What was in YOUR sandwich?

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can understand anyone who has never had a life threatening illness not wanting to spend money experimenting on what may or may not be a waste of money, but there are some of us out there who are liv

My Cholesterol is within safe limits without statins ! 

For those of you who don't like the taste of Benecol, it is a matter of personal taste because I do like it, otherwise I would not buy it. For instance, as for expense, compared to a bottle of wine or

Tin of pink salmon, take bones out. Plenty of pepper and vinegar, mash together with some boiled potatoes until you have a pink goo. Two slices of buttered bread, spread pink goo on them and eat.

• Like 1

Portuguese Sardines 3oz flat can 1/3 eaten in Radford,

Canadian Pink Salmon 3oz can,,2/3 eaten in Bridgford

Japanese 'Chatka Crab,,(only in 7oz cans) 6/6 eaten in Bulwell''

All prices subject to alteration circa 1960...........available in all Marsdens stores,,Denman st, Radford,,Boundary rd,,West Bridgford,,Market Place,,Bulwell,,

• Like 1

Mentioning ''Chatka Crab'' got me remembering,,,it was the most expensive single item in the shop at 6/6,, most Marsdens stocked it,, but only sold 1 or 2 cans per week,, it was never put on the shelves but was kept in the safe........

13 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Mentioning ''Chatka Crab'' got me remembering,,,it was the most expensive single item in the shop at 6/6,, most Marsdens stocked it,, but only sold 1 or 2 cans per week,, it was never put on the shelves but was kept in the safe........

A lot of money when the average wage would be about £9 to £12 per week, I know someone out there can be more specific.  I have never heard of Chatka crab was it available everywhere.

It was a lot of money in 1960 Gem............Chatka Crab was the best they reckon,,,........think you can still get it,,?.........back in the day it was delivered to Marsdens shops with the normal goods,,but kept in the drivers cab,,,

15 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

When i worked at Boots..a bloke showed me an old payslip from 1969...£9.00 a week!

If memory serves me right i hit £10 per week about 1963 as relief manager for Marsdens,,,remember me Dad being a bit Peeved,that i ponced'' about saying ''good morning madam'' for the same money he was on doing 'Physical work'.........

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

I think Mess said a while back Boots were poor to pay..Players were much better..but in saying that Ben..i learnt so much at Boots..i'll give them that..i was given skills that i use to this day.

Irony there. Lot of my aunts and uncles worked in Boots, Raleigh and Players. Players by far the better payers. Give the world health problems, pay good money: try to improve the world's health, pay peanuts. Raleigh were somewhere in between.

5 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Just checked Amazon. 185 gram tin - £48.65.

Blimey!

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

At the tender age of 19 i worked down Gedling pit, for about 2years before becoming a steeplejack. Anyway, my gran used to make my snap and one day asked me what I would like. I did have a thing about 'Robertson's black currant jam, you know what's coming don't you!, After 18 months of afore mentioned snap i happened to mention to gran that I would like something different. Her reply "you said that you liked black currant jam" . Ok gran I'll mek me own snap from now!!

• Like 1

My brother always had cheddar , Mum one morning bought a pound of cheddar and dad wanted to make a sandwich and couldn't find it. My brother had eaten the lot.

Most anything from cheese to crisps, my favourite was corned beef crispy cobs.

When I lived in Oz, I found a canned ham which was the best canned ham I ever tasted, I don't know what they put in the ham when it was canned, but it sure made smells far worse than baked beans, my work mates had many expletive names they used to shout at me.

We had rail mounted battery powered personnel carriers, carried seven men including the driver in the forward mode with seven men in the rear compartment. We were coming out at the end of the shift when I felt the urge to let rip, silent one mind. Within seconds, the driver dumped the brakes and they all piled out of the front section gasping and wretching. That picture is till fresh in my memory after over 30 years.

I loved that ham....LOL

• Like 1

Oooooo corn dog & Branston pickle :Friends:    

I did check my Heinz salad cream after your reply Bew (note I did not quote :biggrin: see it works?) not sure how old it is, but mine says "celebrate 2018" on the main label :Shock:

• Like 1

There was a little cob shop in Weekday Cross that made the best crispy cobs in the entire universe. Ham or corned beef, sometimes roast pork, I can still remember the taste. Greggs cobs or subs or whatever  silly name they have now are just a poor stodgy imitation.

When we lived in grans cafe on s st Ann's Well rd, John Bamford (the funeral director) always used to say that grans 'ham cobs were the best, he used to come in most days and have two with mustard @ 1and 6 a piece. He always ended up with most of the crumbs down his whistle and in his tash. I never liked the crusty cobs, always ended up with a cut gum.

No, I think they were on High Pavement opposite St Marys church, now called the Hungry Pumpkin. This was a tiny little shop adjacent to the pub opposite the Cross Keys (can't remember what it was called) Weekday Cross pub?

A lady of err, mature years ran it and I don't think I ever knew her name

1 hour ago, Brew said:

This was a tiny little shop adjacent to the pub opposite the Cross Keys (can't remember what it was called) Weekday Cross pub?

The pub opposite the Cross Keys was The Windmill.

• Like 1

Mrs Ranby's Cafe was opposite St Mary's Church, Mrs Ranby was my first employer's wife.