What was in YOUR sandwich?

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can understand anyone who has never had a life threatening illness not wanting to spend money experimenting on what may or may not be a waste of money, but there are some of us out there who are liv

My Cholesterol is within safe limits without statins ! 

For those of you who don't like the taste of Benecol, it is a matter of personal taste because I do like it, otherwise I would not buy it. For instance, as for expense, compared to a bottle of wine or

Paulus, thanks for the Google reference.

You lived a little further up the lane from my grandma and granddad: they lived directly opposite the 'Aspley Medical Centre' - 'The Forum' back then - in a double at the back of the green railings.

They had three gardens: one on the front, one on the side and a super, huge one at the back - they were both keen gardeners; I suppose you could say that I come from a Green Fingered Family !hand! me being a keen gardener myself - weather allowing.

PS: apologise for this emoticon but the ones I usually use are not working - drat!!

Our house is directly opposite the Medical centre, on the corner of the green, with the hexagonal side windows, I lived there from 1961 to 1969 the google shot has a big white van sitting in the drive, must have only been a couple of doors away from your gran's. Huge grassed side garden that I used to have to mow regularly!!

slywink

For a quick snack this afternoon I had a banana sandwich, sprinkled with brown sugar.......

I have not had one for years,

Sacre bleu!! mon brave...................zey 'av zee bananas in La belle France, quel surprise!!

• Upvote 1

:biggrin: I Love a banana sandwich with a cup of tea: the height of Haute Cuisine. :biggrin:

PS: I'm remembering back to 'Domestic Science' lessons in the late 50's and our task was to prepare: sandwiches.

A red haired girl, name of Gillian brought the ingredients to make banana and sultana sandwiches; we other girls laughed our socks off: "What sultanas with bananas! how simply Disgustin'"!! Anyway, the joke was on us because the Domestic Science teacher, Miss Read gave her full marks! :ohmy:

Banana, condensed milk, Marmite & Peanut butter...............................not tried it missen', but hopefully someone else will, & let me knowe the 'outcome' (roooooooooooooooooth) :biggrin:

Paulus, years back there was no lovelier long road, than that of Aspley Lane, especially when the cherry trees were in bloom.

I recall the time of the 50's when we kids would walk from Aspley through to Radford Wood House with my grandma; she'd always point out 'The Seven Sisters' to us, which were a group of tall trees, which I should imagine at one time fronted Aspley Hall. unionflag

Seven sisters probably long gone.................yes Aspley lane had most things we kids needed, King Georges Park, shops, garage, Forum, more shops(including Co-op), Sally army hall, 2 churches, Beer-off on corner of Melbourne, allotments (pre-school) with 'scrumpin' opportunities, Players rec', & finally opposit the bottom there was my dad's 'local' the 'sheaf' , lined as you say with lovely blossom trees............ :laugh:

Cheese and Marmite, Brie and cranberry or a tasty egg and mushroom lad for me. Aunty Mary often gave me Pobs for supper (Whaton ave). And Mum made the onion cucumber mix as part of Sunday tea (Maypole). Also, had the tinned fruit and thinly sliced brown bread and butter combi. For years I thought evaporated milk was cream.

• Upvote 1

Compo's contemporary dictionary definition of crisp: Crisp (n) A thinly sliced piece of potato, fried in hot oil until golden and 'Crisp' - eaten when cold. Not to be confused with Chip (n) a finger shaped slice of potato, fried until golden and eaten with salt and vinegar whilst hot.

Wife and I often have crisp sandwiches for lunch, with a few extra ones scattered on the side.

When we first came to oz, remember asking for crisps and getting a blank stare ! Oh you mean potato chips ! weird.

And fritters (potato slices fried) are potato cakes !

wife went into a bakery in Melbourne many years ago and asked for half a doz cobs please, what ! was the reply, oh you mean rolls.

As its nearly the festive season my good lady spoilt me yesterday and baked some home made sausage rolls, she bought the gourmet butchers cumberland sausage I mentioned earlier, stripped the skins off and put it in her own puff pastry. Yummy !

Also cheese and bacon puffs another favourite of mine.

3-4 grilled fish fingers, sliced or grated cheese and a sprinkling of pepper between two slices of buttered, fresh bread.

Nearly as good as cheese and onion sandwiches or, sheese and tomato ketchup sandwiches.

My elder brother (past now) his favourite do it himself sandwich was, spoon of cold baked beans spread on a slice of bread, crack an egg on top, a little grated cheese and salt and pepper, grill till egg is cooked then add second slice of bread.

Sounds quite nice actually , I can't wait to get home and give it a go. (Minus the salt and pepper)

That was a typo - I meant cheese.

However, in response to your question, sheese is: - http://brewpublic.co...eese-vs-cheese/

Excellent response Trevor S............. !clapping! , how could you possibly know something so obscure as Sheesh?...............................not courtesy of Mr Google by any cahnce?