Just had an e mail from an ex neighbour to say my old junior school was closing down last Friday. They were happy days then .I was there from 1955 until 1961 when I moved on to High Pavement, now also closed and demolished. Does anybody remember the teachers from those days - Mr Holmes,deputy head ,who always used to carry a huge gladstone bag everywhere,even when refereeing the football matches.My first teacher Miss Gregory, Mr Davis- a vicious little man with his strap, Mrs Towlson and Miss Dyer.The headmaster was Mr Turner who lived in Mansfield.I expect most of them are dead by now.

• Upvote 1

Welcome to the group Coggo02...

Presumably you meant Southwark Street?

If so, merely cycled past twice daily, to and from Pavement: 1953-1959.

Prior to the Nellie Bisby watering-hole stop further up Arnold Road, and the GC mainline beyond that!

Several Basfordites post on here, but they seem to be more Zulu Road/ Northgate area.

Let's have some more memories...

Cheers

Robt P.

Hi Rob I stand corrected and bow to your correct spelling.We used to go in Nellie Bisbys on the way home for a fourpenny jubbly.I used to camp on Halfpenny Bridge in the evening till the fish had gone past about 7.30 and very rarely ventured down to Arnold Road.It was always an Immingham Brit pulling it at that time, usually Hereward the Wake or Rudyard Kipling. It took me months to spot Boadicea which seemed to be quite rare.

Used to live near Basford North station and seemed to be surrounded by railway lines at that time. Still got some old photos I took with my Brownie 127.

I cannot believe what they have done to High Pavement school.Do you remember the general hilarity when some unsuspecting opposition cricketer fell over the bank chasing a lost cause? Hopefully it would be somebody who was not well liked (preferably a Woodthorpe player). I wish I could still play!

The lines you mention, remember squeaky line and grandad? didn't go there much, stuck to New Basford/Perry rd just odd trips to Arnold Rd. Remember being amazed first time I saw the incline from the rathole to the GCR up line, esp as a 9F was getting wheelspin with a heavy coal train on it, had never been other side of Valley Rd bridge till a mate moved to Heathfield Est.

By squeaky line I assume you mean the line from Basford North up to Bulwell Common up around a sharp bend where the engines and wagons used to make a tremendous racket. Not sure which line you mean by grandad.It used to amaze me how the old O4s and austerities managed to get their trains through the rathole and up to Bagthorpe Junction, often having to restart after being checked by signals coming onto the main line.At this time the engines from Colwick shed were not in the best of condition.I had a friend who lived on Harmston Rise whose house backed onto the incline from the rathole so we had a grandstand view.

...I used to camp on Halfpenny Bridge in the evening till the fish had gone past about 7.30...

The Grimsby-Whitland 'fast fish' ran much earlier in the 50's. IIRC, 16.30 at Bulwell Common. Then hauled by Doncaster B1's...often double-headed...Ourebi, Ralph Assheton, Fitzherbert Wright, A. Harold Bibby et al...

Rocking horse droppings on the day that Botanic Gardens's William Henton Carver turned up on the fish. Conked out at the Vic', not used to such hard work! The great rarity brought so many gricers to Colwick (where it awaited repair) that the shed authorities parked it outside in clear view, to deter the dozens of 'bunkers'!

Cheers

Robt P.

• 1 month later...

i thought southwark was closing, as i quite often drive up park lane and have seen the new southwark school being built, this photo was taken in about 72-73 on the church field/garden opposite.

2vbr78l.jpg

i'm on the back row fourth from the right in the red jumper with dark hair.

this friday i was in the vicinity, so i took a few photos of the school, and then i noticed that a gate into the church field was open..................

6p47qc.jpg

apart from the trees being taller it hasn't changed a bit!

then i took a few pics of the school before whatever happens to it next, happens.

ra7ss6.jpg

r2j70g.jpg

2ntxny1.jpg

s4ampv.jpg

My dad went to that school, 1918-28, mam to Percy St/Guildford. They married at St Aidan's. Both were living on Cheltenham St by then.

Absolutely disgusting.....33 kids in one class...what chance have they got???....Here's my class in the fifties.

887-1.jpg

46 of us...all as thick as pig muck...we didn't know what 6x8s was or 7x7s without a calculator.We didn't know who Oliver Cromwell was or Nelson or Churchill. And none of us could spell...or punctuate a sentence...or knew how to write a letter....or knew where milk and cheese came from.

Thank God for small classes and fantastic teachers like they have now.They all know where the local mosque is now and the phone number for Real Lawyers if they have an accident at school.And of course if one of the teachers tries to tell them how to behave...they can tell 'em to F*** off and claim compensation for stress.

Rule Soddin' Brittannia. especially if you're on the take like royalty...aint that right Fergie me old tart.

• Upvote 1

You keep it going like this Poohbear, and we just might end up friends!!

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely disgusting.....33 kids in one class...what chance have they got???....Here's my class in the fifties.

887-1.jpg

46 of us...all as thick as pig muck...we didn't know what 6x8s was or 7x7s without a calculator.We didn't know who Oliver Cromwell was or Nelson or Churchill. And none of us could spell...or punctuate a sentence...or knew how to write a letter....or knew where milk and cheese came from.

Thank God for small classes and fantastic teachers like they have now.They all know where the local mosque is now and the phone number for Real Lawyers if they have an accident at school.And of course if one of the teachers tries to tell them how to behave...they can tell 'em to F*** off and claim compensation for stress.

Rule Soddin' Brittannia. especially if you're on the take like royalty...aint that right Fergie me old tart.

Very well put !!!

Similar at Claremont Primary, am sure I recall 48 in one class? Anyone go to Scotland Rd school? I didn't but recall a lad being badly injured there when a coal lorry reversing into the school hit the gate post knocking off (so I'm told) equiv of "Atlas stone" as per World's Strongest Man, which fell on him? wondered if he recovered ok

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...