Simple Childhood Pleasures

Re The Castle,

This is a statement made on Jan 9th by the "Portfolio holder for Culture and Leisure at the City Council"

He said: "We have already seen the development of an emerging new plan and proposals for operating the Castle.

Whilst I cannot give you a definite date today, I can assure you that work is taking place at pace and I will be in a position to make further public announcements, including on when the Castle will reopen its doors, later this month."

So to me that reads, later this month they will make an announcement about the date the Castle will re open.

And also note,

"Councillor Mellen said: "This is completely different to Robin Hood Energy, we didn't own the independent charitable trust. We could not control it, we were only given one seat on that board and therefore we could not control its decisions. It is not an example of a Labour council throwing away money, it is rather an example of a Labour council ambitious for this city, bidding for money to make sure that our castle is up to date."

Gem, there is a big Victorian Funeral /hearse /undertakers display in the York Castle museum but I've not heard of one in Nottingham

Rog

Just found this in my pictures Gem, Victorian funeral display at York Castle museum, if only the powers that be had the foresight to create something like this and other displays at Nottingham "castle"

York-day-1.jpg

Rog

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, denshaw said:

The haunted museum is now on Derby Road, next door to the hand and heart.

That tallies with their website which lists it as 75-77 Derby Road, which is the former Windblowers shop. Streetview haven't been past there since it changed hands.   

https://goo.gl/maps/51PKD9voDipmhrTA7

• Like 1

Thank you ....it's true that if you can't find what you are looking for someone on nostalgia can. I will definitely look at dates for the workhouse, i was watching a programme that covered it's past and it was very interesting. It's a shame about the castle it's been many years since my last visit where i had my photo taken with Robin Hood. Is there something at Edwinstowe that is worth a visit ?. The information about the museum at York was appreciated, my usual visits to York are shopping orientated.

Gem

• Like 1

Last time I went to the Edwinstowe visitors’ centre there was a souvenir shop with lots of Robin Hood tat. He probably never existed anyway! You can take a stroll through the woods to see the Major Oak and have a go at archery. The Workhouse at Southwell was rather uninteresting the last time I visited but that was some years ago and I understand there have been improvements to jazz it up a bit. Welcome back to Nottinghamshire!

@Gem  we enjoyed going round the ‘Galleries of Justice actually in Nottingham (not called that now.?). If you like the macabre, this will suit you !

• Like 1

If you’re visiting the Workhouse then nearby Southwell is worth a visit. Quite a vibrant place with plenty of pubs and eateries. The Minster is the big attraction but I must confess I’ve only been in there once in the 60 years I’ve lived in the area! I’ve been in all the pubs though - all of them in one night once.

• Like 1

Southwell is a great place to visit, beautiful old properties and go to the Workhouse there, really interesting. The cafe is good too, good old National Trust cakes.

On 3/6/2010 at 11:07 AM, .... said:

I loved those Shoot football tables too.

Amongst other things I used to collect Typhoo International Football Stars which you needed to cut out from the back of the packet. It was a slow laborious matter collecting them and a matter of some concern if the packet of tea for that week featured a player that you already had in your collection!

http://cards.littleoak.com.au/196768_typhoo_international_football_stars/03_jim_baxter.JPG

http://cards.littleoak.com.au/196768_typhoo_international_football_stars/196768_typhoo.htm

I still have Terry Hennessey and did have Forest Team Spurs team and Jim Baxter like that and was gutted he wasn't wearing the Forest kit. I couldn't wait for the tea caddy to be empty. Then we went back to Indian Prince tea (2/-)which was more expensive but there were some luxuries in life me Dad liked

• Like 1

I remember Terry Hennessy coming to see me when he worked as a rep for Alida Packaging. Open necked shirt, hairy chest and a big gold medallion. Hardly representative material! I believe he emigrated to Australia. That was in the days when footballers had to earn a living after they had retired from the game.

• Like 2