So, who DID have a house with an outside toilet.

Lived in Radford, an outside loo across the yard. In winter Dad hung a hurricane lamp near the cistern to keep it from freezing. News Of The World toilet paper, or the Post. As kids we were frightened of the dark, so we had the luxury of a "high end" plastic torch from Woolworths. Didn't trust us with candles! The toilets at Claremont school were outside, and it was a toss-up what was worst  . Tha smell of disinfectant, or the smell of----well, you know. I wonder if that's why it was  the place to go to sneak a quick fag? Moved to a house in Forest Fields, with an inside toilet. What luxury. Oddly there was an outside one as well. Handy when you had an elder sister using the facilities. I guess we all take it for granted nowadays, I'd love to see how today's kids would manage.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And just to add to everyone's tales of outside toilets !!  We lived in a regular terrace house from mid 1960's that had at one time like all others have an outside toilet just at the end of the kitche

What a lovely name "Cesspit Sid" just love it (bet he used to come over just to take the pi$$)   Rog

You are the poshest person I know @LizzieM we didn't have any kind of toilet until I was 14 when I had my first tom tit 

My relatives in Garden Street had no bathroom and the loo was right at the bottom of the yard. No light and the danger of a freeze up in winter. As a child who was extremely picky about toilets, I wouldn't use it. If Emily or George needed to answer the call of nature in the night, there was a pot under their bed!

Catfan, Do you think the people there would be expected to carry poo bags to clear up after their dogs.....  just a thought...

Thinking of pots under the bed, we used to call it "the po". Don't know why Preferable to the walk downstairs, across the yard and back. Memories of carrying it downstairs to empty it in the toilet. On very cold days, it went down the drain outside the back door! (Depending on the "contents" of course ). Nobody ever used one for number two as far as I know, can you imagine??

• Upvote 2
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I had an uncle and aunt who lived on Heskey Street in Nottingham. I used to stay there regularly and hated their outside loo. It was right at the top of the garden near the gate into the back alley. It gave me nitemares. Don’t know what was worse going in the dark or braving the spiders (which are a pet hate of mine). My cousin and I used to go together when it was dark (at the time there was some trouble with someone lurking in the back alleys). That was just as bad as you had to stand outside in the dark waiting for each other, no security lights then, imaging the worse.

I have always hated outside toilets and after my traumatic experience in the outside, self flushing infant loos at Berridge, I don't think I ever used an outside loo again. I do have one here but I never use it. It's part of a separate set of outbuildings.  I have a phobia about loos to some extent, caused I'm certain by that early experience at Berridge.

The house I am in now has what was once an outside loo. Luckily the previous owners amalgamated it and the two storage sheds into a room at the side of the house otherwise it would definitely not have been used. Haven’t decided what I am going to use it for as yet, but it is a big room.

my husband tells me of when he came up to live in Piemonte from a small village in Sicily. There were many house (mostly very old ones) with OST on the balconies . In those days Sicilians weren't welcome and the phrase of Terroni was quite common. Some were downright rude in their criticism of Sicilians but my husband got in first to say that at least in Sicily we had indoor toilets and even bidets that they didn't have here. (Piemonte)

• Upvote 3

Still got one!   (Only used for extra storage now though! although it did come in handy when I fitted the new bathroom circa 2003) We did have an internal one too!
Believe it or not it was a big selling point to SWMBO when we bought this house. She pictured kids getting 'caught short' whilst playing in the garden and needing somewhere to go quick, me? anything to keep her happy!

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...