Went past the Jockey on David Lane a few days ago and they still have their Christmas decorations up outside. The Ram at Moor Green has a set of Christmas lights still up and a house in Colwick leaves his large set of outside Christmas decorations up all year and just lights em uo at Christmas.

Where else have you seen them still up.

My next door neighbour leaves those illuminated icicles hanging from the guttering all year but only switches them on at Christmas, looks like a load of snot hanging from the gutter to me

Rog

I've just returned from a house hunting/ buying tour around Cornwall again, , 6 houses to look at , 2 taken off the list immediately , 'cause as we turned into the road each time there was a house with it's Christmas lights still up !!

• 10 years later...

I'm personally not putting any up. My wife puts a wreath on the front door and puts a tree in both the lounge and dining room. I've chainsawed the outdoor fir tree so no lights there this year. As we are maintaining isolation over Christmas I can see no point  in the whole stupid business!

I can't see the point this year, I can't get into the excitement or hassle this year. The only christmassy thing we've done are the 20 odd gingerbread houses. I was just reckoning up how much stuff we've used so far. Icing sugar 6 kg, egg whites 5 dozen, butter 4 kg,

flour 11 kg, sugar 12 kg and golden syrup which I couldn't get I made myself about 7 kg. Plus all the decorations. Don't think I'll be eating many sweet things over Christmas as I've had enough breathing it all in. Making up the royal icing I was always left with yolks, 3 or 6 at a time. I've used most of them making  cakes. The other night I decided to make some zabaglione. I have a kenwood cooking chef and I've only used it once to cook something so I decided to make zabaglione, it was nearly overflowing the bowl. After sharing it out there was still loads left , I threw the rest away. It was nice though but too rich. Today after making some more royal icing I had 6 yolks left so I made an omelette adding some milk,  Parmesan and cream along with 2 chopped courgettes. Waste not want not. Anyone has any other ideas for using egg yolks.

No don't think so Phil. Think I might make a yellow cake, I did see a recipe for a Kentucky cake which I think had many eggs. Appropriate because I have an American penfriend from Kentucky ( from 1955)

Good job we don't all have the same tastes for Christmas Day. I love the original KFC but don't want it for Christmas. What is everyone eating on Christmas Day? Our restaurants ( here) are open on the day but only with tables of 4 people. New yrs eve is to be celebrated at lunchtime. Restaurants will be open until 18.00.

Christmas Day got to be Christmas Dinner not bothered if it's burnt, boiled or uncooked or egg & chips, as long as all my family & love ones round the table, that's all that matters.   

My Dad used to say "You can have everything & still have fuck all" he had a way with words :crazy:

• Upvote 1

Not crimbo  lights but Crib characters made from dried corn leaves.

IMG-0395.jpgThis is my niece. All the characters were made by her from ears of corn. I have 17 photographs of them including close ups. They are fascinating.

• Like 5

Lizzie I don't think so. She is very inventive, one year she made me some angels out of dried orchid flowers. Give her some paper and string and she'll  come up with some fantastic object. She make things out of newspaper that would be the envy of people who make gift parcel tags.

• 11 months later...