This one is bugging me. What can you fellow Nottstalgians tell me about Farmer's of Nottingham's shop? The name is familiar but they probably closed/renamed just before my time. All info' and memories gratefully received.

Bamber

Farmers was at the top of Exchange walk at the junction with the Poultry they were haberdashers and sold buttons,dressmaking patterns,cotton etc I think that they were eventually bought out by Jessops

The location is right - there are photographs in the Douglas Whitworth's books of Nottingham in the 1960s and 70s - but it certainly wasn't Jessops which bought them (the John Lewis Partnership has grown organically). I believe it was Debenhams, who closed it because of the close proximity of Griffin & Spalding across the Square.

According to Wiki (I know) Farmer's was bought by Allder's. I wonder if this is accurate?

No it isn't.

The Broad Marsh Centre opened in 1972 with the Co-op as lead department store.

Farmers store on the corner of Exchange Walk and next to the Flying Horse, was closed in 1974 and the building demolished.

The Co-op closed the Broad Marsh store in about 1994 and Allders, which had just been floated on the Stock Exchange by its management and was using the funds generated to expand, took the lease. It had not been represented in Nottingham before then.

Ayup Rocket Ron.

Please don't take offence, but you seem to know more about this than one man should be allowed, can you expand on it any more please ?? (Because I, for one, am finding it facinating.!!)

Farmers used to have a stocking machine outside (similar to a cigarette machine) where you could buy stockings if you had a ladder during closing hours. Can`t remember how much they were but you got a little box containing a single stocking. You then had to dive down into the Ladies` across the Square to replace your laddered one.

Ayup Rocket Ron.

Please don't take offence, but you seem to know more about this than one man should be allowed, can you expand on it any more please ?? (Because I, for one, am finding it facinating.!!)

:laugh: As I said, the date for the demise of Farmers comes from Douglas Whitworth's book; I'm sure I've seen a paper bag somewhere in my mum's drawers or cupboards which came from Farmers and had "A Debenham Store" printed on it - if I can find it I'll scan and print it.

Everything else I recall here is purely from my memory, having lived in Nottingham for more than 40 years. Alas, the memory is not quite sharp enough to recall exact dates, and I'm actually quite surprised (and disappointed) that the internet is of no help. Trying to find anything about the old Co-op (the Greater Nottingham Co-operative Society) proved unsuccessful.

• 4 years later...

I worked at Farmer's store during 1969 to 1972. It was a great place to work. Friendly staff and some good laughs with staff and customers. Farmer's was owned by Debenhams. When it closed the business transferred to the Scan Superstore in the Victoria Centre. I believe that some of the staff moved to Griffin and Spalding. Farmer's building was very old and judging by the state of some of the top floor rooms I am not surprised that it was demolished.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I remember Farmers store very well . Bu one thing i can remember was the Queen etc was coming to. Nottingham think it was to the council house .the streets all round were full of people waiting to see the royal visitors and staff at Farmers were looking out the windows up stairs when a member of staff fell out . Cant remember what happened to the person as this was probably the late 50s . Can anyone else remember this ? .

I used to work with a woman called Mary in the 1970's whose husband worked at Farmers until it closed down.....He was called Ted Bettinson from Bulwell...................I can remember the store at the top of Exchange Walk, I had my first curtains made there, (gold velvet )when I married and also the white velvet dress material, I married in was bought from that store..........I did not know that it was pulled down...........

Is this a different Farmers? Not Henry Farmer?

Henry Farmer was a Nottingham musician, an organist.........James Farmer was the founder of Farmers the material shop on Exchange Walk......