• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Belated thanks Cliff Ton.... did download one of your pics before Photobucket turned into ransomware.   Anyway, thinking back, I wonder what hygiene rating out of 5 the Old Dutch would have

What a small world and lovely to see the interior now. Thurland st '1977/78 used to be called La Buca Italian restaurant. My husband bought it from the old Dutch cafe. With very little money he threw

Here are the photos of La Buca ex old Dutch.. 76/77 looking towards Natwest building.

It was cozy but a bit outdated now. We had customers who knew my husband from when he worked at Trattoria Conte. They followed him in all the restaurants we had over the years. Many of whom we are still in touch with. We still hear from Mr Conte who came back here to retire. Yes Italian food is good, you never get tired of it there are so many regions all with different specialities. We are in Piedmont where the food and wines are excellent although there are a few thinks I won't eat !!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nonna, Have you deleted/resized/cropped them from Photo bucket? If you do, then they will disappear from here. That happened to me once

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Belated thanks Cliff Ton.... did download one of your pics before Photobucket turned into ransomware.

Anyway, thinking back, I wonder what hygiene rating out of 5 the Old Dutch would have received in the seventies?

I can rememeber, when I had my Saturday job there, that washing up was a three person job: My mate stood at one side of the sink scraping off the leftovers from the plates; he passed them to the little old lady in the middle who gave them a dunk and cursory wipe with the dish cloth before passing them to me for wiping. This system didn't always result in a satisfactory result so my mate and I had to implement a quality control system: Any unclean plates were passed behind the old lady's back for another 'wash' and sometimes more than once...

• Upvote 3
14 hours ago, Rhymester said:

Belated thanks Cliff Ton.... did download one of your pics before Photobucket turned into ransomware.

That comment might not make much sense at the moment...........I can't explain what's happening.

The two photos at #39 had disappeared under the Photobucket cull.  They have now re-appeared. I didn't do anything.

Just reread this topic and saw my pics have disappeared. Be pleased to repost if anyone wants.

9 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Please do re=post them nonnaB; but just remember not to use Photobucket :rolleyes:

And I've just re-posted one of mine which had disappeared at #39.

Great photo! Also shows the pavement opposite onto which my mates and I once superglued a coin and had a great laugh watching people try to pocket it... if only we'd had mobile phones with cameras back then.

image.jpg

Looking into restaurant note safe and fireplace decorated with broken bottles.

• Upvote 1

image.jpg

Here are the photos of La Buca ex old Dutch.. 76/77 looking towards Natwest building.

• Upvote 2
8 hours ago, loppylugs said:

Dumb question.  How can you re-post them, Cliff?   You cannot edit old posts so I don't see how you could redirect a photo to them???:Fool:

Not dumb.

Admin staff can edit with no time limit (and some of us do).  Which means that theoretically I could repost all my missing images.  I may have a bit of spare time these days, but........

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

The Old Dutch was run by Kees Verkerk and he also used to run The Flying Dutchman and Lloyds snack bar on Bridlesmith Gate in the late 50's- early 60's.  I believe the Old Dutch did become an Indian Restaurant.  

The old Dutch was owned by my husband about1976 called it La Buca then we sold to an Indian restaurant possible Poonam. There's a lot of info if you care to look back.

Welcome Snerk nice to see you here, hope you enjoy our little group.

• 2 years later...

20220103_160836.jpg

Well 12 years after asking the question I've just come across one of my own photos that accidentally included the Old Dutch Cafe's doorway! I was at college in the seventies and chose pubs of Nottingham for my photography assignment.

I hadn't seen the photos of the Gingham Kitchen until now. Brings back memories of the first time I went in there in February 1975. My sister had just given birth to her first child and was in the City Hospital maternity unit. Visiting hours were very strict then. Mum and I met in town after work, had something to eat at The Gingham Kitchen before going to see my sister and her baby son.

The Gingham Kitchen did wonderful ice cream pancakes! I remember them well.

Can anyone remember the Pepper Mill cafe off Clumber Street? 

Having frequented said cafe for a number of years, I arranged to meet an old flame who I ran into on my hen night on the Thursday that I was getting married(to someone else) on the Saturday, who a la the Vicar of Dibley said don’t marry him, marry me! Guess what, he never turned up at the Pepper Mill and I went on to marry my first husband on the Saturday, even thinking the old flame was going to turn up at the wedding.  

I was very gullible in those days.

Mrs B