What was in YOUR sandwich?

BK, sounds more like pork dripping than lard.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can understand anyone who has never had a life threatening illness not wanting to spend money experimenting on what may or may not be a waste of money, but there are some of us out there who are liv

My Cholesterol is within safe limits without statins ! 

For those of you who don't like the taste of Benecol, it is a matter of personal taste because I do like it, otherwise I would not buy it. For instance, as for expense, compared to a bottle of wine or

Beef dripping was my favourite sandwich, still like dripping, my American wife turns her nose up when she see's me making a dripping sandwich.

I used to like Bovril flavoured crisp sandwiches too.

2 hours ago, Ayupmeducks said:

I used to like Bovril flavoured crisp sandwiches too.

A hot cup of Bovril was must have at half time when standing in the old east stand watching the Forest on a bitterly cold February day.

If you bought a pie with it the pie was nearly cold by the time you got back to your place on the terraces.

Right!!!

Beef Dripping.. especially if laced with a bit of deep brown jelly.. was a delight.  But then we always had sliced white bread and I just can't eat that stuff nowadays. .... It's like aerated putty.

I had several 'faves' way back.  Most memorable were Cheese and Tomato sandwiches which I used to take down to Long Eaton Stock Car Stadium  with a few mates.  We'd cycle down there then eat our sandwiches outside while waiting for the gates to open.  Proper old dry-ish Cheddar.. Toms with flavour... Lurpack butter and the amazing bread from Hardy's Bakery in Boowul... Magic..!

My 'stock' sandwich.. ( I keep wanting to say 'Butty'.. but that's an affectation I only assumed since moving up here to Scouseland...) was just good ole Cheese and Brown Sauce.. Not sure I could stomach that now...

Another 'Tea Time' fave was Cheese and Apple. which could be improved by adding plain crisps....  Verging on Gourmet food that was.. :laugh:

I must have mentioned this before..

On rare occasions in Winter when the Milkman didn't make it due to weather.. we couldn't have our Cornflakes. Porridge or whatever..

Solution....?

Bread fried in Beef Dripping. with a sprinkle of salt...

Fab...!

And it didn't damage our hearts...  Oh no... !! :rolleyes:.

9 hours ago, DJ360 said:

I had several 'faves' way back.  Most memorable were Cheese and Tomato sandwiches which I used to take down to Long Eaton Stock Car Stadium  with a few mates. 

Im the late 60s/early 70s I used to go to Long Eaton Stadium to watch the stock car racing with my dad. 

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/1302-long-eaton-stadium-stock-cars-and-speedway/

When I was about 5 the young lady next door (much more wordly-wise and mature at 6) invited me to a picnic on her front lawn. Her mum made us boiled egg sandwiches with Heinz salad cream and I thought they were the best thing I’d ever tasted. I fell in love immediately - with the sandwiches. Still love them to this day.

• Like 4

The jelly was the give away BJ.

I'm told (because it was before I was born) that my sister used to pinch slices of bread from the kitchen, take them outside and make soil sandwiches!  She also kept a shoebox full of worms.

This was the 12 year old girl who said to me on my 5th birthday, "I can remember the day you were born. I thought you'd be older than me".  :wacko:

You can choose your friends!

• Like 2

Why don't you get a decent jelly round pork pies anymore ? Dripping jelly is gorgeous on any bread or better still, toast.

PHIL !! THAT'S THE BEST BIT OF PORK PIE. Just received a Mowbray farm pork pie from Iceland delivery. On reading the label it says, "Mowbray farms, North Yorkshire !! Have yet to try it, tea time will tell.

Phil, wouldn't your cats eat the jelly from the pork pie?   Seems a shame to throw it away!

I never thought of that Margie. I find the jelly just a tastless gloop but they may be more discerning! I'm sitting in the car in Newark at the moment, waiting for my wife. The a/c is full on as its 30C outside so I'm polluting the air with CO2. I've just been into Homebase and at least two builders weren't masked but I thought it best not to challenge them! It's pretty quiet here with lots of roadside parking so I guess a lot of people are wary of the virus at the Bakkorvar factory. Perhaps best not to buy ready made desserts from the major retailers though. I think they employ a lot of Eastern European labour and they tend to live cheek by jowl.

4 hours ago, philmayfield said:

It can’t be a true Melton pie if it’s not made in the Melton area.

Mine didn't say it were a Melton pie. It says on the label Mowbray farm.

Just to clarify it BK :

The name Melton Mowbray can now only be applied to uncured pork-filled pies cooked without supporting hoops and made within a 10.8 square mile (28 square kilometre) zone around the town. Permissible ingredients are fresh pork (pies must be at least 30% meat), shortening (usually lard), pork gelatine or stock, wheat flour, water, salt and spices (predominantly pepper). Artificial colours, flavours and preservatives are not allowed.

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

Just to clarify it BK :

The name Melton Mowbray can now only be applied to uncured pork-filled pies cooked without supporting hoops and made within a 10.8 square mile (28 square kilometre) zone around the town. Permissible ingredients are fresh pork (pies must be at least 30% meat), shortening (usually lard), pork gelatine or stock, wheat flour, water, salt and spices (predominantly pepper). Artificial colours, flavours and preservatives are not allowed.

I am aware Phil., 

Bloody Tykes trying to steal our pie tradition!!

What about the famous Mansfield Goosberry/Pork pie. It contained no pork meat but was filled with goosberries and  baked in the same pastry used for pork pies. The affluent often poured warm redcurrant jelly into the vent hole on the top of the pie.