The Malibu Dogbowl

77 or 78 would be about right...think it became a laser place for a while too....used to go there as a picture house for years as i knew the projectionist and got in free up the fire escape.

The cinema formally situated on the corner of Derby Road and Boundary Road was originally called the Astoria. later to be the Essoldo - Lenton Abbey.

From mid-70's it was a bingo hall and finally an indoor skateboard park. I guess it was demolished around 1988.

The site is now shared by Mowlem and the Nottinghamshire PCT.

I went with my mum and dad to see "Seven brides for seven brothers" there in the 60s

This would take some digging out back @ my Mums , but i had a Malibu dog bowl membership card & it would have been around 78/79 if i remember it had 2 floors , a freestyle area with humps & bumps a few half pipes ramps and then the massive bowl.

Not sure if it was owned or rented or ran by a punk who was quite big & good on skateboarding scene in the UK @ the time, sure his name was Nick ?

It also had a skate shop inside spent a chunk of my paper round money on some pro 7 wheels which where the dogs @ the time.

It was on the next corner up from priory island D*rby Rd.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello there, just to add a little information to this thread, I worked there as a Skate Marshall until it closed because of rising insurance / running costs & the fact that the Skateboard buble had just about burst !! so it hadn't lasted very long, all the information already on here seems correct as to it's location & dates. The owners name was Nick Farren, who ran it with his brother in law Brian. Nicks son's skated the place all the time & went on to run "King Surf" surf school & board hire just up the cost from Newquay (now run by different management).Nick died just a few years ago so I've been told. There was a brief stint towards the end where many bands played gigs there on a Saturday night after the kids had left, I remember Lena Lovich playing there, Gwahire (Spell?) and many others, a bar opened up on the first floor to accomodate the over 18rs...& the odd topless barmaid made an appearance trying to pull in some cash for the place but it still went under! It was great whilst it lasted, sad when it died, I actually turned up on the Saturday to help as usual only to be left standing there looking at a very big padlock & chain round the door handles it was all over that quick!. quite a few skaters went back to skating the local spots like Hyson Green & the famous Broadmarsh Banks..only just demolished sadly... There are a few of us from Malibu still Skating (yes after all these years!!!! just don't ask me my age ;¬) )& can be seen at odd times skating the latest bowls in & around nottingam, all over the country to be honest, I have also just been involved with the new Skate /Bmx park thats about to open in Clifton ...

a few pictures can be found here in this "Malibu set"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48935837@N00/

4818367442_3f2d8b08a4_b.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 7 years later...

Hi there, 

just wanted to add that me and my friend June worked behind the bar when it first opened. We told Nick we were 18 when really we were 17. We lived on the abbey I remember some of the bands that use to play there it was around 1978 I was there when Lena Lovich played and Far image reggae band and various other bands. They’d be skateboarding during the day and at night it’d turn into social evening drink up. Newcastle brown ale was a top seller.  Every Tuesday they’d have a stripper come in and do her act. I use to feel sorry for them women all battered and bruised. Also remembered a lot of bikers use to pass through. And No we wasn’t topless maybe after our time. But it didn’t last long and yes it was a cinema before. There was a Co-op shop on the Woodside road that’s when they had stamp books and the priory was on corner of Wollaton vale and derby road. Had some good years growing up on the Abbey. My name then was Sandra Burton and my friend was June Hogkinson. Precious memories for real. 

• Like 2

Made my 1st board from half & half roller skate nailed to peice of wood, but you could only go in straight line, later when I had a proper board with pro 7 Kriptonics? Used to reach breakneck speeds down Wigman Road down to Glaisdale Drive even overtaking cars! Then hang onto the back of the 29 bus to drag us back to the top of Wigman. 

• Like 1