Simple Childhood Pleasures

I had many, but will kick off with getting a new colouring book, or drawing book, and a new box of wax crayons. The latter all had pointed ends before they were rubbed flat with crayoning. Oh the joy of not knowing where to start in the book, so spoiled for choice was I.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Doing things we weren't supposed to, like climbing up the brick yard at Mapperley, or scumping up the allotments at Hungerhill Gardens.

• Like 1

Getting a new book for birthday or Christmas, usually a 'classic' and the anticipation of reading it. Also the annuals at Christmas, loved 'em. They'd last me till the next year's came out, re-reading them over and over.

• Like 1

Used to love the annual free gift from SHOOT football magazine "Shoot League Ladders" This consisted of a thin card sheet on which were printed blank league tables for each division of The Football League, with a slit in the card alongside each position on the tables. Also given away were T-shaped "tabs" for each club in the league (printed in the appropriate team colours) which could be fitted into the slits to indicate where each team currently stood in the league table. As the season progressed and teams moved up and down the table, their tabs could be moved to new slits accordingly.

Spent hours updating it all season , anyone else that sad or just me?

Bk7YSIBGkKGrHqMOKiUEtlzZpQCBLZh2obV.jpg

• Like 1

Typical , the only team I can clearly see on that is Notts County in 20th place in the old first division .

Getting a new book for birthday or Christmas, usually a 'classic' and the anticipation of reading it. Also the annuals at Christmas, loved 'em. They'd last me till the next year's came out, re-reading them over and over.

Oh yes, I had one of the half crown classics from Woollies every year until I ended up with a shelf full.

Treasure Island, Little Women, What Katy Did, Heidi.

Great! And the Annuals! The comics writ large.

And I remeber the first time I was taken to the Library. Was it down Kirkwhite Street somewhere? I couldn`t believe that they`d let me borrow any of their lovely books. Heaven.

• Like 1

I loved those Shoot football tables too.

Amongst other things I used to collect Typhoo International Football Stars which you needed to cut out from the back of the packet. It was a slow laborious matter collecting them and a matter of some concern if the packet of tea for that week featured a player that you already had in your collection!

03_jim_baxter.JPG

http://cards.littleoak.com.au/196768_typhoo_international_football_stars/196768_typhoo.htm

• Like 2

O.K. another one to bring a tear to my eye , and a lump to my throat!!

I suppose my simple pleasure would be the once in a blue moon that my dad wasn't up the allotment on a Saturday and took me fishing!!

A walk down to Netherfield and Colwick station, on the train to Radcliffe on Trent then the long, long walk down Shelford Lane to a track that took us down to the river near the weir. A days fishing and wild life watching (Plus the occasional bonus of finding some "Blue Buttons" in the woods on the way home. These would be cooked up and had for our tea with some toast , laverly !!!!

As a 4/5 year old it was a long hike but worth it!!

• Like 1

Eileen, the Library is still there its on Wilford Crescent.

Oh wow! I`m so pleased it wasn`t demolished like so many other childhood places of mine.

Thanks for telling me.

Catching butterflies in a fishing net, catching tadpoles and sticklebacks and bringing them home in a jam jar, making daisy chains before the mower on the field got them, and on frosty mornings, making a loop out of a privet twig, and catching as many spider webs as you could in the hedges. The frost [or sometimes dew] showed up the webs.

• 9 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Making it through the day without getting hit with a cane, shoe, coal shovel or any other object my mother could get her hands on

Rog

• Like 1

Buying a copy of the beano or dandy and a packet of Cadbury's white chocolate buttons , I loved the antics of the bash street kids , Dennis the menace, and desperate Dan  !

• Like 1
1 hour ago, David sheridan said:

Buying a copy of the beano or dandy

Yes! delivered them all on my paper round in the 60s. Buster, Hotspur, Eagle, Rover, all the SuperHero comics, Victor, Beezer, Valiant, Topper, and some for the girls. Valentine, Judy, Bunty are names that come to mind. When I met someone on the street, I knew their faces from collecting the paper money on a Saturday and what papers and comics they had but never knew their names. My all-time favourite was Mad Magazine.

• Like 2

My mum setting me up with a little ‘kitchen’ in the garden ..  I used to mix soil and water to make little cakes which I put on a cake rack to dry in the sun.  I decorated them with tiny stones and flower heads

• Like 1

I think my earliest memory would be going to stay at my godmothers / aunt at Totley near Sheffield. Think I was pretty homesick when it was time to go to bed so she put me some china animals on the shelf to keep me safe and watch over me and left the little light on for me, bless her. She later moved to Mumby and Sutton on Sea in Lincs and I spent a lot of time with her there too. 
Didn’t much like her hubby though, very odd and as I grew older he was a bit of a letch and my cousin agreed with me about that too. Godmother passed away a couple of months before him and they are both buried in Sutton Church graveyard, he on top of her. We all reckoned that she had a few months of peace.

Lots of other very happy memories though too many to list here.

• Like 2

Hi again...i only seem to pop up when I want something. My friend and myself are visiting Nottingham when weather improves and would like advice on museums to visit, saw one on TV that had victorian undertakers and hearses. Being odd that's the type of places we are looking to visit I'm looking forward to re-visiting the castle any ideas would be appreciated.

Gem.

Is the workhouse still open to visit.

You will be disappointed as regards the castle. It is closed for the foreseeable future as the company running it went bust. As for the workhouse it appears to be currently closed and reopening towards the end of February, the 19th I think. Look on their web page for details. I don’t know where the museum with hearses is. There is the industrial museum on Wollaton park but that is only sometimes open at weekends as far as I know. The framework knitters museum at Ruddington is worth visiting I’m told although I’ve never been. There is the Civil War museum at Newark. I have been there and I t was expensive and I didn’t rate it much. I heard it had been improved. It needed to be. A stroll around the lace market and St Mary’s is worth the effort.