What was in YOUR sandwich?

Denshaw suggested this thread.

I ate pretty boringly as a kid, so my sandwiches were either jam, banana or golden syrup. Dad was more adventurous, he loved marmalade on one slice and peanut butter on the other, and slap em together. A friend had condensed milk in hers.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can understand anyone who has never had a life threatening illness not wanting to spend money experimenting on what may or may not be a waste of money, but there are some of us out there who are liv

My Cholesterol is within safe limits without statins ! 

For those of you who don't like the taste of Benecol, it is a matter of personal taste because I do like it, otherwise I would not buy it. For instance, as for expense, compared to a bottle of wine or

I mentioned (At the age of 17) to my mum that I liked Piccalilli and hadn't had any for years, every day after that for about 6 months I got Cheese and piccalilli sandwiches for my 'pack out'!! Until I plucked up courage to tell her I'd had enough, then it was Marmite , so much so that I got nicknamed "Marmite" for a while !!!

As a kid it was Ham off the bone cobs for Saturday tea, followed by a "Sally Lunn".(Any body remember them ??)

Sandwich spread!

I also loved crisp sandwiches - and if we had leftover "new" potatoes, I would have bread, lots of butter, sliced cold potatoes and lots of salt! If we had any (a rare treat), salad cream on top too! YUMMY!

Jelly......straight out of the packet......it was square so it was the right shape.....plus we'de heard about peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on the tv ( americans )....so jelly it was... ( dint know back then that their jelly was 'JAM' )

Whilst out in Ibiza a regular alternative to their idea of a sandwich (Any combination of Ham and Cheese!!) was to get a large crusty cob and stick a meat pie in the middle !!

A Sally Lunn was indeed a type of large currant bun sprinkled with sugar, the texture was a bit more 'doughnutty' (if there is such a word), they were about 8 inches across, it was scored into 6 or 8 pieces, we cut it in half and spread butter in it.

Oh, now I feel really hungry.

Yes, potted meat sandwiches - or polony! That sort of peppery potted meat in a red skin. I liked that.

Now, when nobody`s looking I like fish finger sandwiches - with the fish fingers hot so they melt the butter.

Oh, and hot chip sandwiches melting the butter so it runs down your chin.

Oh, my mouth`s watering something cruel!

Loved bread & dripping too - especially if it included some of the brown, salty, jelly stuff that was at the bottom of the pot! A couple of slices and a glass of milk when I came home from an evening in the pub - PERFECT!

Haven't tried it in years - maybe I'll look next week!

A lady I work with eats Shredded Wheat with milk and salt!

My dad got the peanut butter in the 50's from my uncle who worked at Heathrow. Somehow he got it in huge catering tins, most likely destined for the USAF bases.

Denshaw, when I was a teen, the lads would say 'how's your mother off for dripping' then laugh like a drain. I had no idea, and still don't, what was so bloody funny!

There was a character in the old 'Daily Mirror' cartoon strip "The Perishers" called "Marlon" who used to eat , "The dreaded inch thick Tomato Ketchup sandwich" , I tried it and I liked it, haven't had one for a few years but they're not bad !!

My mum told me about "Weetabix" with butter and jam on them

"The dreaded inch thick Tomato Ketchup sandwich"

And the other kids would run because they got splattered when he bit into it! Brilliant! englandflag.gif

I liked Piccalilli and hadn't had any for years

We had some relative that used to deliver for Pandora Pickles so we had boxes full of that & tinned tarantella tomatoes dumped in the back alley.

Strange no orange sandwiches mentioned ?

Haslett had it last week from Sainsburys @ Castle marina with lurpak & HP sauce.

Not sure what it did but everyday my mar gave me & my brother a spoon full of some malt extract , not even sure now if i liked it or not ?

I loved that malt, I got a teaspoon of cod liver oil, a teaspoon of rose hip syrup and a tablespoon of the malt everyday as a kid. And of course, the welfare clinic orange juice, that I've never found equaled anywhere since.

Wow, I forgot about the Malt and the orange we were given as a food supplement.

"Radio Malt" as I remember was the name of it, sweet thick treacle like constituency,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_malt

and that Orange concentrate too.

Neither suitable for sandwiches tho!

Haslet not had it for years. What exactle was it?

A bit like sliced cold faggots?