What was in YOUR sandwich?

Just had some Salmon and Cucumber butties for my lunch. Proud to report there's still over half the mixture left for another day, not so proud to report that I'm all bunged up at the moment (Man Flu) and can't taste a flaming thing, including that rather fine Beef Wellington I made us for dinner yesterday. 20 quids worth of fillet steak down the swanney there !!

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can understand anyone who has never had a life threatening illness not wanting to spend money experimenting on what may or may not be a waste of money, but there are some of us out there who are liv

My Cholesterol is within safe limits without statins ! 

For those of you who don't like the taste of Benecol, it is a matter of personal taste because I do like it, otherwise I would not buy it. For instance, as for expense, compared to a bottle of wine or

On of my favourite sandwiches ever was the prawn and cream cheese ones they used to serve in the Lion Hotel on Clumber Street, fantastic.

Love crab also - both white and brown meat

Sausage and egg with 'broon' sauce - delicious

A NICE HAM AND TOMATO ON A NICE FRESH TIGER BREAD WITH A BIT OFF SALAD CREAM

OR MAYBE A CRAB AND PRAWN WITH LETTICE AND TOMATO AND MARIE ROSE SAUCE.

Ok Michael - I admit to putting tomato sauce on it too :) It was yesterday's leftovers. I don't believe in throwing good food away :)

I used to put cucumber and onion into vinegar to soak for a few hours and then make a cheese sandwich with on/cu as a topping.

I don't believe in throwing good food away :)

A light-hearted remark perhaps but I've always been of the same mind. Sure it was the way I was brought up, 'Waste not, want not'.

I can be less than thrifty with some things but still, to this day, find that attitude difficult with food.

Back strictly on topic. A favourite 'sandwich' of mine is an Italian-style large ciabatta roll with mozzarella cheese and tomato. Add good quality olive oil and balsamic vinegar, fresh basil and salt and pepper. Like to buy the ciabatta rolls ready to bake and eat them whilst still warm if possible.

I used to put cucumber and onion into vinegar to soak for a few hours and then make a cheese sandwich with on/cu as a topping.

That was a very regular custom in our house, Compo. Must have been a local Arnold thing! :)

I really DON'T believe in throwing food away. I make use of everything wherever possible. Any "Waste" is put into compost to feed the ground to grow more food.

Onion and cucumber in a bowl of brown vinegar (with a dash of sugar?) was also a regular on our table on a Sunday night...cold meat, salad, celery sticks etc.

My folks were Sneinton, Lacemarket and West Bridgeford background with Sheffield imports so Arnold can't claim the rights on this one. Parents continued the tradition at RoT and Aunts and Uncles likewise in Bilborough and Beeston.

Also fruit for desert, tinned pears, peaches etc with bread and butter. Saw a bumped post recently re bread and butter with desserts and it brought back the memories!

Onion and cucumber in a bowl of brown vinegar (with a dash of sugar?) was also a regular on our table on a Sunday night...cold meat, salad, celery sticks etc.

My folks were Sneinton, Lacemarket and West Bridgeford background with Sheffield imports so Arnold can't claim the rights on this one. Parents continued the tradition at RoT and Aunts and Uncles likewise in Bilborough and Beeston.

Just meant in fun, not a serious point. I'm certain Arnold has other things to commend it.

It was said in fun as well.

Arnold had the ACHS........the greatest seat of learning that the United Kingdom has ever known and I had the privilege to enjoy as one of the first pupils through it's portals. :rotfl:

:) Cucumber and onion, soaked in vinegar, salt and pepper, was definately not just an Arnold delicacy - as Trevor has shown. :biggrin:

My grandma who lived (in a double :biggrin:) on Aspley Lane, must have qualified for making the best dish of cucumber and onion ever.

She'd make the concoction after Sunday dinner, then place the dish in her vast walk-in pantry, ready for afternoon tea. I recall popping in at the pantry door just to catch the smell of the simple concoction.

I'm telling you, its fragrance was such a beautiful experience that it's stayed with me up until today. :biggrin: