Second-hand Clothes Shops

There used to be some great secondhand shops in Nottingham. The original one I remember was Pennyfeathers, near what was the Peel St end of Trent Poly. A really small shop, it moved to bigger [and less rat-infested, from what I remember] premises later, but I can't remember where. It sold a lot of 20s-style stuff, it was like being in your grandma's dressing-up box!

• Like 1

Welcome Sioux

There was also one just opposite boots victoria centre. Clinton St West.

What about Dapnies Handbag on Mansfield Rd (still there?)

Is that similar?

Pennyfeathers was a brilliant shop....much preferred the smaller shop they had too.....theres also Golden cage at Canning Circus......plus the one further down derby Rd on the opposite side ( shielas ??)

I just use the hand me downs from our kids, well they only wear them once. I haven't bought any clothes for years, honest, fortunatley we all have eclectic tastes, our George has recently given me a lovely Johnny Cash tee shirt, I have to wear that one for best though.

I suppose the 2ndhand shops must be similar to our Op-shops? I love browsing through them,have picked up some beautiful oil and watercolur paintings over the years plus a stack of copper pots for my wife`s new kitchen. Best buy recently was 2yes 2 pairs of handmade R.M. Williams boots ($370 a pair new) these were practically new. How much I hear you ask. $7 a pair I reply!

Wild Clothing? Is that still there?! There was another s/h clothes shop on Hockley in the 80s - all sorts of stuff for sale, but mainly remembered for the fact that it had a stuffed fox in the window, with a light bulb in its mouth. Ugh.

I think it is, same road as the Mushroom bookshop IIRC.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I love browsing the charity shops something i never thought i would do,i find nowadays i very rarely need new clothes (except pants) and love buying bits of clothing cheap, obviously Ties are top of my list, :) in the past few months ive also bought a w)aistcoat,hat,scarf and gloves,but my best buy was on Mapperley top (help the aged i think) a pair of hand made Italian shoes £30.

oh dont forget today is Palm sunday,wear summat new!

My wife visits various charity shops around here and in other towns , wherever we visit . Not often that she doesn't buy something from one of them but on the other hand , we put plenty out for charity in tbe bags that fall through the letterbox.

To me , many charity shops have lost the plot and they are far too expensive . For a few pounds more you can get a brand new item from Primark ( not that we have one here !).

I used to buy CDs from charity shops but now I rarely see anything I want to buy and as for charging 1.99 or sometimes 2.99 forget it .I do buy the odd book or two in charity shops though if the price is right !

I Agree DavidW,YOU NEED TO BE SELECTIVE,but the shoes i bought must have been over £100 when new.We very seldom play our cds now and will be taking them to a charity shop,

where abouts in Cornwall do you live,my wifes family are nearly all in Devon,

benjamin1945 .....we are in the far west in tin-mining country !

thanks mate i will give it a look,

I agree with your comment re charity shops Iused to love browsing but like you say far too expensive now. When folks have been kind enough to donate why charge the earth for an item when at the end of the day its still second hand.

Yes it was some right bitch on the telly who (more for the series and her own good than any charity) tarted the shops up got rid of the volunteer "old biddies" and set managers and staff on, hence prices going up, maybe they are making more money for the charities? but now theres a generation walking round in years old clothes and holey shoes as their supply cut off,lol We'll be getting Paul O Grady pleading from his 200 acre stately home for £2 from us all next