My Landlady Gave Me An Envelope

The Landlady of my local is from Radford and her family have always had pubs in Nottingham. Their family name is Smith unfortunately.

She gave me an envelope of photos her Aunt had given her. The Aunt had ran three pubs in the centre of town.

Envelope:

760275711_AKhqx-M.jpg

Family Photos, if they had text on the back then I've scanned that too:

760275828_9dNCr-L.jpg
760275973_HKsAg-L.jpg760276099_z7iat-L.jpg
760276250_MSvdz-L.jpg
760276452_WWbyP-L.jpg
760276597_gtWFo-L.jpg760276729_JwqUp-L.jpg
760276847_zzEGQ-L.jpg
760276966_2Dtj8-L.jpg

Unfortunatly the Aunt is dead now and this is all that my Landlady knows about the family running Nottingham boozers.

I have loads of old family pics, both sides of family, on mothers side only from 1919 when they moved to Nottingham from Harrogate when grandad became manager of Murphy's at Old Basford, on dad's side most from around Bulwell and North Notts, no real landmarks on such though mainly portraits from the past

Lets see some of them Ashley, it doesn't matter if they're not of local landmarks.

I've been watching Michael Portillo's Great British Train Journeys all week, or rather, how to deal distastefully with the 'Common' man.

The other night he was at Bridlington, my fathers rich spinster aunts from West Bridgeford ran a guest house there and the Nottingham clan spent their holidays in Brid for many years.

The thing is, I've got to the point where I can't remember what I've published, but anyway, in case you've not seen it before, here's the two old aunts, my dad standing front left, the other kids are his sister and brother.

scan0009-5.jpg

Looks like a typical British summer doesn't it.

All they need is the Violin Case , and Bobs your uncle (Or Clary in this (Violin) case) The Saint Valentines day massacre !!!

(It writes its self this stuff!!!)

3 from mother's side, first is my grandfather, An Irishman and army officer, wounded in France in the first world war he was recovering in hospital in Harrogate where he met and married my grandmother, before moving to Basford. 2nd photo is of my mother, uncle and an unknown (to me) woman took outside the bungalow that stood on alpline st Old Basford, the houses in the pic are still there next to Bar Lane, the 3rd is again my uncle I guess aged 18 in bungalow garden with drop down towards Lincon St seen, same year he was called up and sent on bomb disposal amid the London blitz!mac.jpgden-2.jpgden3.jpg

Wouldn't mind an hour or two digitally restoring that bottom one, there's a fair bit of damage to it and it's heavily discoloured with age. I did a panoramic photo that had loads of damage to it. Had to scan it in two halves, rejoin it in my software and spent hours on it. My printer was a photo printer that cost me a small fortune several years back, but the client was over the moon at how it turned out. It was a present for his Dad.

I'm on about the "straw hat gang"

Hiya, they were great photos :) wow.. I love seeing old ones like that, makes you think what they'd think of the internet? if you could go back in time and show them, lol :)

(I don't suppose your landlady know's a Kenneth J Smith (Ken), by any chance?.. as I'm trying to find him.

he used to live in Radford in the 80's, & 1982 when I was born.

he also used to either own or work at the cafe on bentinck road(which is now a chippyIi think?, near the Bentinck school.. which is on the corner.

(my nana's old school)

I'm going to look in other posts now, to see the great old photos :)

The one hiding behind the hedge, cheeky monkeh!!

To be honest, I haven't a clue who this lot are, why or where, I suspect that the bloke second from left is Uncle Alf, who raised my dad when he was orphaned.

Alf at Bridlington circa 1930, dad on the left and his cousin Noel on the right:

scan0018-3.jpg

Talk about an informal beach pose.

Noel went on to win the DFC flying Lancasters during the war. Unfortunately, I don't recall meeting Alf or Noel, father was excommunicated when he married my mother, they didn't think that a hosiery worker was good enough for him. When the old man died 5 years ago, the crem was packed with all sorts of people, from various ethnic backgrounds too, he was much loved by everyone, as for that branch of the family, no-one bothered to turn up, family politics are a nightmare, but it happens, regardless of what you think or do to prevent it being a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Great Pics Ashley.

This is the Firbeck Clan meeting to discuss ways of removing Ashley's Straw Boater Boys;

scan0016-5.jpg

Only 2 hatless, out of 19!

No wonder Luton went to the wall...

Cheers

Robt P.

Only 2 hatless, out of 19!

No wonder Luton went to the wall...

Cheers

Robt P.

It was probably on their minds when they lost the FA Cup to Forest in 1959, 'Those damn Firbecks!!!!'

Meanwhile, more summer fun at Brid with the family in the 20's, the smiley kid in the stripey tie is my old man, I'm sure they were all wearing Speedo's or risque bikini's under all those heavy coats Fynger:

scan0012-8.jpg

I wonder which interloper is Michael Portillo.

I went to The Wall too, brilliant concert, made me cry!

Sorry, a piece of overblown, Roger Waters, conceited, personal, rubbish, you were all conned by it. The result, Gilmour was bullied and forced to leave, the late,lovely Richard Wright was sacked because he showed sense and refused to be involved with Waters attempts at redesigning the group to suit himself.

I have been a fan of the band since they started, I was lucky enough to go to one of their acid liquid light show extravagances in the 60's and have all their albums bar the Wall, he says with distaste. I tried to get to see their reunion concert in Hyde Park, unsuccesfully, but then it was merely an ego trip for Waters that the others were clearly aware of.

RIP Richard Wright

Two fingers to Waters, who destroyed an amazing band.

OK, I know what you are saying, sorry, lets leave at that then, eh, oh, are you a Pink Floyd fan by the way, Ian, probably not as much as me, if so, you'd understand the passion that Waters altercations caused amongst us keen types, I was a fan from their conception when Syd Barrett ruled, Shine on You Crazy Diamond, nuff said.

Anyway, back to 1920's beach wear, this is Uncle Alf on the right and an unknown relative enjoying themselves at Bridlington in 1924, the suits look itchy enough, an addition of sand must have made them unbearable:

scan0014-5.jpg

Sorry, I don't know why this has gone off to the right, I can't correct it.

I note that on many of these family holiday pictures, the weather does look pretty grim, but what happened when the sun eventually came out and it actually got hot, were they actually allowed to strip off down to the waist, did they actually want to, or was decorum important at all times.

I know that when we were kids that the old man always took us off to the South Coast for our hols claiming that the East Coast was unbearable, 'because of that cold easterly wind', he must have had bad memories from those times. I know we all used to go off to Mablethorpe in the early 50's, well, it was all they could afford, then there was an attempt at Great Yarmouth, but post 1955, it was South Coast and Devon all the time.

!957 at Southsea, you can see one of Palmerstones Follies in the background, the young Firbeck and my dear cousin Linda:

lind30.jpg

How posed is that!!! but at least the clothes are informal.

• 6 years later...

Just remembered about Ashley's post! I'm going over this week to see if he is there! :D

as lots has happened since 2010. I forgot all about your message about Ken Smith.

thanks for that, I'll post on here how I get on lol

• 2 years later...

Imagine my surprise to see my Mum's (Joan Jones nee Bottomore) writing staring out of the page.  The pubs her grandparents ran were the Sir Francis Burdett, Mount Street and long under the Maid Marion way, The Milton's head, Derby Road, which is now a solicitors last time we looked and The Jolly Higglers, which was rebuilt and then turned into a supermarket. Fred Smith and his son Oliver brewed their own ale and then ran pubs for Shipstones, Fred went onto be the Secretary for the Nottingham Licenced Victuallers.

• Like 2