That's why wigs were fashionable in the 16 and 17 hundreds, they shaved their heads to keep the lice at bay, left over of that are Judges and Barristers, who still wear those types of wigs...err head lice...

Well most of them are dick heads...

When we found that a child had 'visitors' we had to write to the parents of ALL the kids in the class saying that 'there could be an outbreak of headlice in the class' so that the lucky child wasn`t identified and embarrassed.

As most of the letters ended up thrown away on the way home - or languished in the bottom of a school bag - it was once again down to the vigilant parents to sort it out.

Although I had long hair I never actually got the little crawlers - they obviously didn`t fancy my scalp. :)

• Upvote 2

I've never had lice or nits. The mothers of the children who did get them used to say "They only like clean hair" My hair was always clean so I think they just said that to make their children feel better about it! Girls seemed to get them more than boys probably because girls had long hair and often used to put their heads together when they were in groups - giggling and whispering usually! I had lots of friends so I must just have been lucky...

• 5 months later...

Hi EileenH

Yes you are right nits are the eggs and lice are the runners (as I call them) have you ever seen one close up? they are absolutely vile. When I was an apprentice hairdresser a lady with long hair came into the salon to have her hair put up, now I'm going back a long way as I had to set it in rollers first, it was my first encounter with runners, when the client was under the dryer I went over to my boss for help, all she advised me to do was just put the brush though the clients hair and tell her it's to soft to put up, I felt so sorry for the client has she also had to pay and I was very embarrassed.

Later I had my own salon and one of my clients came to me and ask if I would look in her hair (this was after the junior had shampooed her hair) she had been sleeping with her children as her husband worked nights, when I looked at her hair you could not see her scalp her head was full of lice, she asked me if I would mind shaving it all off, which I did, but it did not end their the floor of the salon was covered with lice, and the junior had lice in her overall pockets, we had to close the salon for a short time. When the junior got home and told her mum, her mum made her strip off all her clothes and put them in the washer. Phew what a day!!!! If I remember lice only live a short time but they lay lots of eggs (nits)

• Upvote 1