour to do in the weeks to come is get my stuff uploaded onto it.

Second, I hope you are coming to Jans birthday party/ Dungeon reunion!

Mick I believe Holland Dozier and Holland sued Curtis Mayfield for ripping off This Old Heart Of Mine for Can't Satisfy...never noticed at the time that they were similar and probably wouldn't have cared if I had..both great records.....Keep thinking of Craig sat in front of a couple of turntables and could play anything he had....forgot it's all on computer now....not quite the same...must be my age!!!!

pete c....still riding a vespa

Never heard about that either, you have to admit though, at the time there were tons of Motown soundalike songs.

Ah, Pete, the good old days, of when you had 15 seconds left on a track, and hadn't cued anything else up! PANIC!!!!!!!

Added: Just read that Motown were suing lots of people at the time for anything that sounded like it was on Motown.

Len Barry's 123 was sued too for sounding like The Supremes Ask Any Girl, just cos the first 3 notes sounded similar. They even got flack on the follow up, Like A Baby, and in the end gave 15% of the writers and publishers share of profits to Motown.

The site where I found that info also mentions the Cant Satisfy/This Old Heart thing.

Even worse scenario Craig. Over 800 people on your dance floor in ES Paradis (San Antoinio , Ibiza) half way through an hour set ,(Filling in for DJ El Diablo , a good mate of mine, who had gone down with something nasty)playing regular tracks I used day in day out so I knew what mixed easiest with what, come to the 'Queue' spot on the track you're near the end of , 'cans' to the ear, spin the disc , then horror comes over you as you realise this isn't the track you intended to play.

What the hell has gone wrong ?? I look up to see Jeremy Healey pi55ing himself , as he had swapped disks on me, I took my life in my hands and went ahead with the track, still not recognising it, and trying my hardest to fit it in, only to feel really sick to actually realise I was trying to mix in AGADOO!!!!! Sod it let it spin and get ready to hide , only to hear a cheer from the crowd and shouts of ,, CHOOOOOON!! and see 800 folks (Probably on something) doing the Agadoo dance !!!! It was at that point that I realised that it wasn't the tune that mattered but the ambiance of the occation.

From that day on , when ever I got bored with the usual bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, etc of 'dance' music,instead of doing a "Back spin" with the deck, I would throw in something daft like, YMCA/ One step beyond, etc , it didn't always work, but I lived to tell the tale !!!

Happy Days