Meadows Demolition / Clearance

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Coop Store I remember. I was an apprentice electrician workin on its refurb, late 60s early 70's. Thanks for the memory.

Wilford Crescent West and Wilford Grove still there, just been on google street view of such,

In the years of demolition of the meadows, i worked as a lorry driver for a local haulage company,i was given a job, to load a full trailer load of roofing slates, for a firm that dealt in reclaimed

Just been on BBC East Mids News that Nottingham City Plonkers (council) are looking "to bulldoze 1970's housing in the meadows" Talk about progress!

When I heard this on the news I thought I was having a serious flashback experience. I was half listening and I just heard something like, 'The Council are planning to demolish large areas of housing in the Meadows.'

I thought - Oooh - back to the future - and dashed to the mirror to see if I`d become 17 again.

Nope! Oh well - - - :0}

ditto Cheverton Court, Marple Square, some houses on Abbotsford Drive (to build a car park) all St Annes, to say nothing of Balloon Woods, Basford Flats, Hyson Green Flats etc

The pillock that designed the stalag prison blocks in Baghdad...I mean Hyson green.and Basford in the sixties actually won a design award for them....unbelievable.

By the way...Isn't it about time the whole of Hyson Green was demolished..Radford road is a disgrace of boarded up hovels.

• 1 year later...

In the years of demolition of the meadows, i worked as a lorry driver for a local haulage company,i was given a job, to load a full

trailer load of roofing slates, for a firm that dealt in reclaimed building materials, I then transported them to one of their depot,s

in Bradford York,s area. so we can say at least part of the meadows is on someone else,s roof, sad day when it was demolished

alot of my childhood memorys were in the meadows, they cant take them away, happy days

Dennis..

• Upvote 1
  • 10 months later...

The pillock that designed the stalag prison blocks in Baghdad...I mean Hyson green.and Basford in the sixties actually won a design award for them....unbelievable.

He guide dog bit him last week ;)

wasn't just a local affliction, those concrete housing schemes appeared all over the country, being the last 60's/70's I think alot of it was down to drugs! an awful lot of lsd about in those days, can't think of any better explanation!

Yes Ashley it was Kingsthorpe Close, but I dont think it was ever named Kingsthorpe Court, all the addresses would be Kingsthorpe Close.

Caunton Avenue flats were dreadful!

There were also some flats on the left at the bottom of Woodborough Road, that had 'ski slope roofs' I see they have gone too.

nearly right then, the ski slopes you refer to were Cheverton Court, they plus Marple Square were done up not that many years ago at a cost in the hundreds of thousands pounds only to be flattened not long after, must have been in every flat there in the 23 years I worked on St Ann's, probably same for rest of the 5,000 odd dwellings on the district heating inc in The Meadows when part of that was on it