So, who DID have a house with an outside toilet.

Many old terraced houses had a small rear extension with (first) a coal house then a toilet.

I rember those on Bunbury Street the meadows having all the house toilets/coal houses in a row at the bottom of the yards.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And just to add to everyone's tales of outside toilets !!  We lived in a regular terrace house from mid 1960's that had at one time like all others have an outside toilet just at the end of the kitche

What a lovely name "Cesspit Sid" just love it (bet he used to come over just to take the pi$$)   Rog

You are the poshest person I know @LizzieM we didn't have any kind of toilet until I was 14 when I had my first tom tit 

Thats possibly it mick! Although all i know now is its full of stuff id love to chuck in the loft, if i didnt have just a 1ftx1ft loft hatch! :S

In Hodgkinson st. the house we lived in had a front room. stairs up the middle and another room in back. Beyond that was a small room that had a sink, stove etc. Further back than that was a very small room that was intended to be a pantry as far as I know. Ouside the back door was a coal house. You walked down the yard and in our case turned right onto a communal walkway. The boggs were alongside this walkway. Semi's they were, two attached together so you could chat to the neighbor while you froze your butt.

At the back upstairs was a regular size bedroom and coming right off it a very small bedroom at the extreme back. I would guess they have now been turned into bathrooms.

Wow, my house has the EXACT same layout of that as #15 hodgkinson... Dont suppose you have any old pics of the house? Would love to of seen what these houses were like back then before they were all changed around

I sure wish I had some photo's, Pixie. I was just a kid when I lived there and although I got my first camera, a Kodak Brownie, while living there I could barely afford the film and processing. I will have look through my old family photo's folder again just in case I have forgotten something, but I doubt it.

I think all the houses on H' St. probably followed the same or very similar layouts.

I remember the rent was 8 shillings a week in those days. Do they still rent or are they all owner occupied now?

As far as i know, the houses on that street are mostly council with a handfull either owned or privately rented, was talking to a builder about H'street when he came to do my loft instilation the other day. i know a couple of people who used to live down there.. I was told 9, 11 & 15 are the only houses with 2 livingrooms/living room and dinning room.. the rest are a living room followed by a kitchen. The houses on the oposite side of the road are very different layouts.. Walk through the door to face a set of stairs, turn right or left into the living room.. then the kitchen would be through a door at the end of that room.. & a small landing with the bedrooms. I used to live on H'street too.. i was only around 1 or 2 years old so i dont remember it very well, i remember being scared of something i kept seeing & my mums told me it wasnt a nice house to be in, luckily it was only a 'half way' house while waiting to be re-moved. That house had a living room, then a kitchen & a downstairs bathroom... No outdoor toilet & two bedrooms with no rooms coming off.

Lived above Trustees savings bank,between Peashill rd' and the Chase, on the old St'Annswell rd, 7 rooms including bathroom, but had to go down stairs,unlock a door that was of an almost Fort Knox structure,across the yard to the bog. Needless to say,one winter of this was enough.

I had to pay a fortune this time last year to get ours unblocked , turned out it was two houses further down the line that was causing the problem !!

Could I claim it back ?? could I boggery ??

Had outside bogs in Arnold, Daybrook and Annesley. Our present house (Former railway station) had an outside gents but previous owners removed the bog, leaving floor and drain, building a shed around it. I used it for many years as a chicken house - it was easy to wash down with a hose because of the drain.

A mate of mine had 2 wooden legs & one night we were in the pub & he had to go to the toilet

About 15 mins later he came staggering back dazed with poop all down his back,

I said what happened to you he said " the bog was across the courtyard dark no light so i felt my way around sat down & started my business suddenly the door burst open & someone said who the hell parked this wheelbarrow in here & yanked me out".

• Upvote 2

Could I claim it back ?? could I boggery ??

Did you try?

You will probably find that your deeds have conditions which state the drains are 'Joint and Several'

You should pay equal shares for Drain Repairs and anything else shared. Paths etc.

I had the same problems at Marhill.

Of course I tried ! I'm pretty sure I started a topic about it too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had council wallah round here banging on at me with just that same story, after I sent them the reciept from Dyno Rod. My point at the time was that next door down the line is a council house and the blockage appeared to be there. Mr Dyno Rod man took ages but fixed it in the end.

It then transpired (alledgedly) to have been a blockage at a house even further down the system that was the fault.

After council wallah had finished telling me all this I asked for two thirds of my money back , IE for his council property, and the other neighbours. He came out with a load more gobbledygook about how ' I should have called them first'

My responce was along the lines of how could I do that and wait

A ... How was supposed to know that ?

B.... Supposed to have to wait before trying to stop my back yard being covered in pooh!!

C.... I've got little kids who may find it interesting to investigate that mounting pile of efluent in my back garden.

D.... And seeing as how it had taken him 3 weeks to respond to my letter , we'd have been swimming in 541t by now !!!

He stood there shrugging his shoulders and talking cobblers till in the end , (To coin a phrase from the film "The Battle of Britain") " I did something totally unforgivable, I lost my temper " And told the ignorat tw*t to get off my property !

(By the way , the law has just been changed , in that , if it's your drains fault the owners of the water supply/ sewerage system now have to fix it !!)

I believe you have three years to commence a claim against the other parties.

Have you got no legal helpline under your insurances or other?

Citizens advice?

Give us more info about Water supply authorities NEW responsibility for the drains?

Is that on your land as well as they keep writing to me asking me if I will take on a

maintenance contact against such damage?

Whilst I am on such subjects.

TV AD

"Why pay to protect an old gas guzzling boiler?"

OK "Lets do the maths"

"£17 a month to protect an new boiler".

Why did he not do the maths?

The answer £2040

It may just be North West water that have altered their policy thinking about it. We had a flyer through the door informing us of this in around June last year. I only shredded it at Christmas too.

To be honest I never thought about the houshold insurance , but seeing as how there's a hundred pound excess on the insurance , and it only cost £94 to get Dyno Rod in , it would have been a simple no brainer really

And on the subject of daft adverts!!

Any body seen that one for BUPA ? With the 'Old boy' talking about having some chickens in the home where he lives ? In his story he mentions being 83 years old , then goes on to state he was a soldier and won a medal in the war........................If he's 83 that means he was born in 1929 making him 15 when the war finished !! I know we started them young , but come on, stop insulting my inteligence

• 1 month later...

I lived on Bailey St in Netherfield in the 50s, we had an outside loo, in the winter my Mum used to put in a couple of lit candles to stop it freezing, if we had money izal was the order of the day, if not squares of newspaper, we were always reluctant to use the newspaper as they could be exchanged for a bag of chips from Whites chippy on the corner. Our tin bath used to hang on the back of the coalhouse door but more often than not me and my sister would be plonked in the dolly tub. When my Mum remarried we moved (on a handcart) to Midland Rd, WOW, three bedrooms, seperate toilet and a bathroom.

• Upvote 1

arr whites chippy remember it well my friends maralyn and june commerie lived that way and yvonne and sherrie lelewie when we used to go and play on ley st park in the summer used to nipp up there for chips and peas save me going home and one of there mums or mrs barett who was a friendof my mums, would give me a drink always loved those posh houses on midland rd. well at least i thought they were posh in the 50s 60s. if i remember right they had a front parlour too..

but in them days we used to think dunston st and curzon st were posh compeared to ethel grove were i lived

We had outside bogs,made of timber at 4 Clayton Square Radford, no kitchen, no sink, just had bowl with cold water to wash in,we had to fetch the water from an outside tap that was in the middle of the square. A bloke with a horse and cart came every week or so to change the bog bins. Toilet paper was old newspapers ripped up in squares hanging on a nail, and if you were lucky and had the money to buy a jaffa orange you could use the tissue it was wrapped up in to wipe your botty with. Oh! and forgot to say, that we had one dim gas light above the mantel piece,thats if you had a shilling to put in the gas meter, but only candel on a saucer when one went upstairs to bed.

Don't tell the younger generation though, they will think you are lying or completley stark raving bonker's ;)

• Upvote 1