Derby - a dump ?

• 11 years later...

I have never thought Derby was anything else but a dump, going back as far back as I have memories of the place. I try and keep away from it.

• Upvote 1

I've always disliked Derby as a city.

Especially the central area.

The horrible Eagle Centre, now joined by the equally out-of-place Westfield Centre (or 'Intu' ?)

Designed in a period where large shopping centres were thought to be the future for city centres.

Stupid buildings like The Quad, which look great in an architect's portfolio but look like they belong in Legoland rather than in a Market Place.

At least in Nottingham they've retained a lot of the nice buildings (despite the EU-funded vandalism in places like Slab Square) and as a city, it looks cared for.

Derby looks ill thought out and built at the behest of property developers trying to muscle in on old badly-maintained Victorian areas.

A perfect example of bad design would be the central bus station. Basically an office block with a bus station at the bottom where buses have to reverse out and join the one-way system in a convoluted spiral.

I often catch the train to Derby and try to get the hell out of the place as soon as I can.

There used to be nice areas in Derby, up by Friargate for example, but a lot of it seems empty and badly utilised.

• Upvote 1

As a long time resident of Derby, I can categorically say it's not one of the biggest dumps in the country.

It is THE biggest dump in the country!

The city centre abounds in drunks, drug addicts, beggars, vagrants and nut cases. Also boarded up shops, Assembly Rooms which have been closed over three years now,following a fire. River Gardens which are a muggers paradise, a bus station which is hell on earth, two indoor markets with more empty stalls than occupied ones, a city council which is not fit for purpose, a shopping centre which has totally killed the rest of the town, homeless people occupying every shop doorway in the evening and a general feeling of unease for decent folk who are out after 7pm.

barclaycon, you are absolutely correct in your description of Derby, a few years ago, someone coined the phrase 'Northern towns not worth reviving' If ever there was a northern town not worth reviving, then truly this is it!

Oh, why do I stay? It's cheap - in every possible respect!

• Upvote 3

Haha! We go for loo rolls and walk out with a £200 bill. Brilliant meat and books are a great price. We went into a Costco warehouse in Miami and were astounded to see they were selling coffins!

• Upvote 2

#14. WHAT!!! You buy £200 pounds worth of toilet rolls. Stay away from the curries!

• Upvote 1

An early memory of Derby- my Mums friend slipped in the bath and injured her head severely, so we went to visit.

Near the Hospital/bus station was an old cinema- the foyer was a cafe (?) the worst bacon sarnie ever!...circa '71.

I worked from Derby, 1995-2011, covering the south Derbyshire area. Never loved the place, having lived in Nottingham most of my life.

It did improve somewhat over the years I worked there. If you want to see a dump today go to Stoke on Trent.

Incidentally in 2011 I attended many business courses at Derby's Pride park stadium. An impressive place indeed.

I cant comment on Forest, if they have similar facilities, but I doubt it. DC's statue of Cloughie (and Taylor) is better than ours IMO.

Hippo, if you want to see a real Costco you need to go to the US. There anyone can shop. The prices are far cheaper and everything

is pile higher.

• Upvote 1

LizzieM #14, hippo girl #13

Enticed in by cheap trade sized packages branded loo rolls, tissues, toiletries, batteries so should be easy to escape with a £20 - 40 experience, it's not happened to me yet. Back home Freezer groaning with meat and fish purchases, unplanned purchases include leather office chair, garden table and chairs.

Grab a bite and a drink and could save a fortune.

But only if I could just stick to essentials!

• Upvote 1
  • 11 months later...

Derby must be twinned with Tattershall Lincolnshire,they call that the Tattershall leisure center

Rog