What was in YOUR sandwich?

Nah , not like the olden days, doesn't stop me eating them though.

I hope this doesn't get me banned from the site for heresy, but I believe there are some places in the West Midlands (Cradley Heath sort of area) where they still make proper faggots. And if anybody wants a day out to get some decent meat from a proper old- fashioned butcher, go to Ryans in Much Wenlock - not particularly expensive either. Their meat pies are to die for.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can understand anyone who has never had a life threatening illness not wanting to spend money experimenting on what may or may not be a waste of money, but there are some of us out there who are liv

My Cholesterol is within safe limits without statins ! 

For those of you who don't like the taste of Benecol, it is a matter of personal taste because I do like it, otherwise I would not buy it. For instance, as for expense, compared to a bottle of wine or

Stu, never in a million years would I have thought that anyone ate a mushy pea sandwich (#50)...lol. I can remember years ago when I went to a company in Yorkshire and as I was there during the lunch break they invited me to their canteen. I had a nice meal and fancied some rice pudding. The lady put my rice pudding in a dish and asked me if I'd like some custard over it. I was amazed but she said that it was normal for Yorkshire people to have rice pudding and custard. Has anyone else heard of this?

Condensed milk sandwiches..... Sounds revolting I know, but had loads as a kid....

I loved haslet sandwiches for me snap, yes as the op said, with brown sauce too... It does have sage and onion stuffing in it, other than that I don't want to know!!!

Re Beetroot, I got a bit carried away when Morrisons had a Bog off on large jars going a year or two back. I bought 5 so ended up with 10 large jars !! It wasn't till I proudly got it home that I discovered that SWMBO and the kids didn't like it ............AAAAGH !

(Any body want 8 large jars of Beetroot ??)

Can't stand beetroot, has an "earthy" taste to me.

I remember the big bread strike of the late 70's and had to buy Ryebread for my snap, although tasty it was like cardboard, and very limiting to what you can slap between two "boards" I ended up with cheese spreads of meat spreads on it. Wished I'd known how easy it was to make bread back then.

Yep, beetroot sandwiches for me too!

Last spring I pickled some red cabbage - it works really well on cheddar cheese in a sandwich.

"Proper" pickled beets and cabbage are hard to find here - they add sugar to the vinegar to make a sweet syrup - yuck!

LOL - had a bacon butty for me lunch last Thursday!

\snip\, go to Ryans in Much Wenlock - not particularly expensive either. Their meat pies are to die for.

Rats! I was in Much Wenlock a few weeks ago! I didn't know about the butcher and his pies :(

I love a mushy pea sandwich! Also bacon, sausage, egg and cress, Cheese and beetroot, cheese and red cabbage and all manner of othr stuff on a buttie - Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!

I don't like salami but I Have a nice big piece of Stilton in the fridge. I grew some very mild salad onions (Bonus F1) this year and I shall be treating myself to Stilton and onion butties over the next few weeks :)

Tin of Salmon, mix it with some vinagar salad cream and mayo, slices of cucumber. Now that's living.!!

PS am I the only one that prefers tinned Salmon to fresh ??

I got a nice big piece of Stilton at Costco this week! Haven't broken into it yet - but Stilton is fab for stuffing olives for Martinis (real ones, lots of gin and a look at the Vermouth bottle, make mine dirty) - it also works really well on grilled salmon!

Tinned salmon for sandwiches, otherwise fresh. I love grilled salmon but the other week I made a salmon stir-fry that was delicious! Never thought of putting it in the microwave!

Strange unnoticed that as a kid we never had salmon - I don't think we could afford it. Even the canned stuff was expensive!

We had tinned Pink Salmon mixed with fresh breadcrumbs to make it go further. A small tin would do the whole family, if we were lucky, on each festive occasion.