Tommy Lawton footage

Saw him play just the once...from behind my Farley's Rusk!

Have never,ever, heard anyone try to nominate a better header of a football...they'd be wasting their breath.

Many classic pictures still exist of him soaring above defenders to head the ball home.

My favourite Lawton tale involves him scoring a thundering last minute match-winning header for England at Hampden, which prompted Scottish defender Bill Shankly to say "If I'd have got a gun, I'd have shot him..."

Cheer

Robt P.

• Upvote 1

Love to say I saw him /met him , but alas it was never to be. But what a crowd he used to pull !!!!

Didn't Lawton play a game when manager? if not I must have seen him in last days of being with Notts as a player? whatever, at time as a young lad didn't think much of him, expected too much after my dad had ranted on about him! can't remember anything about him in that one game. Do know more than once had sunday dinnertime kickabout in back of Magna Cartna with him though, Best headed goal I ever saw was was scored by Justin Fashanu, not joking his head must have been 9ft off the ground when he met the ball, have seen evening post still photos of such and he towered over everyone, maybe he had some zulu in him? they were good at bouncing up off the spot, Think match was against Arsenal who funnily enough saw dumped this afternoon, anyone tell me what Sol is short for? slow? static? stationary? at fault for 2 goals, looks overwieght and uninterested, (or just plain past it)

Best headers of a ball, in my time:

1) Tommy Lawton

v

v ...big gap...

v

2) Nat Lofthouse (Bolton)

3) Sandor Koscis...aka 'The Golden Head' - (Hungary)

4) Ron Davies (Southampton)

4=) Tony Hateley (Notts)

6) Denis Law (Man U)

7) John Charles (Leeds)

8) Tommy Wilson (Forest)

9) Jose Torres (Portugal)

10) Wyn Davies (Newcastle)

Cheers

Robt (can't sleep) P. !bored!

• Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi. My attending at Meadow lane was in the immediate post-war era. I thought it was 1947 when Tommy Lawton was transferred to Notts. I thought the transfer fee was £17,000 plus Paddy Ratcliffe transferred to Chelsea? Great scenes of Tommy and Jackie Sewell scoring a hatfull of goals between them.

• 3 years later...

.........'Tommy Lawton and his wife, Gay, became the licensees of the Magna Charta in Southwell Road, Lowdham in October 1958 until 1962. Aferwhich, he became an insurange agent. A failed venture that should have resulted in the Tommy Lawton Sports Good brand failed to last, instead, Lawton worked for Vernon's Pools in the Nottingham area until he returned to football. After he hit the hardest of the times, he was offered the job as director of his own company, Tommy Lawton Furniture Ltd, and after fruitful beginnings, again ended up in liquidation.....' excerpt from Tom Lawton's biography

As Trevor said , Tommy was definitely at the Magna at Lowdham . I remember my dad fetching him out from the pub so that I could meet him (kids not allowed in in those days ! ) . I must have been about 10 years old so quite a thrill .

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Bit of a sad story in the Daily Mail but relevant to Notts history .

Letters written by Tommy Lawton in 1970 , when down on his luck , he was asking Dickie Attenborough for a £250 loan. His address then was 55 Patterdale Road Woodthorpe . This must have been after his time at the Magna .

http://dailym.ai/1P2uJbW

• Upvote 2

Interesting yet incredibly sad to witness Tommy's decline during those years. He was renowned for holding court and buying people drinks at his pub in the Magna Carta in Lowdham.

The Patterdale Road address is off Somersby Road in Woodthorpe, a couple of roads on the right going up the hill if I recall. The Evening Post offered him a lifeline as a columnist when he lived there so there was a slightly more positive ending to his story. I recall Tommy's account of his lowest moment, actually spending a night in a cell due to financial misdemeanours if I remember rightly.

A relative told me that he was the greatest centre forward you could imagine and certainly the best header of a ball as our dearly departed Rob mentioned above in the thread stated.

A good time to remember our friend. Rob - sadly missed.

• Upvote 1