SMITH family of the Sir Francis Burdett

The Landlady of my local is from Radford and her family have always had pubs in Nottingham. Their family name is Smith unfortunately.

I am researching the SMITH family of the Sir Francis Burdett and would welcome anyone's help in establishing if MRS SMITH ever lived at 14 CUMBERLAND PL in 1914 to 1916. The other names connected are SANDS and TAYLOR.

To add further info on post, I have a SMITH family who are licensees of the Sir Francis Burdett from shortly after 1904. In 1908 the husband WILLIAM SMITH dies leaving the widow ANNIE (nee Taylor)and married daughter HETTY SANDS along with Hetty's husband GEORGE SANDS to run the pub. The last trade directory entry is 1914 Wrights showing ANNIE at the pub.

This SMITH family I can trace back through the census to both parties birth and into the 1841 for WILLIAM.

The next edition of the trade directory is Wrights 1915/16 and shows a MRS ANNIE SMITH living at 14 Cumberland Place which is just around the corner from the pub.

Is she the same lady? Does anyone recognise this family?

Sorry I can't help you, however you (and others) can perhaps help me (and others) Have seen the adverts for these "trace your ancestors" and "who do you think you are" etc but still very confusing? and from what I gather not cheap? Apart from the obvious "ask your granny" type of research just how does one go about trying to research once you've gone back as far as grandparents, and like in my case "no one else alive"! Can anyone recommend a site/service where you don't have to commit to a years subscription etc before finding out theres nothing to find out! and if you did does that only allow a limited search? ie of one person's ancestors, not wife's etc.

Yesterday I did go on to ancestry.co.uk for the first time after seeing an ad on the telly.

without being a member I found myself, my father and family in the US.

Not sure what further info membership gives, (there is a free trial at the moment)

With a name like smith, you can narrow the results with other factors such as spouse name if known.

Hi, I've had success with the Mormon site...type in mormon or LDS on google. It's totally free. Ancestry does give 2 weeks free but you have to give them your credit card details....cancel the subscription before its due and your card's not debited. You can do a mighty lot of research in 2 weeks...my eyes fair bugged out of my headwith the late nights!! Ancestry gives the basic details for free, ie the indexes. Another free one is the www.freeBMD site and thats where I began.Good value.

When you subscribe to a website for genealogy you get access to every data base included in that particular subscription.

My personal recommendation is to tackle only one branch of the family and do it to the max! Then move on...don't flit around finding every relative, you get side tracked and waste time.

Best wishes and I hope you enjoy your research!

It may not be obvious, but the "Ancestry.com" websites are also LDS (Mormon) - so don't be surprised if you get clean-looking young men in suits knocking on your door! On the other hand, they do have one of the largest genealogical databases in the world and I know it is popular with the ancestry types to look into their archives.

Ashley - the LDS records are often only accurate if somebody entered the data for you! The reason for the database is that they believe you can (will) become a member of the LDS after you die - but ONLY if they know about you - and that you can be enrolled posthumously! So, lots of LDS members went around collecting names of both the living and dead to enter into the database to swell the LDS ranks in wherever they go after death! My guess is, somewhere in your ancestry, somebody signed up for the LDS! However, they aren't picky, so it could just have been somebody that knew your grandma and great grandparents.

Fortunately (?) the LDS do not believe there is a hell for LDS members - just various levels of heaven!

P.S. - A few years ago there was a big stink about this - and if they were allowed to do it. Some other religious group objected to being "abducted" into the LDS posthumously against their will - I believe it ended up in the state supreme court. I think the outcome was that, if you didn't believe in Mormonism, then how could it hurt, and they were allowed to continue to practice!

Bullshine...Eric was merely conveying some relevant LDS background to her...

Don't come on here, after 24 hours membership, telling our senior members what not to post!

BTW: Also, refrain from shouting your sought names...bad netiquette.

Cheers

Robt P.

• Upvote 1

Cyalm Down Cyalm Down!

If the only discussion was about the original post, it would drop down the list.

Small deviations from the original subject but regular posts keeps it in view.

Thank you Administrator. Much appreciated.

If my typing research names in capitals offends this site's reader then I can only wish you would view other sites where it shows as accepted practice. As for being new ..yes ...but I don't recall telling anyone what to post- a senior moment perhaps???

However I remain committed to finding my ancestors and would kindly ask for help from the more generous participants in this forum.

Have a good day, J xx

Thanks Smithylass,I have those subs too, but I have a couple of mysteries about the Smiths of the Sir Francis Burdett.

1. The Smiths that occupied it from about 1904 to 1914 (my Smiths)- I have all their info back to the 1841 census but nothing after they (only the wife Annie, as the husband William died in 1908)sold the pub. I was rather hoping she was the lady who appeared in the Wrights Trade directory in 1914/15 at 14 Cumberland Pl- just around the corner from the pub.

2. The photo of Grandma Smith on this site...is she my Smith or the other Smith that bought the pub shortly after- about 1916? So is she the wife of my William or the other man Frederick?

Oh isn't tracing Smiths fun!

• 4 years later...
  • 4 years later...