What was in YOUR sandwich?

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can understand anyone who has never had a life threatening illness not wanting to spend money experimenting on what may or may not be a waste of money, but there are some of us out there who are liv

My Cholesterol is within safe limits without statins ! 

For those of you who don't like the taste of Benecol, it is a matter of personal taste because I do like it, otherwise I would not buy it. For instance, as for expense, compared to a bottle of wine or

Don't suppose they're on their own Phil. You've only got to look in such as Aldi and Lidl and see some of the products are almost identical to branded  names. (Just as good though).

That's very true. There are a number of English blue cheeses that are very similar to Stilton but the name is very carefully protected and can only be made in Notts, Derby or Leics and even then you have to be a member of the consortium which consists of about six cheesemakers. Aldi and Lidl products are made in the same factories as the well known brands. Many years ago, when I was in the accountancy profession, we had a knitwear client who made garments for all the big names. Exactly the same jumpers were sold in Austin Reed and BHS, the only difference being the label - and the price!

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong but Cornwall have the same protection now over it's pasties. If not made in Cornwall they're only pasties. As with Bakewell puddings too ! ( how did we get into this Phil?).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

There are a number of English blue cheeses that are very similar to Stilton but the name is very carefully protected and can only be made in Notts, Derby or Leics

Is it true that if they made the cheese in the village of Stilton it cannot be marketed as Stilton cheese? If so that is stupid

The Bell at Stilton in Cambridgeshire is where the cheese was first sold and after which it took its name. The group of manufacturers have registered the name and the manufacturing region. Someone in Stilton recently made the cheese and tried to sell it it under the Stilton name but were legally challenged and lost the case. It’s all a bit silly really as one of the principal Stilton dairies, Colston Basset, also make Shropshire Blue under that name with no problems.

13 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but Cornwall have the same protection now over it's pasties. If not made in Cornwall they're only pasties. As with Bakewell puddings too ! ( how did we get into this Phil?).

BK you reminded me of a photo my dad took of us in Cornwall sitting on a fence eating Cornish Pasties. My dad put the photo in an album with a caption " taties  all hot"

• Like 1

Used to love Colwick cheese.......was it made in Colwick?....suppose it must have been,,,and why was it only sold in Greengrocers?

Edit.........oh yes and Wet fish shops...............

Cropwell Bishop Stilton is very similar in taste and texture to nearby Colston Basset. Long Clawson is less creamy and slightly bitter. Even Stilton varies from dairy to dairy. Colwick cheese was originally made in Colwick but latterly was made by Richmond Dairies on Ransom Rd. opposite St. Jude's Church.

• Like 1

Fussells condensed milk sandwich..............same as Nestles,,,however circa 1960   ,,,Fussells 1/-..........Nestles 1/8.............

Yes Phil,,,lovely.................

edit........bit like Pobs.......but not runny...........

I had a mate when at SPD who simply loved fruit cake sandwiches.

When going in Bobbers mill cafe, he would order fried egg sarnie with a splash of tomato. He called it a........

"Tampax sandwich", I kid you not.

14 hours ago, Beekay said:

Bakewell puddings

To the uninitiated what is the difference between a Bakewell Tart and Bakewell Pudding?

My only real memories of Bakewell are climbing on Birchen Edge or Main Wall at Horseshoe Quarry and a few (many) beers in one of the  pubs afterwards