• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was a Foster Carer and had 49 children over the years. 99% of the time were really happy times. I had two sons of my own and decided from day one that any foster child would be treated as my own. Wi

Poohbear, lots of interesting stuff on your above reference; I can see I'm due to spend quite a time reading. Incidentally an occupant of the parish workhouse: 18, St Peter's Street, Radford (later

Well to be really honest I cant remember much about Hartley Rd Childerens home I was only about 3 years old at the time. My sister told me years later,that on the day we were put into Hartley Rd home

hell again. made a mess of my first attempt. i was born in maltmill lane nottingham in 1946.in1959 i was put in hartley road childrens home . the house in the photo, my bedroom was second from right [top].there were three homes on the site run by nottingham city council .there were also other homes around the city.mr.woodings was the area manager wellbeck house was run by mr&mrs.evans and they had a son called ashley.we had to call them mar&par.there where 7girls &8boys we where well fed and clothed we went for walks in agroup ,sometimes to a park our the cinama.we all got on together iwent tocottismore school[yes on my own]the others went to other schools [yes on there own] better life than some kids today.we also went on nice holidays to skegg&mable and wales.there where three homes on the site the one behind ours was closed down before i arrived but it was formaly ran by mar&par francis.the third home was ran by mar&par jones,this was an all girls home.mar jones was alovely lady she treated all the girls like her own .my older sister margaret was in there longe before me.if eileens mum was there under her [because mar jones was there in the 30s]she would have been loved.mar jones moved to clifton to run a home there in the 60s.i left hartley in sept,1962 but i went to see her at clifton she gave me a hug she lived to a good age god bless here

Danny

Welcome and thank you for sharing that with us and putting valuable info on this thread.

Was Dame Agnes Mellors Boys club next door at that time?

We look forward to seeing your contributions in other areas.

yes I was, I have lived all over nottigham since i was born in 1946 led a very eventful life

I could write a book about growing up in narrow marsh being in care life with my first wife three sons then divorse

then meeting my lovely new partner another son and step son step doughter

13 grand children one big happy family now i)m so happy now got to get used to this computer tho

bye not so desperate dan now

Dame Agnes mellors had a raised tarmacked games area surrounded by a high wire fence.

And was on the same side of the road going towards Denman Street.

I lived at 86a Norton Street which was over Hartley Road.

I was thyere between 1965 and 1969 or about those dates

As you crossed Hartley Rd there was a chemist shop on the right.

Then an alley that ran up the back of the houses on Hartley Road,

Then mine was the first house on the right.

In the below picture roughly where the wheely bins are.

Where the new houses are on the right side was a row of terraced houses.

Further down was a square of houses called Crew Terrace.

nortonsthartleyrd.jpg

I didn't know the area back then, but this photo might bring back a few memories for people who were there.

http://www.riffdesig...ord/scatter.jpg

It's from the Chris Richards' Radford site, and the caption with it says Picture of Hartley Road Scattered Childrens Home as seen from Norton Street, early 1900s -

I watched a film crew making part of the film.

saturday night & sunday morning at this location 1960's

My brothers Lambretta was at the side of the road in that film...He saw it several times with different girlfriends just so he could say..."There's my scooter"...You'd swear blind he had a part in the film the way he went on about it... :laugh:

I watched a film crew making part of the film.

saturday night & sunday morning at this location 1960's

I have not see SNaSM for some years, but I remember seeing a brick archway under some houses that I recognised as being opposite my house at that time. I wonder if that portion is on youtube.

SNaSM filming locations are discussed elsewhere in these forums

yes I was, I have lived all over nottigham since i was born in 1946 led a very eventful life

I could write a book about growing up in narrow marsh being in care life with my first wife three sons then divorse

then meeting my lovely new partner another son and step son step doughter

13 grand children one big happy family now i)m so happy now got to get used to this computer tho

bye not so desperate dan now

That was short and sweet! Tell us a bit about yourself, Danny, did you grow up in Nottingham?

Hi there,

Yes i was born in the broad marsh area of Nottingham and moved into other areas as i grew up.

I was also born in 1946,April.

Are you from nott's, if so when did you leave.

By the way that was an error that i sent you, I'v not had this computer long,' it's all a bit new to me.

By

Danny

Yes, Nottingham born and bred, live in Cinderhill from birth ['46] to marriage in '68. Then lived in Langar, Radcliffe on Trent and Surrey, before emigrating in '86 to Arizona.

• 3 months later...

any body know if this building was the workhouse before it became childrens home my great grandmother and her children spent some tome in there turn of the centurie.

little billie who was the st cleaner around lenton and also the glass collector at the white hart born 1908 spent much of his child hood in hartley rd boys homebut when he talked to you about it he always seemed to have fond memories of the home.in his later life he used to come to the lunch club i help to run at lenton comunity centreand when we had our christmas meal he would always stand up and resight a poem or monaloughtold us when he was in the home the children had to all resight something as they waited for their dinner to be served. billy would often sit and tell us stories of his early life in the home. and things wernt always easy or nice for him , but he still had fond memories too. but i think he did notrealy know anything much diferent.

I was a Foster Carer and had 49 children over the years. 99% of the time were really happy times. I had two sons of my own and decided from day one that any foster child would be treated as my own. Without going into any detail many of the children had experienced horrific and tragic times and it was heartbreaking to hear them. Not all of them were like this. I remember a young girl having a baby with her boyfriend and her parents kicking her out of the house. She had nowhere to live so the baby was placed with us. I allowed the mother to visit my home daily to feed and love her baby and when she'd sorted her accommodation and life out the baby was returned to her. A week later she returned to my home with her baby and boyfriend with a bouquet of flowers and a box of chocolates to say thanks for allowing her to be with her baby. Many years ago Social Services was completely different to what it is now. My house was full of black and white kids (which wouldn't be allowed today) and I bought a Ford Transit mini bus. We'd all pile in and go to Skeggy or Mablethorpe for the day. I'd hire a beach chalet and the kids would play in the sea and sand and then tuck into the sausage and beans. On the way there and on the way back the kids would sing their hearts out. I often wonder what happened to them all and if they still remember their stay at my home.

• Upvote 3

:smile: A Beautiful story Michael. I wouldn't be surprised if one day some of those children that you gave happy times to will come seeking you out; moments of kindness remain forever anchored in the heart. :smile:

I have given you a tick for your poignant story.