In the 70's me and my mates used to frequent this establishment and some of us, including me, even worked there - as table clearers and washer uppers.

Does anyone remember this place that was located on Thurland Street - opposite the NatWest bank I think it was.

And did anyone by any chance ever take a photo of the place?

Andy

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Belated thanks Cliff Ton.... did download one of your pics before Photobucket turned into ransomware.   Anyway, thinking back, I wonder what hygiene rating out of 5 the Old Dutch would have

What a small world and lovely to see the interior now. Thurland st '1977/78 used to be called La Buca Italian restaurant. My husband bought it from the old Dutch cafe. With very little money he threw

Here are the photos of La Buca ex old Dutch.. 76/77 looking towards Natwest building.

I recall a café called the Gingham Kitchen, on the street that runs parallel to Parliament street at the back of the bit of the Vicky Centre opposite the main part of it (Clear as mud I know ) Lincoln Street I think. It runs at right angles to Thurland street though

(I've just found a photo on Google earth but I can't 'borrow' it for some reason)

• Upvote 1

I recall a café called the Gingham Kitchen, on the street that runs parallel to Parliament street at the back of the bit of the Vicky Centre opposite the main part of it (Clear as mud I know ) Lincoln Street I think. It runs at right angles to Thurland street though

(I've just found a photo on Google earth but I can't 'borrow' it for some reason)

My uncle, despite being rather wealthy to say the least, ( his father was the founder of Albert Martin Holdings, and Martin Emprex, suppliers to M & S,) had his "wedding tea" in The Gingham Kitchen after marrying my auntie. I could never understand that, coincidentally, they lived next door to Dale Winton when he was still living in Nottingham, in Malvern Court, Mapperley Rd, and were mentioned by Dale in his biography, but by pseudonyms as he mentions some rather odd behaviour by my auntie! ( Par for the course it would seem, when a couple with more than 6 zeros on the end of their bank balance has a wedding celebration at The Gingham Kitchen!)

He would often be the poorest looking man (dress wise) in the pub just up from The Hole In The Wall, can't recall what it's called, odd eh?

• 5 years later...

All that's left of the Gingham Kitchen is the sign it's now empty.

Painted yellow with a black windmill above the door,next door to the carpet/lino shop. The old Dutch did lovely egg n chips!! Brown varnished stalls inside..used to get off Rosetta bus outside Littlewoods, walk up and have a feed.

• 2 weeks later...

They used to do a great Full English there.

The Old Dutch was, not surprisingly, run by a Dutchman, whose name I forget, Mr Van something or other. He opened on Thurland St after his original café had to close following re-development of the area. This café was The Flying Dutchman and was on the corner of Bridlesmith Gate and Pepper Street and my Gran worked in the kitchen there during the late 50's and early 60's.

I recall going into The Od Dutch one lunchtime with Mrs Commo for a burger and she unfortunately mistook the sugar sifter for a salt pot and refused to eat her burger as a consequence!

• 1 month later...

What a small world and lovely to see the interior now. Thurland st '1977/78 used to be called La Buca Italian restaurant. My husband bought it from the old Dutch cafe. With very little money he threw everything out including the dirt and grime and simply made it into his first restaurant. Behind what was the bar he found a big hole that he almost put his foot through and consequently called the restaurant "la Buca" (the hole) inside after the steps on the left hand side was an old safe which a friend of his decorated with bits of broken glass. Wonder what happened to it. On the walls instead of wallpaper we brought back from Italy boxes upon boxes of unused wine labels given to us by some wine producers here. It made very interesting reading and some newspaper articles commented on this.We still have photos mainly of inside. I will look for them and try and post. We sold to the Poonaam Indian but although we have returned to Nottm many times we've never passed through Thurland st.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I found 2 pics of the interior but not one from the outside. I will scan them and post. The Thurland was on the corner then the carpet shop a long corridor and then La Buca. It had a large glass frontage with the door if I remember correctly diagonally across the corner. Just a minute I'll look at pics. Yes it was across corner. We had red and white check curtains matched to tablecloths. The top part of the window was blacked out in an arch with ristorante e caffe La Buca written just below. When we bought it it was very dingy and unfortunately the owners were going bankrupt which was a shame in view of the positive comments. It was exactly opposite the NatWest. My husband opened without a license so couldn't sell alcohol but he obtained one some months after. The menu was only very small.