lots of different marriott families in netherfield carlton gedling a lot of them ar related some were along the line . there were three families of girls named marriott at carlton girls school two lotts were deffinitele cousins the other one nobody including them was ever sure.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looking to contact anyone who went to frank wheldon between 71 and 77

Hiya Wendy , I was there for those years too. Did you have Mrs Matthews for Chemistry too by any chance ?? the reason for asking is I was talking to an old mate of mine on Face book the other day and

I don,t if you where there when this boy got drunk during break and he came back to school after lunch and fell off the coal wall he was from the u.a I know that he used to know a girl called rose osb

Your right, Stephen etches, that was the guy, his dad use to always stand at the gate smokin.

And as regards the marriots, they were three different families at Frank Wheldon, two of them lived over on valley Road, just up from the Carlton hotel but neither were related

My brother use to hang around with Jimmy on Cavendish road, and Fred, which I found strange at the time, because if I remember, wasn't Fred an Hells Angel as they were called then? And my

Brother had a lambretta?

They use to always go to the disco at the forum on a Saturday night, and always end up fighting (not with each other of course haha)

Can you remember Mr Cauthorne who owned the newsagents near you, and the crofts who ran the post office next door, they had two daughters, Alice and Susan I think they were called

I have so many memories of carlton girls school, as I said before, my dad was the caretaker to we lived in the school house,

That house was so big inside. And I think the prefects used one of our rooms for some reason? Like a common room or something?

Opposite Belper avenue, they use to be a little footpath that led to the back of the golf course and on to foxhill , before the golf course was their, they were orchards and fields, have you any idea what we use to call that area? Because it's doing my nut in, haha.

I'm sure we had a Johnny Marriot at Gedling school from 60-65 . Quite a "sturdy" lad . Was he part of the same clan .

Yes that name rings a bell there was a also a George(?) Wilson had a brother Sidney who was a signalman on the railway(Colwick East Junction)

Yes that name rings a bell there was a also a George(?) Wilson had a brother Sidney who was a signalman on the railway(Colwick East Junction)

Don't know anything about those Wilsons .

Getting back to Johnny Marriott , it's just come back to me that his nickname was "Yane"

He got that because if you asked him for one of his sweets or a chip , he would reply " Yane avin any " !! :laugh:

the area you talking about down the twitchel was russia either because of all the russing waters whhen it had been raining or it looked like siberia when covered in snow.

fred never hells angle just a biker like all the kids fred was the youngest and would have been 60 now but died at just 53 i went to his funeral. although they did sometimes have hells angels visit them including friar and mac friar had a sidecar with a coffin on perhaps this is why you thoughtfred was hels angel, a lot of people still think all bikers are hells angels

yes remember the cawthawns janet was the daughter and they also had a son david but i carnt remember the girl from the post office although i do remember the family.

Sorry to hear that about Fred, that's no age

I think your right about him not being an hells angel,

I can remember, my dad also did the security at the Saturday night Disco, and with him only being 4ft.6 if they was any trouble, Fred was always their to sort it out. Bless him

my dad was only 4ft 8 mum 4ft 10 and the tallest in our house was my younger brother who was the same age as fred. who was 5ft 4 ins all the denoons well over 5ft 6 fred and charlie being over 6ft all our mates used to joke it was like visiting gullivers travells.

yes i remember ian but did not know him well the orchard belonged to the hattons who had the small holding down nursery drive backed on to russia once made the mistake of going in there with billy hatton to get apples and plums for my mum never made that mistake again he was a real pervo always made sure my brother went after that.

sure leslie will remember ian beter than me thier charlie was the same ageas me so a lot of the growd he weht around with went to cavendish cowsheds as we called it.leon a mixed race lad, nobby green who married carol bird and so many more. sid wilson yes david is right his sister was sue little blonde haired girl . as i said i went to carlton girls school but knew a lot of that crowd because they hung round at charlies house all the timedo you remember the crosses egg farm they had a son david and a daughter anne back of the old co op shop just before school gates. and the houses on the opposit corner were cavo and coningsworth met used to be a girl lived in one of them carnt remember her name but came out into the garden with a dummy and sucking babies bottle even when she went to frank weldon school.as you say talking to others from that area sparks a lot of memories.

My dad was 4, ft,6.

I can remember Fred being so tall.

We got chased out the orchard by some bloke who now I assume was the perv your on about, glad I was a fast runner, ha

Did you know anybody up the top end of Cavendish road, or on Coningsworth?

yes a few certain families who stuck out the birds the gees shepards our old polish nieghbour lived in the first house past the entraceto the fourum 60s 70s possibly early 80s. days who lived just of coningworth knew lots of others by first names but not remember second names

yes remember the cawthawns janet was the daughter and they also had a son david but i carnt remember the girl from the post office although i do remember the family.

There was a " Cawthawn" family on Welbeck Avenue (Number 15 I think) when I lived there (1953-1967)

dont know where the cawthorns lived befor they took over the news agents i did a paper round there 64 to 66 eric and his wife had the shop then

I think he's name was Carol cross your lived at the farm,

The72 and 26 buses use to stop at the bottom of this drive,

I can remember Leon,

They was Trev Bellshaw who lived 2 doors up from the co op,

Darren and Linda stanley a little further up..

Me opposite in the schol house

Ian Gee opposite the Forum.

Brian, Belinda, and shaun shore

Steve Middleton.brothers, mick, colin,

Dave and sharon atkinson

Jimmy and catherine lowe

Wendy fisher

All the shepherds

The list ir endless ha ha

Funny how things suddenly come back to you.

your right it could be carol and i think dave did go in the army remember all the middleton lads and the fishers, knew ian gee but knew his sister cynthia better she went to cartonle willows gramar schoo and was good friends with linda hill who lived nextdoor but one to us when leslies and i got into going about with the biker lad her mum and dad stopped her palling about with us, funny thing was she got pregnant at 16 and he was biker from netherfiels bob shelton quick quiet wedding they were together till bob died she still lives dunston st i bump into her sometimes she runs the cubs and scouts just like bob and his parents did for many years linda was telling me when she has to retire this year shell be the last of the shelltons at netherfield scouts and cubs as her sons not interested.

Cynthea lives in Netherfield!!!

Youll have to say hi for me when you see her

Dont tell her i use to have a right crush on her though, ha ha

She had a younger sister named samantha.

I can remember her dad, Donald, he had a push bike which was his pride and joy, it even had indicators on it, we use to really take the

Mick out of him, ha, i think he use to work on the Buses?