There was once a branch of Woolworths on Mansfield Road at Sherwood - but exactly where? And is the building still there? I remember that there used to be a building on the left going up the hill towards Daybrook after you had crossed the Winchester Street lights that looked like it might have been it, but I cannot find even that on street view etc. Anyone any ideas?

• 5 months later...

There was once a branch of Woolworths on Mansfield Road at Sherwood - but exactly where? And is the building still there? I remember that there used to be a building on the left going up the hill towards Daybrook after you had crossed the Winchester Street lights that looked like it might have been it, but I cannot find even that on street view etc. Anyone any ideas?

You are spot on with the location. Just after the traffic lights at Winchester Street going towards Daybrook. It is now a restaurant (Japenese I think)> judi

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Thanks for the reply and apologies for the inordinate delay in saying that.

Whilst on the subject of closed Woolworths branches in the vicinity of Nottingham (I mean ones that were already closed when they went out of business) there were Hockley, Hyson Green, Lister Gate, Beeston, Hucknall, and Arnold. I know where the first five were (even though I never lived near any of them, but although I lived and shopped in Arnold in 1980, I cannot identify where that branch was, apart from thinking that it was somewhere on the left going along Front Street from the High Street end towards the Croft Road junction - but even that might be wrong. Can anyone answer that and say if the premises still stand, - and were there any other branches in the Nottingham area that had already closed in the past that I have missed?

There was a branch in Clifton on Southchurch Drive - opposite the library. It was there from the very early days of Clifton and survived until the very end when Woolies disappeared for ever.

Must've spent a fortune as a kid there on Airfix kits. Every Woolworths had them.

I was a Saturday girl at the Arnold Woolworths in my last year at school. My pay for the day was 14/9d. That is, fifteen bob less a threepenny nat.insurance stamp, three times what I could get for an evening`s babysitting!

It was on Front street on the left as you go towards Nottingham - if you see what I mean.

Don`t know if the building is still there.

The Arnold Woolworths occupied two premises that I know of. The first one was on the East side of Front Street a couple of doors south of the Cross Keys pub near to Rowbotham the butchers. It then moved over the road straight opposite to the premises now occupied by Iceland before disappearing.

• 2 years later...

Thanks Stu, that's settled an argument, I was familiar with Arnold more in the 50s and early 60s whereas friends have always insisted that Woolies was where Iceland now stands.

• 2 weeks later...

thats were i remember it in the sixties thanks stu my memory was not playing tricks on me we of course had to use the back door to get in and out of.