The tips on Hawthorn Street

When I was little and lived on Hawthorn Street, at the end nearer the river was a disused Council Tip where we used to play. It wasn`t used for council tipping any more but was used by the locals as an informal dump.

It was a great place to play, with its unidentifiable humps and bumps. We`d play hide and seek among the strange-smelling grassed-over hillocks and sit on dumped bags and boxes to have our little picnics of bread and jam and pop bottles of water.

We found a dead cat in a sack once and a lad kept throwing it around and making us squeal until its tail came off in his hand so he buried it under some stuff. (He probably went back to his bread and jam without washing his hands.)

Happy days! How on earth did we survive?

When I went back later I found that it had been levelled and turfed, I think as a sports ground, and fenced off.

I wonder if the people playing football etc had as much good healthy fun as we had.

And I wonder what archeologists of the future would make of Hawthorn Street if they excavated it.

We had a place in Chilwell exactly as you describe....was a fantastic adventure for us as kids ...we were allways there.....its where we used to get all our pram wheels for trolleys too....as well as playing for hours in the occasional burnt out car......Chilwells is flat now too with a house built on half of it.

The allotments on Cavendish road in Carlton were a 17th/18th/19th century tip before Carlton itself expanded. When digging potato furrows we (Me an my dad) would often come across old broken pipes (Smoking type) and old bottles, (Never found one with Greene King on it though!!!!)

A complete stone hot water bottle was about the only thing that I ever broke my spade on !!

As usual my mother sent it to a jumble sale !!! , probably worth a fortune now

Lenton lane Tip, was the place for Sunday afternoon, the forerunner of the car boot, but all for free.

*As previously mentioned a good source of the Mallard EF86, when a bright purple light interupted

your TV viewing. It was always busy with people picking through stuff.

TODAY: If you go to the tip you wil see perfectly good widescreen CRT tv's stacked up to be

destroyed. But you are not allowed to take them, and I dont think they have the EF86 anymore!

*Other threads:

Should have gone to Radio Rentals!

John Player Factory.