So, who DID have a house with an outside toilet.

I "knew" both of those in that photo, Knew as is saw them regularly and talked, maybe at Locarno? or if from Meadows some "club" mentioned before up an outside enclosed wooden staircase, can't recall either's name, though maybe hers Jean? And yes a good hairstyle! and both slim (like me then) just shows what a day's work and old time diet (plus beer) did!

Back on topic anybody see anything "nasty" in an outside bog! (plenty of choices I guess from rats to who knows what) but "During the war" in London my UXB squad uncle (also mentioned before) told me of going to one site with a tell tale hole in the ground, they dug and dug, no signs, then a white faced bloke came, words to the effect of "come and look at this *******"! were said and round the corner good many yards away in middle of a row of outside bogs was one with door wide open, cradled in the undamaged pan was a bomb, the one they were seeking, thoughts were it had gone in hit something like a cast sewer shot off an an angle come back out of ground travelled up through hole found later then in via open door hit back off wall and force expended dropped in pan! he did tell me size, forget now but small enough for a 19 year old to carry in both arms after the "doctor" had played with it

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And just to add to everyone's tales of outside toilets !!  We lived in a regular terrace house from mid 1960's that had at one time like all others have an outside toilet just at the end of the kitche

What a lovely name "Cesspit Sid" just love it (bet he used to come over just to take the pi$$)   Rog

You are the poshest person I know @LizzieM we didn't have any kind of toilet until I was 14 when I had my first tom tit 

I remember from my childhood going to the War Museum, London and being amazed by the paths bombs took upon hitting the ground.

Remember the Comerys well,some other neighbours on Bailey St as i recall, Jennifer Hayes, Malcolm Coffee, Jeffrey and Grenville Mawer, Morris and David Flint, Nigel and Judith Peck, i think Mick Meehuw (apologies for the spelling) lived there, Derek Crisp?, as previously mentioned, Whites chippy on one corner and Grace Carnells grocery shop on the other, Roy Ward lived round the corner on Forester St, as did Mick Mardell and Ada Bates and her boys Harold, Kenny and George?

I put a topic on here re Bomb Disposal but can I heck find it? didn't say a deal re bomb routes cept that one, not because he didn't like talking re such though, guess so many? beside most of the big ones didn't divert, just carried on going! on more than one occasion they left such in place as too much bother! As the officer said "if it does go up later there won't be much evidence left"

Mid winter used to be freezing, if only we'd been taught about high fibre diets back then, would have been a couple of minutes instead of half an hour.... !sleeping!

deric crisp was at the aswell st school reunion with his wife anne dethridge and know kenny and georgie well he was in my sister kaths class at ashwell st school i think it ison one of the netherfield threads there is a class photo was put on by by loppy lugs you might recognise some of them. knew a lot of them but were all older than me but because of my older sisters and brother often knew the older kids too can you remember harold mann and chuck bryson they used to pal about with my brother ray and were often at our house but lived in your neck of the woods. maralynne commerie was in my class all the way through scool and was one of my friends her yonger sister june was a little bit younger than us but mal was not allowwed out unless we took june with us too

We called it a p1$$-pot ! You did not need to be told which kids slept with a p1$$-pot under there bed (me included) @ Sidney Pearson Hill Primary School !!

My Mum used to sprinkle Jeyes fluid or Zoflora disinfectant on my school clothes before i left for school i smelt like a bog !

Shine your brasses with Brasso,

it's only threeha'pence a tin,

You can buy it or nick it from Woolies,

But I doubt if they've got any in.

Omo washes not only clean,

Not only white, but Bright,

'cause Omo adds bright, bright, brightness!

Anyone remember this jingle?

Was it Surf or Tide in and dirt out?? How did that ad go?

Another washing powder (Omo?) had an advertising campaign where they used to go to various households and the lady of the house was all smiles and the house and washing gleaming white. The jingle used to say "Shining White... Street" Knew a girl fairly well in Wollaton whose mother had been in the ad. That one was "Shining Whitemoss Close".

Apologies for going well off topic.

Didn't Harpic go 'Clean Round The Bend'?

O'dear i used to work with a youth his nickname was harpic ! i never knew why until now ! Think he's still doing time !

Our Dad would sometimes fill the bath with surplus coal ! so bath night would be @ my nans she used to add washing powder !