• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was a Foster Carer and had 49 children over the years. 99% of the time were really happy times. I had two sons of my own and decided from day one that any foster child would be treated as my own. Wi

Poohbear, lots of interesting stuff on your above reference; I can see I'm due to spend quite a time reading. Incidentally an occupant of the parish workhouse: 18, St Peter's Street, Radford (later

Well to be really honest I cant remember much about Hartley Rd Childerens home I was only about 3 years old at the time. My sister told me years later,that on the day we were put into Hartley Rd home

Poohbear, lots of interesting stuff on your above reference; I can see I'm due to spend quite a time reading.

Incidentally an occupant of the parish workhouse: 18, St Peter's Street, Radford (later known as Peveril House) was a well-known Radford character name of Frankie Buller. Alan Sillitoe (Nottm writer) used Frankie's character and traits in some of his short stories.

• Upvote 1

Thanks jackson, wouldn't it be nice if one day I got a knock on the door. The thing is, they were too young to know where I lived. My reward is that for a short time they had some happiness in their lives. My hope is that they would find a lasting happiness in their lives. I never think of a different scenario.

yeh micheal but remember now a child who has been in care can now days can ask to read there care notes once they are 18 years old and these will tell them about the places they were placed for whatever reason they ended up in care might have been long term or maybe just short term while a parent was ill , and they will know that some one cared enough to take care of them for that time they were with you my friends jean and time were foster carers for many years even adopting some of the children in there care the last one is know about 8 years old . brilliant couple jean has won a couple of awards for her sevices to the care system

Best leave it like that then Michael . . . .

When I was a child in infant school, I loved to be chosen to read for Miss Ward's class; Miss Ward taught those children who were a little bit slower than the rest of us in learning.

Miss Ward - an elderly lady with a bun at the back of her head - would greet me and introduce me; then I'd be given a story she'd chosen to be read to her class. After I'd finished, a huge jar of toffees would be taken from out of the store cupboard and she'd tell me to choose two.

Looking back on my school life, Miss Ward stand out as the best teacher I came across: it was her love for her pupils, the time she took with them - despite their 'handicap' - but most of all I remember her for her kindness . . . :smile:

yes its funny how one teacher always sticks out on your mind i was not the brightest button in the box but i always tried my best, as most of you have realized by now i still have problems with my writing and spelling reading now not realy a problem but due to my dyslexiia i always had problems reading out aloud as i had taught myself a different way to read and sort out different words so it took me so much longer to read it out aloud than it did every one else, but i loved being in mrs starbucks class in the infants school because she would get me to read last knowing i had already read and sorted it out in my head befor she got to me,

in the junior school it was mr taylor i liked because he i got on with him quite well and he always listened to me in discutions and when there was extra milk he gave it in a fair way by asking for spellings or sums in turn so although my spelling was rubish i was good at maths and my hand was always up first withe anwer and i ussually got it right and i got a bottle of milk at the end of the day too and i always loved milk at any time still do if it comes to it ice cold or hot milky coffee or drinking chocolate specially when its coldwhen you come in i also like ced coffee when its hot very refreshing

oh i forgot senior school a teacher i particularly liked as most were quite alright to be taugh by but one i did not like or get on with and she did not like meas i had always loved to sew and embriodier from being about 7 years oldand could do all the things she was teaching quite wellbye that time and she was always making me undo thing said i had done it wrong i know this was so rest of the class had time to catch upthe only thing i could never get on with was treadle sewing machines mrs collier hit me with my ruler one day and i hit her back i think i have told this story before on here but the out come was she sent me to head mistress and refused to have me in her class any more sent to art teacher to ask if i could go in her classes when i had needle worl with pleasure she said i was in the second year then and my friend was in the fourth year and it happened to be her art class soiwas well happy we worked on costumes for school plays and made embrodierd cussions for the staff room when they were being put in the staff room mrs collier was thereand saying how nice they were the art teach said well actually barbara hasmade mostof them her face was a picture if looks could kill both me and the art teacher would be dead and art teacher gave a sly thumbs up.

i was only twelve at the time micheal and usually very qiet and shy in and well behaved in school but she hit me cause i screamed out in shock when one of my class mates tipped my chair back . but what really made me mad was she did not even bother to ask why i had screamed out just picked up my ruller and hit me across back of legs being a needle work class i could have injured myself with needle pins or sissors for al she knew. there was a bit of a follow up to that too because when i got home my dad noticed the mark from the ruler on my leg and asked how i got it he was furious when i told him what happened next morning he was dressed and ready to go to school with me . he insisted on seeing the head and mrs collier i was sent to my class room apparently he played merry hell with both of them my dad was only 4ft 8inch tall and usually a very easy going guy and would not normally be the one to go into school for anything but left mum to do that sort of thing . but if anybody really upset him he would really blow his top. and i am afraid i am lot like him and i dont forgive easily. but mrs collier was made to appologize to me in front of him and the head but i still continued going into art clas as i did not want to go back into her classes.as i said i am quite easy going and dont like to cause trouble with anybody but start on me or mine and i will certainly stick up to you even if it ment a physical fight when i was younger and i did not very often come off the worst for wear at the end of it learnt at a young age being next to youngest in a big family to speak up for myself and look after myself if igot into a fight with anybody girl or boy i just use my voice nowdays and i dont need to use fowl languageto get my point across and i dont back down . but offten end up in tears after because i have lost my temper not couse somebody got the better of just the after math of the tention

hi thomas were you old enough to remember your time when you were there i would and i am sure many others would love to here your experiences there if you feel you can tell us about them

Thomas - if you feel that you can - it would be interesting to know of your experience in the home. I'm sure there's many of us can remember the building and like me, wondered what it was like inside there.

Well to be really honest I cant remember much about Hartley Rd Childerens home I was only about 3 years old at the time.

My sister told me years later,that on the day we were put into Hartley Rd homes ( Me,my 2 brother's and sister, she was 7 at the time ) that it was a cold winter's day and I was dressed in some kind of all in one red jacket and trouser suit ,and that she gave a threepenny bit to stop my bawling my eyes out.

What I remember is, being put on a white rocking horse covered with lots of coloured stones.

Adults walking around pointing at us kids, as though they were choosing what kid they wanted to foster,if that was the case or not I dont really know, but we were all split up and I did not know I had brother's and a sister until 10 years later

Next thing I remember is being fostered out to a woman called Mrs Booth who had a big black dog and budgie, and had the radio on non-stop or so seemed ( BBC Light Service ). Facial memories of this woman I have non, but I do remember her tying me to a chair with a rope and wielding a kitchen knife, and telling me that if I wet the bed once more she would cut my willy off,what a great start in life. lol And worse was to come later on in life with other foster parents,I could tell stories about my life that would make your hair curl, that's if if you dont have curly hair already lol

Anyway you will have to excuse my bad English, never been very good at writing, so,I will leave to up to the reader to put the hyphens, apostrophe's, full-stops, commas, and all the other little bits and pieces that should be in. lol

Anyway I gave it a go.

• Upvote 1

What Stu said!

THANKS FOR SHEARING THOMAS AND NEVER WORRY ABOUT YOUR ENGLISH ON HERE YOU HAVE ONLY TO LOOK AT MINE ITS WHAT YOU WRITE THAT COUNTS AS I AM SO OFTEN TOLD., NOT HOW TOU WRITE OR PUT IT, I KNOW SOMETIMES MINE COMES OUT ALL RUBBISH BUT NO ONE REALLY SEEMS TO MIND

• Upvote 1

WE ARE ON HERE AS PIGGY AND BABS BUT MOST ON HERE KNOW ITS ME BABS THAT USSUALLY DOSE ALL THE WRITE UP ON HERE, PIGGY IS MY HUSBAND DAVE.

THE MAIN REASON HARTLY RD HOMES FASINATE ME IS BECAUSE MY GREAT GRAND MOTHER AND HER CHILDREN SPENT TIME IN THE WORKHOUSE THERE LATE 1800S AFTER HER HUSBAND DIED LEAVING HER A WIDOW AGE 23 ,PLUS I KNEW ONE OR TWO OLD PEOPLE WHOWERE BROUGHT UP IN THE BOYS HOME 1920S AND I AM INTERESTED IN SOCIAL HISTORY AND FAMILY HISTORY.

HOPE WE HAVE NOT DUG UP TO MANY UNHAPPY MEMORIES FOR YOU.

Thomas, many thanks to you for sharing your experiences.

Do not worry about punctuation etc; if you feel the urge to write, then Do. Content is the most important thing; the reader will not be bothered about your grammar, especially when your writing is compelling - what you have is valuable history inside of you.

:smile:

After reading the post by Thomas I'd like to say that the Mrs. Booth he mentions is not my wife or any relation of mine. I am mentioning it because I have already stated that I've fostered children in the past and beside's, Thomas is older than my wife and I. There is so much sadness and suffering in this world for children like Thomas through no fault of their own. I began fostering to bring a little love and happiness into their lives for the time they were at my home. There are always going to be bad apples and Thomas was unfortunate enough to find one but there are thousands of good apples also.

• Upvote 1

After reading the post by Thomas I'd like to say that the Mrs. Booth he mentions is not my wife or any relation of mine. I am mentioning it because I have already stated that I've fostered children in the past and beside's, Thomas is older than my wife and I. There is so much sadness and suffering in this world for children like Thomas through no fault of their own. I began fostering to bring a little love and happiness into their lives for the time they were at my home. There are always going to be bad apples and Thomas was unfortunate enough to find one but there are thousands of good apples also.

I would just like to make it clear that the Mrs Booth I mentioned is not a relative or otherwise connected with Mr & Mrs Micheal Booth who are members on this site. Also the Mrs Booth I mentioned in my Hartley Rd Childerens Home post Would now be about 120 years old,so I very much doubt if she is around anymore. Sorry if to have caused any kind of hassel.

Thomas