You're right Mick:-

trentbaths.jpg

From Picture the Past, Trent Baths, Victoria Embankment, opened 1857, closed 1941, perhaps it received a bomb hit, apart from that I know nothing, Googling will no doubt tell us more, looking at the vista on the opposite bank, I can't work out exactly where it was, though I suspect that the suspension bridge is close behind the photographer, where did you find the picture.

What would we do without Picture the Past, it's fantastic.

As far as I know Mick it is upstream from the paddling pool, maybe 1/4 up from the suspension bridge as Pete suggested, seem to remember me grand parents telling me about it when I used to fish the river in that area, for the fishermen among you it would be opposite what we called the willows

Rog

My dad told me of such, no mention of bomb damage, think shut as wartime measure and just went derelict, a popular swimming spot (with a beach! well flat sand) was other side of river next to toll bridge, also "Lenton Lido" beeston canal at dunkirk

My grandad used to talk about swimming near the suspension bridge, so could it be somewhere near that?

It seemed strange to me that people would want to swim in something as polluted as the Trent, but I guess it hasnt always been polluted.

I bet it was more polluted then than it is now, when I was a kid, I always remember the overpowering smell and masses of foam blowing about at Beeston wier, but it didn't stop dad and my brother swimming in the river at Barton Ferry nearby.

I bet it was more polluted then than it is now, when I was a kid, I always remember the overpowering smell and masses of foam blowing about at Beeston wier, but it didn't stop dad and my brother swimming in the river at Barton Ferry nearby.

Maybe so... I suppose we always think things are worse now than they were in "the good old days"

• 4 years later...
  • 3 years later...

If I remember correctly at Nottm swimming baths women with long hair had to wear em I remember my sisters having to wear em at Noel Street Baths. When the long haired youths of the '60s arrived the same rule was applied them as well, long hair then wear a cap.

• 2 months later...

Mmmmm, I'll take your word for that Lizzie ! Not convinced personally. Sorry.

12 hours ago, LizzieM said:

I had a swimming cap with fuchsia and bright blue flowers stuck on.  Very fetching!   

Your's was a posher one than mine, Lizzie.  Mine was just plain pink with no flowers on.... but there again I'm older than you.  I reckon I've got a black and white photo of me wearing it somewhere.  I'll go and have a look.

Found this photo when I was 9 or 10 years old.  Also noticed I was wearing my red and grey striped swimming costume which my mum KNITTED!   It  always drooped when it got wet!

IMG_3703.jpg

• Like 5
  • 2 years later...