What was in YOUR sandwich?

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can understand anyone who has never had a life threatening illness not wanting to spend money experimenting on what may or may not be a waste of money, but there are some of us out there who are liv

My Cholesterol is within safe limits without statins ! 

For those of you who don't like the taste of Benecol, it is a matter of personal taste because I do like it, otherwise I would not buy it. For instance, as for expense, compared to a bottle of wine or

It would have been round the corner on Pilcher Gate. Cor me brain hurts remembering that far back...   :faint:

The window with the fluorescent light is it!   Amazing... I'm now back in 1963 tasting those cobs

1963, a time before Sandwich shops. The first Sandwich shop I came across was on Bridlesmith Gate around 1967/8 and I remember thinking that it was a good idea but would never catch on because folk just couldn't afford to pay that much just for a sandwich, let alone a shilling for just one apple!!

10 minutes ago, Commo said:

I remember thinking that it was a good idea but would never catch on because folk just couldn't afford to pay that much just for a sandwich, let alone a shilling for just one apple!!

You missed a business trick there. You could've been the person who started Subway.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

IIRC Marlon of The Perishers in The Daily Mirror was a connoisseur of said sandwich.

My dad used to have the Daily Mirror delivered when I were a lad in the late 1950s and 60s. I used to enjoy reading the cartoon strips. Garth was brill and Andy Capp also amused me as did his long suffering wife Flo. Andy's son turned up in Buster comic in the early 60s.

When I had my hip replacement in March it was at a private hospital. I did expect a few extra creature comforts so when I was offered smoked salmon sandwiches I had the vision of thin cut triangular pieces of brown bread with the crusts removed, served on a bone china plate with a sprinkling of watercress. The smoked salmon was actually served in a one inch doorstep of soggy white bread which took some getting through. NHS for me if I ever have to go In again!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mess said:

Marlon of The Perishers

Well Done Mess! The Perishers were discontinued in 2006 B.H. Calcutta (Failed) was my favourite

Andy Capp was first published in 1957 and continues to this day. Reg Smythe its creator died in 1998.

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

When I had my hip replacement in March it was at a private hospital. I did expect a few extra creature comforts so when I was offered smoked salmon sandwiches I had the vision of thin cut triangular pieces of brown bread with the crusts removed, served on a bone china plate with a sprinkling of watercress. The smoked salmon was actually served in a one inch doorstep of soggy white bread which took some getting through. NHS for me if I ever have to go In again!

Sorry to rub it in Phil but I was in the ‘Spire’ hospital a few months ago for a spinal  operation. This is predominantly a private hospital but I was referred there as an nhs patient. My prawn sandwich, served soon after I woke up from the anaesthetic was beautiful and  served with a little salad. Absolutely top notch.

• Like 1

This was the Spire also. They discharged me too soon when the virus scare came on, resulting in me having a bad turn when I got home and they had, after a lot of pleading by my wife, to send a private ambulance and readmit me for another three days. I think my two Nigerian doctors were actually trained as witch doctors. I’d never go there again.

4 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Well Done Mess! The Perishers were discontinued in 2006 B.H. Calcutta (Failed) was my favourite

Andy Capp was first published in 1957 and continues to this day. Reg Smythe its creator died in 1998.

I have a tattoo of Andy Capp on my right arm and Florrie on my left arm. These were done about 1960, somewhere on Alfred Street central, I believe. Florrie , on the left was done with two needles stuck in a cork and black ink, ( sure it was Zebrite black lead). Often been asked, do I regret it? The straight answer is NO, I knew what I were doing and never think about it at all now.

5 hours ago, philmayfield said:

This was the Spire also. They discharged me too soon when the virus scare came on, resulting in me having a bad turn when I got home and they had, after a lot of pleading by my wife, to send a private ambulance and readmit me for another three days. I think my two Nigerian doctors were actually trained as witch doctors. I’d never go there again.

Seems odd that we had such contrasting experiences at the same place. I cannot fault any aspect of my treatment or short stay there. I’m back there again soon. 

I went there to get signed off by my surgeon a couple of weeks ago. Tony Westbrook was first class but I wasn't generally impressed with the place. I only chose it because it was new. I had hoped for a view of the airfield where I used to fly but my view was of the car park!

As kids, when things were a bit short, we have made do with bread and lard with a light sprinkle of salt. I mean proper lard and not the rock hard bricks that you get nowadays. Original lard was more creamy texture with a bit of jelly on the bottom. Quite nice really.