The former site of the Black Boy Hotel and the birthplace of author Alan Sillitoe are the first places to be honoured under a new campaign to celebrate the city's heritage.

Nottingham Civic Society is leading a drive to put up more plaques to honour famous people, places and events.

NEP

Any Nottstalgia nominations for further plaques?

Tug Wilson springs to mind.

Torville and Dean, Leslie Crowther....LOL, Sue Pollard.........PMSL

I wonder how many buildings survive to put plaques on them.

I believe that Watson Fothergill already has a plaque on his former offices on George Street, I would have thought it would be embarrasing for the council to stick one on the concrete monstrosity they allowed to be built on the site of the Black Boy.

How about one for Neville King and Old Boy on the wall of the Pelican.

How about one for Neville King and Old Boy on the wall of the Pelican?????

The last time I was over in the Bilborough area the Pilican pub on Bracebridge drive was shut due to having a car parked in the bar area, it was conveniantly place just four feet from the ladies toilets and six feet from the pool table, it had been driven there through the main doors by a disgruntled customer who I believe was served with a warm cloudy pint and a unsealed bag of Salt/Vinagar., is it now open? and if so have they installed a ramp so my friend Nigel and I can wheel ourselves into said pub without having to ask the good people who stand outside smoking to help, and would you know if they have a disabled toilet too now?

Speed Demon

My only visit to the Pelican was about 40 years ago, following a school play, we went in for a swift half when the lovely clientelle made it clear that they fancied gang raping my girlfriend, they really meant business and prevented us from leaving, we didn't know what to do, it was very very scary, fortunately my pals from the BGS rugby team arrived just in time and threatened to tear the place and the scum in there apart, the bullies retreated to the bottom of their pints of mild, they were scared s###less, we all left and never went back.

Neville King used to drink in there and apparently based his drunken dummy on my mates grandad, though in reality, it could have been anybody including the landlord.

Horrible, evil place, pity the car didn't burst into flames and destroy the pub and everyone in it.

• 5 months later...
  • 7 years later...
On 05/07/2010 at 10:20 PM, G.I.Rocheque said:

I believe that there is a blue plaque on a building on Beardall Street, Hucknall to celebrate the composer Eric Coates who was born there.

Digging up the past again:

As I remember it, the plaque is on the house at the corner of Duke Street and Beardall Street. I think that technically the address is Duke Street but that's not relevant to the subject of this thread.

A possibly interesting point is that the same house was used for the practice of Dr OLJ Wallen, one of the early West Indian (black) doctors to qualify and work in England. He told me once that he was in several films that starred Paul Robeson (singer and early black activist) as an understudy and double.

• 4 weeks later...

I am a member of St Ann's pre-demolition we also nominate people or places for the Blue Plaque award.

I was on St Ann's site a while ago and one lady had written a poem about Nottingham her name is Jean Taylor I have changed a few lines in the poem but credit goes to Jean.

Nottingham my City

"No more" Flying Horse or Famers the drapers on South Parade or the Black Boy facing Burton's Arcade,

If we turn the clock back I'm sure these buildings could have been saved

"The Flying Horse" Farmers the Drapers" and the "Black Boy" facing "Burtons Arcade"

"Person's" "Tobys"  " Dury Hill "to name but a few,

There were mistakes planners knew, I'm sure they regret what they had to do,

They pulled down buildings and modernised so we could move on 

but we all remember the buildings that's gone

The Market Square with the central loo's 

Oh! how we tried to save the Pink and the Blues,

With our old photos we will remember buildings standing so bold  pulled down, demolished, 

YES   !!!!!!  sadly long gone,

Banks, Pubs, and people shopping, me  sitting on a bench people watching,

Just a few memories of Queen of the Midlands  our beautiful city

I could  go on and on about those lovely buildings that are lost and gone

But buildings were never made to last,

So time to move on and away from the past

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Great Mary, but many of the buildings WERE made to last ! Especially the Black Boy. What a comedown, first Littlewoods, and now Primark. Unbelievable !

When we lived on Garnet St, off Gordon Rd in the 50's, my mum regularly used the Bath St wash house. It was most useful in those days. However, I still have nightmares after seeing my favourite bottle green hand knitted jumper coming out of the rollers in shreds. 

I always reckon my mum did it purposely as she detested anything green. I wished that it had been my boring beige one !

11 hours ago, mary1947 said:

I am a member of St Ann's pre-demolition we also nominate people or places for the Blue Plaque award.

I was on St Ann's site a while ago and one lady had written a poem about Nottingham her name is Jean Taylor

Jean Taylor is a friend of mine .......she writes beautifully about her home town