So, who DID have a house with an outside toilet.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And just to add to everyone's tales of outside toilets !!  We lived in a regular terrace house from mid 1960's that had at one time like all others have an outside toilet just at the end of the kitche

What a lovely name "Cesspit Sid" just love it (bet he used to come over just to take the pi$$)   Rog

You are the poshest person I know @LizzieM we didn't have any kind of toilet until I was 14 when I had my first tom tit 

• 1 month later...

Firbeck #1 To answer your question - we did - we still have - and we still use it - virtually every day! What can be more sensible

when gardening? Need a quick slash, no need to go in and take off muddy boots etc. Electric light as well. We have progressed from the old squares of Evening Post though, we use the Telegraph now.....

Before I retired I was working as a visitor in some offices. Two office workers were talking. The young lady said that she lived in

West Bridgford. The guy said that his grandmother lived in West Bridgford and that "She still had an outside toilet, for Heaven`s sake!" What weird, `up th sens` attitudes some people have nowadays.

• Upvote 3

We had an outside lav back in the 1950's in Hucknall.........It was horrible, always snot down the walls and newspaper to wipe one's backside on, the pipes use to freeze in the winter when you could not get the chain to pull and people left their messes, a lighted candle was always standing by the tank then, buckets of water were used.........We lived on a back yard with 2 other houses which were rented rooms, always scruffy families coming and going, they never cleaned their lav's, so they use to use ours when they thought no one was looking - my dad whitewashed it regularly and mum cleaned it almost everyday using harpic, I can remember that smell, I hated going into the lav, it was awful, couldn't wait to get into the kitchen to wash my hands afterwards.................Later the landlords changed hands and we were modernised, an inside bathroom was installed and the lav's where pulled down, that was great.......

• Upvote 1

I can certainly remember Birkin Avenue in the late 60s. It had an outside lav. It still had an Anderson shelter too. As a child I asked for the loo and my father took me down a path made of the shiny white bricks from the iron works, and to the toilet.

My father was from a big family and there was only one lav. Out the back. How they managed back in the 40s when my father and his siblings grew up is anyones guess. I suspect it had something to do with potties.

• 1 year later...

My mum recalls when she was younger and they had an outside toilet. Her family kept a chicken in the back yard called Larty. It never let her go into the loo and chased her round the yard. Eventually its neck was pulled and it was served at the dinner table. She refused to touch it.

• Upvote 1

We lived in a semi in the relatively upmarket suburb of Woodthorpe back in the 40's/50's and had an outside toilet. It was just down the yard from the kitchen next to the coal house. It all seemed perfectly normal at the time as I knew no other. We also kept chickens, sold eggs and grew vegetables. My father had an allotment on Somersby Road (now built over). We ultimately moved to a house off Thackery's Lane in the 60's which did have an inside toilet and was quite a novelty at the time. When we moved to the countryside in '62 we had both an inside and outside toilet. The outside one being the archetypal brick built shed down the garden which was "convenient" when working outside. Where we now live we have four toilets - luxury I could never have imagined as a child!

Born and breed up St Ann's all the house's (unfit for human habitation) had out side toilet's. We were lucky as each house in our  yard had it's own loo.

Each Saturday morning, mum would wash and scrub the toilet floor and clean the toilet. In winter dad would put in a lighted candle to stop the toilet from freezing. For the light we had a touch blub attached to a battery, believe it or not this worked. We must have had the cleanest toilet up St Ann's.

A member ask if any one did not have a toilet supplied by the mains water, when we lived at the coast we had a cesspit, and to get it emptied you had to phone a chap called "Cesspit Sid" now as far as I know Sid is still empting Cesspits, he must be getting on for 70/80.

What a lovely name "Cesspit Sid" just love it (bet he used to come over just to take the pi$$)

Rog

• Upvote 4

All the houses that I lived in when in Nottingham had outside toilets ('loo' was an unknown word then). Speetchly St, Peveril St and Park Rd Carlton. The house we live in now had a red brick sh but it was in a state of collapse so was demolished. That was 30 years ago and that area of garden is still settling and I have to keep filling it in. The nearby Magnolia is doing well though.

We had a shock when moving into our house in France. Mrs PP went upstairs to the bathroom for the loo - there wasn't one! Then we found it - in a cupboard under the stairs. There are now 3 loos inc the cupboard. Like compo there is plenty of choice outside in our few acres.

Our first house after we were married had an outside toilet (a bit posh - it was a lavatory). One day there was a terrific storm and lightning struck the chimney stack, sending a shower of house bricks into the yard and through the lav's slate roof. Thankfully no-one was on the throne at the time. The lav had an interesting feature. As you sat there contemplating on a sunny day, a very narrow beam of sunlight projected through a tiny hole in the door, producing a perfect pinhole camera image of the outside scene on the inside whitewashed wall. You don't get that added extra with modern-day toilets. On the negative side it used to freeze up in winter.

• Upvote 2

Down the Meadows everyone had an outside Lav, no bath or shower, we had to go to the public baths on Muskham st, only one electric socket in the whole house, I don't know how we survived.

Not about Nottingham (I know! First time for everything) but seeing the word Lavatory reminded me of the difference in English and American. When we were motel hunting 31 years ago, one of the States we looked at, was Colorado. The agent showing us properties was also a motel owner. For our overnight stay he suggested we stay at his place and could see what a remodelled motel looked like. The next morning at breakfast, he asked if the room had been O.K, and mentioned the bathroom. He said the lavatory is a bit small though, you can hardly wash your hands in there. We looked shocked, wondering what sort of country we'd come to, he then explained he was talking about the tiny corner wash hand basin. Known as a lavatory! Learned 2 new words there, when he took us to lunch, and I ordered a sandwich and chips and got a bag if crisps on me plate.

• Upvote 1

We had an outside toilet when we lived on Bathley street,smelled of paraffin in winter and damp white wash rest of the year,spiders as big as sparrows anall

Rog

When I worked on EMGB in the early 60s winter was a great time for us, nice and frosty, snow on the ground, finished work and off we went defrosting outside loo's and mending leaks in the lead pipe's. Plenty of beer money in a winter.

Don't think I'd seen an inside loo or soft bog roll until I worked in Nottingham Park, it was Izel at school and the evening post at home. Proper recycling.

• Upvote 1

I reckon, if the lock gets stuck, you can limbo out of there! Actually I don't know the answer, as well as a gap at the bottom, there are gaps up each side, like the door is smaller than the gap. I always pee as fast as I can, to get out of there. LOL. 

• Upvote 1

^^^^^^^That's why they have the gaps ................. folks are much quicker so they have to install less loo's, no sitting there contemplating the history of the universe. Just economy like over here they loo rolls are now much narrow about 10mm I think, saves a fortune in paper.

• Upvote 1