Well done Notts

Good to see another fine win and three goals for The Magpies away from home this past Saturday against Accrington. It's perhaps no coincidence that now all the nonsense and hype has blown out of the city that their fortunes on the pitch seem to be steadying and improving under the new manager, Cotterill.

There's a huge amount of work to so off the pitch and doubtless there will be some fairly savage cuts along the way but if I were a contemporary club at the top of League Two I'd be viewing Notts' as ominous rivals for an automatic promotion spot. A big factor is that they seem to have plenty of goals in the side.

Whatever the outcome, what a strange season this will have been for Notts County!

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Early days and Notts have won 3 out of 4 games, putting them in third place, keep it up lads.

Excellent win in the dying seconds today, arguably against the run of play against Grimsby.

I bet Radfordred won't agree. The sad thing is, without the hype, would they be where they are now, maybe so, but I doubt it.

Well not being a supporter of either local club, I can afford to be magnanimous about the teams on either side of the Trent. :)

They probably wouldn't be in the league position they are now; that's a fair comment.

There's absolutely no chance Notts would be where we are now without all the messing around that we have suffered (I say we , as I was a shareholder , till Munto fraudnance came on the scene!!)

Here's the highlights from Saturday , watch out for Notts' third goal , fantastic!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_3/8554583.stm

Anyone see the "Inside Out" Show last night? A few details revealed, as I see it either A total rip off from Munto (but what could they get in long run?) A daft idea by a load of super rich investors who changed their mind or Trembling very niave, (or living in fantasy land, "it'll be ok, something will work out, with Sven we'll get new sponsership") merely a bigger version of a firm in debt carrying on till ceasing trading? Touch wood this new bloke and manager seem to have the right idea

Thanks for telling me that Ashley, I recall the Inside Out team saying they were going to keep showing the clubs campaign throughout the season, they certainly made an outstanding contribution to the media, I'll get on to i Player and watch it.

You took a risk on backing Norwich last August, Red, they were struggling then. In fact my die hard Norwich fan pal up in Dereham was so taken with Nott's alleged fortunes at the time, that he was bemoaning the fact that Norwich would be replacing them in Div 2, until our local Colchester manager was knicked, though it doesn't seem to have affected them that much. It could be the first time that the various teams I have a kind of support for are all doing well, Notts, Forest, Norwich, Colchester, it's just Ipswich that are letting me down at the moment, how Roy Keane keeps his job is beyond me. When I first moved down here it coincided with Forests Championship Season and Ipswich's FA Cup win over Arsenal, I recall going to Portman Road for the first time and seeing Forest cruise to a win, Championship assured, Frank Clarke on as sub for Peter Withe and I believe the only league goal Frank ever scored. Then I went to the Charity Shield at Wembley and Forest stuffed them 5-0.

Always liked going to Ipswich to see them play Forest, County, EUFA Cup (Barcelona?) and the atmospheric matches against Norwich, my local pals were a mix of Ipswich and Norwich supporters, always good natured and a good atmosphere. We had a lot of fun in those days, I remember dragging everyone off to see Ipswich play Notts when they got into the First Division, we were in the laugh a minute Ipswich End, When Notts kicked off they passed the ball about without Ipswich touching it and Paul Hooks smashed it into the net right in front of us, stunned silence, until I cheered, then the Ipswich fans around me said, looks like we could be supporting Notts today, our lot look like they had too many beers last night, great days, I think Notts won 2-1, can't remember, apart from the fact that my neighbour didn't speak all the way home.

You were lucky there Pete , my one and only visit to Portman Road was a 6-0 thrashing in about 1982, and it rained !!!

I too was at Wembley to see Forest beat Ipswich in the Charity Sheild, that was the first time I heard the Tractor song , from where they get their new nickname of "The Tractor Boys"

I watched Inside Out, it had me more confused about the club than I was before. With attendances less than 10K where's the money going to come from to keep the club a viable proposition, even rich entreprenuers aren't bottomless pits.

1-0 up against Chesterfield in a proper 6 pointer , C'mon you pies!!!!!!!!

Final score 1-0 and next Monday it's Bournemouth in another 6 pointer (On Sky TV too!!) If we win that one we are up to 2nd !!!

Imagine this was last day of the season, one win or 2 draws out of the 3 in hand would be enough (assuming we match others result wise) I was rather worried re the build up of games, but the snow etc seems to have done us a favour? better to face these games "now" than than when we were in turmoil and not winning 4 on the trot

Final score 1-0 and next Monday it's Bournemouth in another 6 pointer (On Sky TV too!!)

I shall definately be round the in laws to watch that one with our Hungarian Spurs supporter, he prefers lower division matches, as he puts it in his fluctuating accent 'I loik to see thees proper teams with real fo##### English players'.

For those of you without access to Sky try Iraqisports TV on the internet, it's bound to be on, you just have to persevere with it, ignore the nasty messages until it gives up and decides to play.

Well what a bummer

Just to match (Nearly) the Panthers effort , (out of the jaws of victory we nearly snatched defeat)

Notts bossed the first 5 mins, Bournemouth were far the better side from 5- 20 minutes and deserved a goal for their efforts, Notts were then on the ascendancy and capitalized on this from a saved penalty taken by, and then the rebound scored by, Hughes in the 26th?? minute. They should have rammed home their advantage, and would have done so but for a shoddy bit of linesmanship in the 30th??? minute when Davies was denied a brilliant 2nd goal for off side . (I was nearer offside, and I'm 90 miles away !!!!!) all the replays tended to agree with me too !!!!!!!(for once )

The second half showed Notts carrying on as they had left off until Bournemouth scored against the run of play in the 54??? th minute , from a well taken free kick, the parity was only to be there for a couple of minutes as Hughes knocked in his second ( A well taken header that Rooney would have been happy with ( on his current form !!) on 56 ???mins.

It was looking good for Notts until Hughes got booked for a silly handball and was then substituted in injury time, with Notts soaking up a lot of pressure by now, but of course the inevitable happened , and we conceded the equalizer, with 30 seconds to go!!

As much as it hurts to say it, Bournemouth were deserved their point !!! Although where the ref got 4 minutes injury time from I don't know (Alex Fergusons' watch maybe ??)

I had reminded all and sundry before kick off (My mates really ) who were watching Liverpool on the other telly, that in 40 years of supporting Notts, I can only ever remember seeing them win one game ( that I wasn't actually at ) in all those years. And my mate (A Scouser ) went to the bookies and put a bet on Notts to draw 2-2 (When we were 1-0 up at half time ) and got odds of 9 - 1 on the draw!!!! lucky b45t4rd. Mind you, he did but me a pint for my "Tip"

Never mind, still lost less than any other team with goal difference best in the league AND now (same as Forest according to BBC TV local news monday!) in the 3rd automatic promotion place with games in hand

It was interesting to compare the style of play to the match televised earlier in the season. Then it was a passing game but last night it seemed to consist of lobbing the ball in the air all the time, it wasn't pretty stuff, but the pitch seemed to be so churned up by the rugby that when the ball was played along the ground it bounced all over the place.

Yes, why is it always 4 minutes of added time, perhaps the second half of all matches should be now 49 minutes!!

I've just got back from Crewe , 15 minutes late, on a 9 minute journey, courtesy of British Raill or whatever they call themselves these days!!, after watching a match that had it all. End to end footy, two sendings off (Although what Luke Rodgers got sent off for is beyond me , I'm sure the ref was influenced by the crowd.!!!) One of the best pieces of flowing football I've seen Notts produce for years, proper build up from right back , cross field diagonal ball to left wing , 35 yard run splitting the Crewe defence wide open, a beautiful pin point pass to a man on the edge of the 6 yard box (Rodgers) only to watch him scuff his shot into the keepers hands !!. To coin another phrase , " If it had've hit the back of the net it would have been a goal " ....LOL , and to cap it all we missed yet another penalty !!!!

A good 3 more points which I think we deserved, I'm looking forwards to The Football League Show tonight, to find out what all the fuss was about !!!

I forgot to mention two goals disallowed for off side !!

The TV footage showed that Rodgers didn't deserve to go really (Call me Cyclops if you like !!) It hasn't been split into separate games yet , I'll up load it when it happens, some time Monday usually

How could I forget that you only live up the road from Crewe, are you up for Shrewsbury and Port Vale as well.

I tried to stay up for the highlights but fell asleep and I haven't found a net link, yours would be appreciated.

Your description of play is an interesting comparison to the Bournemouth match at Meadow Lane, clearly the pitch there has been screwed up by the rugby, who's brilliant idea was it to share a football pitch with a rugby team and how long is the deal set to last.

As for offside goals, the one that Coventry were allowed against Leicester was beyond belief.