Losing weight is as Margie says simple physics. When calories going in are less than the calories going out you will lose weight, simples!  Some foods are have more calories so you have to eat less, some have fewer so you can eat more but the basic formula  holds true.

There are some medical conditions of course that produce weight gain but they are quite rare. Some. I'm one. suffer from chronic can'tbebothereditis and so weight gains are to be expected.

• Upvote 1

I still say that it's the calories in alcohol, which you don't realise you're consuming, are one of the biggest culprits for obesity. Many a time I see fat bastard walking out of Netherfield's Morrisons with a crate of lager on their shoulder.

Oh blimey, I've been out for two steaks since Saturday, and just back from a curry. Only one pint of lager though and no dessert !  

• Like 1

I’ve got to manage with a takeaway curry from Southwell Co.Op tonight washed down with a very dry cider. My wife’s out at one of her innumerable committee meetings so it’s diy. Having achieved the reputation of a miserable old git I’m not invited to sit on committees anymore which is just how I like it! I’m finished with community service. :biggrin:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

I still say that it's the calories in alcohol,

Of course there are calories in booze but if you shed more than you consume you will lose weight. The source of the calories makes no difference. My waistline looks like I'm smuggling cushions and still gaining but I don't drink...

She should be here to cook it for me! I think I left it too long in the microwave. This curry is hot both ways so I’ve got time to type whilst it cools down. This is the second time I’ve been alone today. She’s been at the local witches’ coven all afternoon. I think I’m going to advertise for a carer!

They sit in the village hall, of which she is treasurer of course, and knit, crochet, play rummikins and scrabble. They also pour over the entrails. Since the village shop closed it’s my only source of scandal and rumour. Not that I’m interested of course. When I first came here in 1962 it was like Peyton Place with an active wife swapping circle. I couldn’t join as I nothing to swap!

8 minutes ago, Oztalgian said:

What is rummikins? I have never heard of it. I googled it and nothing much came up to explain it other than a game with tiles.

Rummikins sounds like the name of a character in a Beatrix Potter book.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...