So, who DID have a house with an outside toilet.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And just to add to everyone's tales of outside toilets !!  We lived in a regular terrace house from mid 1960's that had at one time like all others have an outside toilet just at the end of the kitche

What a lovely name "Cesspit Sid" just love it (bet he used to come over just to take the pi$$)   Rog

You are the poshest person I know @LizzieM we didn't have any kind of toilet until I was 14 when I had my first tom tit 

I lived on Russell Rd Forest Fields 1961-72 and that had an outside toilet which was rarely used because there was an inside one too.

My first wife however lived on Exeter Rd and their only toilet was outside. They also had a plumbed in bath in the kitchen.

One of my primary school friends had a bath in the kitchen. Her father was a plumber and he installed it. When not in use, it was covered up. I think it was not uncommon in houses where there was no separate bathroom. Wouldn't be permitted today, of course!  Their loo was also outside.

Not so many years ago ( say 35 yrs ) some of my in-laws visited us and were horrified that there wasn’t a bidet i the bathroom. Even the oldest houses had one so for them we were a dirty lot:Shock:. When we moved to R.O.T. my brother reorganized the bathroom to accommodate one.

Bidets seem to have gone out of vogue. However there are toilets available that blast you violently with warm water up the backside. The first bidet I ever saw, many years ago, was in Paris where you could sit on the toilet and dangle your feet in after a tiring day of sightseeing. The French are keen on personal hygiene and even wash their hands before going to the toilet!

We never had an outside toilet but am reverting a bit that way with a bucket at the allotment which kinda puts me in the same club as you lot!

My childhood home only had an INSIDE loo but our first married home only had an OUTSIDE loo (until we had one put in tne bathroom)

I did not live in a house with an inside toilet until I was 20.

No bathroom either. After puberty it was the public baths for me every Friday night. At 28 my new house had three inside toilets and I found it very confusing :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2022 at 3:30 PM, PeverilPeril said:

I did not live in a house with an inside toilet until I was 20.

No bathroom either. After puberty it was the public baths for me every Friday night. At 28 my new house had three inside toilets and I found it very confusing :rolleyes:

I remember when we lived in Leicester street st anns , we had outside toilet in the courtyard , scared to use in the dark in case there were a big hairy spider lurking in there !

One sheet of Izal was handed to any infant who asked to visit the horrendous outside loos at Berridge. After my disastrous initial visit, I never used those loos again until indoor toilets had been installed just before I left. Fortunately, I went home for lunch and went there.

4 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

One sheet of Izal was handed to any infant who asked to visit the horrendous outside loos

Must have been a general policy...  I remember the same at Sneinton infants and cried all the way home.