Topical, Very Topical?

When I set this site up I decided to avoid the subjects of Football & politics.

BUT, I saw this this morning, and thought I would share it with you.

beckham.jpg

Well were we robbed, or are we now just a second rate footballing nation?

Are our "Players" footballers any more, or are they just overpaid primma donnas?

Who has more skill Beckham or Stanley Matthews?

Is there a player today that can match the skills of George Best?

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

England Rugby beat Wales in Cardiff, an exciting game played by real men, not overpaid primadonnas. Swing Low Sweet Chariot .....

I am 65 years of age & retired & was on pension credits from the age of 60 (2009) Averaged out I think earned about £300,000 in my entire working life. The most I ever earned in a year was

There some extremely talented players out there, playing football and it stands to reason that the best are going to command high salaries but no matter how much revenue is generated from the game or

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

B) Well Bumping this topic has done no good seems nobodys interested in FOOTBALL and i for one isn't. ;)

B) Now if it was ICE HOCKEY that's a diferant Ball game so to speak B)

Are our "Players" footballers any more, or are they just overpaid primma donnas?  :angry:
YES :angry:

:rolleyes: There's a saying in the ICE HOCKEY fraternity and it goes like this, Boys Play Football, Men Play Rugby and Animals play Ice Hockey. :ph34r: Panthers Rule OK.

post-25-1101832507_thumb.png

• 3 years later...

mmmmmmmmmmmm Me wonders if something isn't going to be anounced forthwith

It would be nice to see him back in the English, game if only to see if he is still worthy of a place in the England squad!!!

Over here and over paid.

Personally I don't give a dam..............if it ain't hockey it ain't worth the trouble.

Bip.

When I set this site up I decided to avoid the subjects of Football & politics.

BUT, I saw this this morning, and thought I would share it with you.

beckham.jpg

Well were we robbed, or are we now just a second rate footballing nation?

Are our "Players" footballers any more, or are they just overpaid primma donnas?

Who has more skill Beckham or Stanley Matthews?

Is there a player today that can match the skills of George Best?

They're overpaid primadonnas, (but there are still some good players around.)

Not old enough to have seen anything but grainy footage of Matthews but by repute from those that did he'd win by a mile, (Tom Finney even better).

Not a single player that can match Georgie in my humble opinion. Some players do incredible things occasionally, he did them as a matter of course.

Generally speaking I struggle with football nowadays though I do keep up to date with my own team. We all have our own era and that's fair enough but for me football in the seventies was a lot more fun with some tremendous characters. Every team had them.

Having said all that, give me hockey every time.

Not old enough to have seen anything but grainy footage of Matthews but by repute from those that did he'd win by a mile, (Tom Finney even better).

Not a single player that can match Georgie in my humble opinion...

Saw them both in their latter years...

50 year old Matthews came to Forest with Stoke...but still gave accomplished full-back Joe McDonald a torrid time. An abiding memory was of Forest's Jack Burkitt running the pitch length, prior to kick off, to shake the Great Man by the hand.

Saw Finney play once, against Forest at Preston in his final season...very much at the 'diving in the box' stage by then, but occasional glimpses of brilliance...Shankly always said he was the No 1.

Saw George turn it on just once at the City Ground...John Winfield taken off with twisted blood...on several other appearances George seemed quite disinterested...

Apparently folks regularly reminded John of his traumatic afternoon, whilst he served at his Vic Centre newsagent stall!

Cheers

Robt P.

• Upvote 1

I saw George Best , Bobby Moore and Rodney Marsh in the same Fulham side that got stuffed 5-1 by the mighty Nott's County in about 75

• Upvote 1

Another one here who was at that Notts-Fulham game. The abiding memory for me was when Rodney Marsh took a kick off to George. As the ball rolled in front of him a Notts rushed in to tackle him. Best just merely dropped his shoulder and sent the Notts lad the wrong way without even touching the ball!

Re. Hockey players 'over here and overpaid'. That's if they can actually get their clubs to pay them on time/at all.

• 1 year later...

Ice Hockey...team figure skating with more staged fighting then the WWE.......

I went to a Gordon Banks benefit match at Stoke - must have been around 1974 or '75. By then, Gordon was not at his best (after a bad car accident) but there were several other big names playing - including Pele who was absolutely amazing - no matter where he was on the field - if he saw a chance to score he would go for it!

I believe a number of the old World Cup side were playing - Bobby Moore I think, may a couple of others. I forget who the opposing team was, and it really wasn't a great match - but it was a great evening!

• 1 year later...

This type of discussion about different generations' sporting heroes can roll and roll. So should it be. My personal opinion is that I cannot begin to imagine anyone playing the great game better than Georgie. It just doesn't get any better than him. It's obviously an open argument (and so should it always be) but for me there was nobody even remotely close.

• 4 years later...

Re 16. Johann Cruyff IMHO.

I think it is obscene what footballers earn. I appreciate it is a case of supply and demand but their salaries and transfer fees are absolutely ridiculous . But if supporters are prepared to pay the gate prices then these sort of salaries will be paid.

• Upvote 1

I agree that they earn exorbitant salaries but they are the best in the World and people will pay exorbitant prices to see them. Why is it only footballers that get mentioned?. Racing car drivers, basketball players, film and rock stars etc get paid millions of pounds but that seems to be ok.

Michael,

I agree but this thread seems to be about footballers. I have already said it is about supply and demand and I also agree these silly wages apply to all that you have mentioned.

Going back to footballers, how can a footballer no matter how good he is justify a salary of £300,000 a week, how many hours does he work for that? And not to mention all the spin offs and sponsorships that they enjoy.

I used to go to football matches down the city ground and meadow lane but I'm sorry it just rattles me.

Correct me if I'm wrong wasn't there something in the press about a player and £11m for 28 minutes of football, now he must be good.

A game between Chelsea and Arsenal, for instance, would bring in billions of pounds from around the World for TV, advertising, merchandise, wages for all the people involved in these activities etc. Nobody would spend this kind of money to watch Joe Bloggs playing in Div 2. That's why the top players earn millions and the lesser players earn thousands.

There some extremely talented players out there, playing football and it stands to reason that the best are going to command high salaries but no matter how much revenue is generated from the game or any sport, in my opinion, no body on this earth is worth £300,000 plus a week plus all the other perks on offer

If a person was on £500 per week or £25,000 per annum say for a 37 hour shift and

A footballer on £300,000 per week or £15.6m per annum for say for 4hours work.

It would take the person on £25K over 620 years to match the gross salary of the footballer. (I have not allowed for inflation, etc.)

Like I said previously, it's obscene

I think we will have to agree to disagree on this thread.

• Upvote 2