• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll give you a bit of good advice, if you want a great time,meet some fantastic people and be sure of a warm welcome,  come to a Nottstalgia meetup   Rog

It were Mark Twain what sed it. Ah see y'all tekkin 'is advice. Apart from the bombastic bit. 

Hear all, see all, say nowt, Eat all, drink all, pay nowt. It's a long time remember from January to December So hear all, see all, say nowt, Eat all, sup all, pay nowt And if ever thy doe

Learn to enunciate like Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa.........................a perfectly spoken gent!!

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mum and Dad taught me good manners- especially at the table!

Treat the fairer sex with respect.

Must say I have passed this onto my 3 children... and had so many positive comments regarding so.

Manners maketh the man !

That REALLY gets my goat seeing people shovelling food in by only holding a fork.

Or struggling to cut meat with the knife only held between one finger and the thumb. Philistines.

• 1 year later...

Hear all, see all, say nowt,
Eat all, drink all, pay nowt.
It's a long time remember
from January to December
So hear all, see all, say nowt,
Eat all, sup all, pay nowt
And if ever thy does owt fer nowt
Always do it fer th'sen.

:)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

DJ360 That brought back memories of listening to Five Penny Piece and the amazing voice of Lynda Meeks.

Sadly all members of the original group are now no longer with us but memories of their songs in the dialect of East Lancashire live on.

Glad to be of service Oz and Loppy.

You know how I love the history of this sort of stuff.  It came as a surprise to me that the song was recorded by Sandy Powell, comedian, in 1939 and was written by Noel Gay.  I'd never heard of Noel Gay but he was rsponsible for Run Rabbit Run, The Sun Has Got His Hat On and a number of other well known popular songs.  Wikipedia also taught me that Gay's son was a 'Talent Agent' called Richard Armitage who represented, among others, Rowan Atkinson, John Cleese, Russ Conway, Peter & Gordon, The Scaffold, Geoff Love, Paul Jones ( Manfred Mann) etc.

Oooo'd a thowt it?  :)

Col

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

I'd never heard of Noel Gay but he was rsponsible for Run Rabbit Run, The Sun Has Got His Hat On and a number of other well known popular songs.  

Col

The Sun Has Got His Hat On (Hip, hip, hooray!) was from the musical 'Me and My Girl' for which Noel Gay wrote the music and which also included Leaning on a Lamp-post and The Lambeth Walk.

• Like 1