Meadows Demolition / Clearance

Anyone remember Bruce Grove Meadows around the 70s?

I have a vague recollection of it, we lived at 43 Mayfield Grove, the shop on the corner, until may 1974. I used to walk past the end of Bruce Grove on the way to school (Collygate), in the days when kids were walked to school.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Coop Store I remember. I was an apprentice electrician workin on its refurb, late 60s early 70's. Thanks for the memory.

Wilford Crescent West and Wilford Grove still there, just been on google street view of such,

In the years of demolition of the meadows, i worked as a lorry driver for a local haulage company,i was given a job, to load a full trailer load of roofing slates, for a firm that dealt in reclaimed

On a family history message board I subscribe to, someone is asking the name of the large factory that used to be on the corner of Kirkwhite St and Wilford Rd. It was opposite the Magna and went all the way down to the Co-op . Doesnt say what period of time but calls it the "old meadows" .Any ideas ?

I can see a lace dressers on Wilford Rd called J.B Carter , whether this is the place , not sure .

However just read a fascinating and quite distressing research on the life of the people / children involved in lace dressing industry in Nottingham

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:MAvsgvIG8EMJ:www.cs.arizona.edu/patterns/weaving/books/ba_3_2001.pdf+lace+dressing+works+,+wilford+road+nottingham&cd=11&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

• Upvote 1

Looks like the factory on the corner of Wilford Rd and Kirkwhite Street was called Stokes and Sewell .

It was found in a Wrights Directory for 1913 and was number 115 Wilford Road. There are also some newspaper references here going into the 1940s

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/results?basicsearch=stokes%20sewell&newspapertitle=nottingham%20evening%20post&exactsearch=false

Stokes & Sewell were still at 115 Wilford Road in 1941 & were listed as Lace Dressers (Telephone 84955)Kelly's directory 1941

My next directory is 1967 & they are not featured in that.

Thanks for your post DAVID W, & the link to the article on child labour & the conditions worked in the lace industry.

It was difficult to read without feeling a degree of shame that this was common in Nottingham, as I've always been proud of the Nottingham Lace connection, don't feel quite so proud now!!

Thanks for your post DAVID W, & the link to the article on child labour & the conditions worked in the lace industry.

It was difficult to read without feeling a degree of shame that this was common in Nottingham, as I've always been proud of the Nottingham Lace connection, don't feel quite so proud now!!

Yes it is a bit harrowing . Unbelievable how young some of the workers were .There were also a couple of photos on that piece showing some residents of Knotted Alley , many of them involved in the lace trade . A couple of my wifes ancestors lived there in the 1861 Census

This is an example of how girls would almost poison themselves to get some time off :

Joint owner Mrs Cooper said that she had lost a good deal of work the last summer because she would not keep the works

going more than ‘about 13 hours or so’ a day.

Now 39, she had started at 9 years old and worked from 5 am till 12 at night

‘very often indeed. They thought five hours bed quite a treat if they were busy.’ She said that ‘All this work never hurt her’

and alleged that ‘Girls sometimes buy something as, e.g., antimonial wine*, to make themselves poorly if they want a half holiday.

* a poisonous concoction made with antimony

Funnily enough on the Nottingham facebook page , someone just commented on this pic of the Magna Charta and the adjacent shops on Wilford Road .

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM007281&pos=2&action=zoom

and a Geordie cousin Byker

re the "ski slopes" name was def Cheverton Court, over 100 flats, and access to most via steps like north face of the eigar

I built most of those steps on a sub contract basis ,they couldn't get anyone to do it as the rates were so poor but i negotiated a fantastic price and made a small fortune ......Happy days ,

I also worked on the "Medders" in !975-76 and the Nottingham film archives came round filming and i'm on film somewhere ,my mother went to a showing some years later and saw me laying bricks .

these photos are brilliant for me because the one with the phone box is taken from willersley st looking down wilford grove with kirkwhite st immiediately crossing.i hts relevant to me because i was born on willersley st and lived on wilford grove until it was pulled down. our house on wilford grove would have been the first house after the ones remaining. the photo with the post box is the same area but taken from the other way up wilford grove just above ryland cresent opposite ryland cresent would have been kirkby street.

Strangely this picture of the Magna Charta appeared on the Nottingham page of Facebook yesterday

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM007281&pos=2&action=zoom

Cheers cliff ton again it helps good memories return.example does anyone remember furies they did mosaiacs from a yard under the railway bridge where cromford st met derwent st and blackstone st. cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

The factory back left of this photograph, next to the church, may be the place you are talking about. It's taken from Queens Drive looking across the reccie. I believe the church was St Georges on Kirkwhite Street.

reccie.jpg

• Upvote 1

Alison

That is the first view I had of the Queens Drive Park since the 1960s.

I will have to look next time I go down there if anything is left?

Alison / Mick

A lovely old photograph. That is St Georges Church and it is still there and open. I had a potter round there last year to have a look

round but the church was not open. My grandad was president of the Royal British legion-the buliding was on Queens Drive and each

year the 'Remembrance day service' was held at the church after the service on the embankment.

Kind regards

Tony

Thanks Tony.

What happened to the Bowling Green, (which I had forgotten about until Alison mentioned it in the above post)