What was in YOUR sandwich?

And.......our cucumbers were the best!..............We grew our own at Radcliffe, a well as a lot more fruit and vegies.

It was sold at Grandmas house in Holme Road, West Bridgeford ( she never lost the sales fever from her days on the barrows at the Old Vic and Sneinton.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can understand anyone who has never had a life threatening illness not wanting to spend money experimenting on what may or may not be a waste of money, but there are some of us out there who are liv

My Cholesterol is within safe limits without statins ! 

For those of you who don't like the taste of Benecol, it is a matter of personal taste because I do like it, otherwise I would not buy it. For instance, as for expense, compared to a bottle of wine or

I still make the cumber/onion/vinegar/sugar mix for my salad days. SWMBO hates it but she is from Bolton so you can't expect any better, can you :)

I love potted beef but can't get it where I live. I have to make do with very expensive Shippam's beef spread :(

i think any were in nottingham used cucumber and onions in vinigar in the sixties used to play or surport verious darts teams around nottingham and more often than not we would get some in a dish along with the sandwiches in the half break.

as for tinned fruit and bread and butter another sunday tea time nottingham thing made it feel that you were more full than just tinned fruit and if you were lucky a bit of cream or evap milk tinned of course. love it or hate it it was ussually what you got for sunday tea if you were posh you got real cream from the milk man

Cucumber and onions in vinegar was a favorite of my mum's too - and she grew up in Eastwood. Best if you let the cucumber and onion (with a little pepper) soak in the vinegar overnight! I love 'em on a (tinned) salmon sandwich.

Malt vinegar is hard to get over here, and none of the pickle type things works properly (to my taste) with white vinegar!

Yep, cumber & onions at ours, every Saturday evening tea, with Tinned Pink Salmon (Red at Christmas) & salad...................salad at our house consisted of flat lettuce (usually limp, even when fresh!!) tomatoes, pickled beetroot, radishes & celery, not very adventurous but all home grown, except the celery & tinned salmon....................

We would have sliced hard boiled egg with our salad too - and sometimes watercress.

We would have sliced hard boiled egg with our salad too - and sometimes watercress.

you knew how to live it up at your house!!................... :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

I remember buying me mum an egg slicer, probably for her birthday - it was a plastic base with slots in it, then a metal frame with wires to slice the egg - sortof like one of those cheese slicer things, but with a lot of wires!

She ALWAYS used it! Worked like magic, and it would not surprise me if one of my sister's still uses it! Must be over 50 years old now!

You had 'Marj' ? We only 'ad grease from t' axle of t' old s**t cart, full o' flavour it were............................

You were lucky! We'd ave been glad of a lick of the axle! And you try and tell folk these days and they won't believe you :(

You were lucky. Our dad ate our legs for Christmas dinner one year - we couldn't walk anywhere.

• Upvote 1