Analogue/Digital TV etc

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The short answer is,,,,,,,, No!!

You should already be recieving digital signals via your cable, courtesy of "Virgins" own decoder system.

Yes you should be ok, the earliest changeover date in this area is in March 2011, if you qualify for freebie system register asap, might sound long way off but has been over 9 weeks since I did and they are due to fit next week, can't see the waiting time coming don what with the weather and "rush" as D Day approaches.

Don't go being tempted to buy HD TVs either as they are sending the signals out on low power on purpose for now, the digital signal will be boosted to full power when everybody in 'On'

• 3 weeks later...

Could you good people please help me to work out what I need.

What I have at the moment is:-

Virgin Media Cable working off a small, old TV.

A video recorder that has not worked since we had a replacement 'set top box' thingy about 2 years ago.

An old arial on the roof that I'm not sure is working or not.

I've been advised that I won't need a new TV set at the digital change over, but have decided to get one anyway.

What I would like is:-

A slightly bigger screen but not too big,

To be able to record TV programs,

And to be able to watch films that I have on DVD disks.

Now, is there a machine that can do all this?

And what other equipment would I need?

Thank you for your help

Annie

I take it you're paying for your Virgin cable??

If so , buy a 'freeview' recorder from them and let 'their' man connect it for you . They are around £100. Then go to Currys/Comet/Argos etc in the Jan sales and pick up a combination TV/DVD for about £120

HD TV is "High Definition" ie it is supposed to be a lot clearer picture and more defined.

You don't need your ariel if you've got cable.

Hope that helps

Firstly if you are with Virgin you are without doubt paying over the odds for your TV.

Tell them you are leaving for Sky and see how much the offer to reduce it.

You need only a good UP TO DATE TV, to upgrade from what you have.

The highest standard at the moment is 1080p.

You wont see the full quality without a HD feed from Virgin, sky, freeview or Freesat.

Here I dissagree with Ian.

Buy nothing combined unless its much cheaper.

If either goes wrong you are stuck with it.

Buying a TV will depend on your budget and how far away you sit from it.

But dont be put off buying a larger tv because you are not used to one.

This is the modern age and you will soon get used to the larger screen.

People no longer have 21 inch screens.

Best deals for HD tvs can be seen on http://www.hotukdeals.com/

I bought a 42" 1080p TV after seeing it on there.

It should have been £1100, but I got it for £450.

Do you live in Nottingham?

I've got 3 'combi DVD/TVs and not had a problem with them (Touch wood!!) A medium one (32 inch ) in the dining room and two 19 inchers (Oooooer missus) upstairs.

I must admit the one in the lounge is a separate dvd / tv , maybe 'cause my DVD player/ video recorder was new when the 'telly 'went west' and the cost of a combination was quite prohibitive at the time too!! I just think that when you have so may other things to plug into the limited scart access points it makes sense to be conservative

If you buy a 1080p TV it should last you for years. (unless you want 3D)

You may want to upgrade the DVD or home cinema as Blu-ray drops in

price and becomes more common.

Only with Blu-Ray will you appreciate the true quality of the TV.

I suppose eventually there will be Blu-Ray Transmissions,

then its upgrade time again. :)

Firstly if you are with Virgin you are without doubt paying over the odds for your TV.

Tell them you are leaving for Sky and see how much the offer to reduce it.

You need only a good UP TO DATE TV, to upgrade from what you have.

The highest standard at the moment is 1080p.

You wont see the full quality without a HD feed from Virgin, sky, freeview or Freesat.

Here I dissagree with Ian.

Buy nothing combined unless its much cheaper.

If either goes wrong you are stuck with it.

Buying a TV will depend on your budget and how far away you sit from it.

But dont be put off buying a larger tv because you are not used to one.

This is the modern age and you will soon get used to the larger screen.

People no longer have 21 inch screens.

Best deals for HD tvs can be seen on http://www.hotukdeals.com/

I bought a 42" 1080p TV after seeing it on there.

It should have been £1100, but I got it for £450.

Do you live in Nottingham?

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to reply to me. I realize that Virgin Media is expensive. I have a phone, broadband and TV package from them and my TV size L costs me £12.50 a month. I am happy with the phone and broadband, but don't know if they will go up if I stop having the TV. I agree, it might be worth talking to Virgin to see what they can offer, but I don't really want to go over to Sky, and have considered Freeview, but understand that I would lose some of the channels that I watch now.

I do want a new, bigger, TV, but not really a very big one, as my sitting-room is only small and I do take on board your advice about getting getting something combined. Now, can you please explain what 1080p stands for and what other options there may be?

By the way, I do live in Nottingham.

Annie.

Samsung and Panasonic are the top sets for me.

We have a large LG in the bedroom, and a Panny downstairs.

When I bought the TV for the bedroom, SWMBO want no larger than 32".

But 42" fitted the chimney breast perfectly.

There have been no complaints from SWMBO.

720p(hd ready?) and 1080p(full HD)

Remember the change over from 405 to 625 lines.

1080P is the highest standard today.

And far more detailed than 625.

Instead of lines its now pixels (or squares)

Which also means if you are close to the screen because of smaller room, with HD on

1080p you will not see the picture breaking up into Pixels (Picture elements)

A HD TV will also display standard TV better.

Stand next to the TVs in Tescos and look at the quality of the picture.

Chances are they are just displaying Standard TV.

Even with a small room TV's are now really Home Cinemas.

Go to the tip and see how many recent wide screen Cathode Ray TVs up to 32" have been dumped.

Wanna see the world in Low Res?

Watch out for those PIXELS!

If you get a pixel go out on plasma, it's noticeable on led it's not. Plasma is old technology, power hungry and prone to fire problems.

The new generation of flat screens will either be LED or liquid crystal, with LQD's the main problem is back lighting, which has a finite life. Usually cold cathode fluorescent tubes, but the new technology will employ "white light" LED's as backlighting.

There were some good posts from those in the know on the QRZ forum a few months back, the above info was "gleaned" from what was posted.

A problem now with all consumer electronics is they were soldered together with none lead solder. Modern lead free solder contains very high tin levels and joints "grow" solder whiskers over a short period. Those in turn can and do cause serious shorts in the circuit boards.

NASA discovered this after losing a couple of satellites. The US military has gone back to lead solder.

got to get the bloke back to mine, coming tues, have 53 channels of ******* but can't get itv1, channel 4 or channel 5! actually a few good ones for me anyway, quest,yesterday, and the ones showing 1960/70's shows, anyway off to the pub, see you next year

• 2 months later...

Digital Day (Nottingham Transmitter) brilliant picture! but ********* crap sound! have to turn it up full to get anything and it buzzes, plus out of sync, about a 4 second delay! phoning em up at 8am, done so, had me turn it off and on twice and retune, (had already done this) so theres "a man" coming tomorrow!