What was in YOUR sandwich?

Haslet not had it for years. What exactle was it?

A bit like sliced cold faggots?

Odd how haslet always turns up in large quantities on the cheap shelf in Sainsburies, I'll have to grit my teeth and try some, I haven't eaten it for 40 years at least.

I remember the malt and the orange juice, the malt was in a big tin with a lid, I reckon there's still some old tins kicking about in the old mans garage, full of nails and screws. The orange juice came in a typical medicine type flat glass bottle, it clearly contained dangerous levels of sugar, no wonder the school dentist was so busy.

The orange juice delivered in milk bottles by the co-op dairy was much more palatable, we'd get a special treat at school at Xmas, orange juice instead of frozen, fatty milk.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can understand anyone who has never had a life threatening illness not wanting to spend money experimenting on what may or may not be a waste of money, but there are some of us out there who are liv

My Cholesterol is within safe limits without statins ! 

For those of you who don't like the taste of Benecol, it is a matter of personal taste because I do like it, otherwise I would not buy it. For instance, as for expense, compared to a bottle of wine or

pie and chips peas cob only the cob was a small batch loaf hollowed out bought from a shop near bairnswear and the chippy across the road only on pay day 1969-1970 [nottingham road basford.

Oh, and hot chip sandwiches melting the butter so it runs down your chin.

All chip butties pale into insignificance compared to those served up in Grindleford Station Cafe, Derbyshire:

07to08187.jpg

Firbeck Junior on the right with his Nottingham Uni pals when I took them up there for a treat a couple of years ago.

07to08191.jpg

If you've never been there, you're missing out on life, mobile phones are banned as well!!!

Now there's a silly thing, only a few years between us and I didn't have any of either the Malt or Orange juice, weird or what?

Now there's a silly thing, only a few years between us and I didn't have any of either the Malt or Orange juice, weird or what?

Perhaps they thought you didn't need it old pal!!! Seriously it was a 50's thing, I still have my ration book, frightening to look at it.

Odd how haslet always turns up in large quantities on the cheap shelf in Sainsbury's

Cheap shelf ... :angry2: its actually sliced @ the deli counter !! And I'm sure it was one sixty odd for four slices !! I've made up for my poverty as a kid I'm now allowed to put butter on both sides of my bread.

Just spoke to my mar says it was malt & cod liver oil finished by saying "done you two no harm" he must have had more than me being built like a brick sh1t-house , me weighing in just under eleven stone.

I still have my ration book too! I think Beefy is too young to have caught the tail-end effects of the war. My sister is only three years younger than me, and she has no memory of this stuff.

I always thought the orange juice that the milkman delivered was kindof watery! Hated cod-liver oil (though my doc says it is good for me - still hate it), and I only have a very vague memory of the malt stuff!

I used to love a bit of Haslett too. I never liked Corned beef sandwiches but love it in a stew or hash.

I wasn't born till '61 so it was all a memory by then, daft as it sounds, I was one of "Maggie Thatcher Milk Snatchers" first victims , when they fazed out milk for Juniors.

I still have my mums ration books though, I'm going to donate them to the Davidstowe Moor Museum along with a couple of other bits.

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot Bread Butter and Sugar sandwiches.

We also had bread with hot milk and sugar on!

!englandflag! Bread, in hot milk + sugar.......breakfast most mornings, before school in the 50's, me mam called it 'pobs'..........not had them for years (50+) but thinks I'll try it this weekend..............memories are made of this!! !rotfl!

I had a friend (Still have actually) who used to have Polo mints on toast , and no , she wasn't pregnant!!!

And if you read this Mrs Chantry- Wood (I know you are a member still !!!) feel free to pop in and confirm it for me.....Ta

"Confessions of 'The University of Wales' holiday, Bangor, North Wales, circa 1980"

• 1 month later...

I once went to a gymkana with my friend lesley and a few others . Lunch time came and one of the girls parents came in their car taking out a big posh wicker picnic hamper souted out across the field so everyone in earshot could hear come on girls orange juice and salmon sandwiches for you all having tied up the ponies off we went to enjoy this posh feast only to find when we got there salmon paste sandwiches and dilute orange juice something most of us had regularly.Needless to say we all still ate them as we were all staving as we had all been out realy early to get the ponies ready and ride to the gymkana Episton I think no horse boxes for us as we were all from working class families so could only go to the ones near to home and had to work hard on paper rounds baby sitting excetra to enter the ponies in the classes we wanted to . And for there keep. I used to use a friends spear pony for the day.Lesley and I still see each other regularly and often have a laugh about this.

My favorate sandwich when I was young was bannana and jam together or bread and dripping or lard.

Your right about chip butties though they have to be the best ever but not the ones from gringleford station cafe was there the other week with clasic bike lads they only use frozen chips nothing like fresh cut home cooked ones i still use lard to cook them in just had some grrreat.

babs

Another great place and great value for money too is the boat house cafe at beeston mariner you can get a meal from £2 down there been today had a ham salad with new potatoes piggy had sausage 2 eggs and a large portion of chips two cups of coffee £5..50p for both of us different menu every day choose from about 6 different things every day including veggie meals out side seating as well if its a nice day but open 365 days bit more expensive at the weekend as different menues opend from about 8.30 am to 4.30pm daily and from now till about september 5.30pm till 8.30. for those of you who like a pint with your meal riverside bar next to it. so go and try it for yourselfs a very friendly place.

I get Haslet up here at Tesco in Wick, I usually get 4 slices when I visit, I look at it and think "My God, this is not good for your Cholesterol" but what the heck, its nice in a fresh cob with broon sauce!!! What I can never see these days is Polony, my Mum used to put it on my sarnies for work when I was a teenager, something else that clogs up the arteries!!!

!hungr!

Wow, I forgot about the Malt and the orange we were given as a food supplement.

"Radio Malt" as I remember was the name of it, sweet thick treacle like constituency,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_malt

and that Orange concentrate too.

Neither suitable for sandwiches tho!

Haslet not had it for years. What exactle was it?

A bit like sliced cold faggots?

no Mick faggots have to be hot straight from the butcher with lashings of gravy delish ummm . But this is another thing you dont see any more. thinkIi might just go to Netherfield thread and tell you the story of this.

Haslet its pressed meat dont know what kind tho with spices with it, its quite tasty iremember polony it used to be in some sort of orange plastic cover quite nice but not as good as potted meat !hungr!

Just bought some of "Mr Brains" faggots from Morrisons, £1.00 for four !!...........bravo.gif

we used to take toast to school for the morning break, (obviously it was cold by the time the break came round) but ever notice how butter on toast always melted through the toast but stork never did?

Another one of life's little mysteries

Rog

re; faggots. My mother in law recently turned 90, and although she still cooks her own dinners each day, decided to try the Wiltshire Farm dinners that are delivered to your door, just to see if they were worth getting. Her first dinner was faggots, she said she was really looking forward to it as she hadn't had faggots in years. She was so disappointed, the 2 tiny faggots on the plate were not as she remembered the big thick ones of long ago. She was hoping the rest of the dinners she chose were going to be better. She lives on the south coast so maybe they don't have faggots in the supermarkets down there. Pork pies are hard to get, never mind faggots.

• 2 years later...